JJ facing a 5bet

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was convinced that villain has QQ or better. Would you call here?

Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 300/600 (75 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 5,170 (9 bb)
UTG+1: 23,063 (38 bb)
MP: 18,640 (31 bb)
MP+1: 18,267 (30 bb)
LP: 10,902 (18 bb)
CO: 34,243 (57 bb)
BU (Hero): 17,558 (29 bb)
BB: 29,326 (49 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,200) Hero is BTN with J J
UTG calls 600, 4 players fold, CO raises to 1,200, Hero 3-bets to 3,300, 1 fold, UTG 4-bets to 5,095 (all-in), CO 5-bets to 34,168 (all-in), BU (Hero) folds

Flop: (14,690) 8 Q A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (14,690) 5 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (14,690) 9 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 14,690

Showdown:
CO shows 7 7 (a pair of Sevens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 82%, Flop: 90%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

UTG shows 6 6 (a pair of Sixes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 10%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

CO wins 14,690

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nice nick ! i love that lool
nice hand ;)

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is either a freeroll or a micro buyin tournament.. 4bet allin with 66 and call with 77 - no matter what the action is behind?? lol

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your fold was ok...
With 2 opponents you are absolutely right to assume that you probably
in a coinflip or worse against at least one hand...

I think your decission makes more sense than to assume that you are up against 2 small pairs and your stack is big enough to wait for a sweeter spot to risk your tourney live.

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a fold here is ok. Although such a minraise after utg limp is often not strong. By the hand it seemed to be a micro tournament, and a 5bet all in is usually stronger. But as you can see, sometimes people just play bingo and are totally crazy and unpredictable.:D

That's the problem with so bingo tournaments. Often you look here in a better hand and sometimes they do not have much.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its not so much the 5 bet but being against 2 players is more of an issue. We know we are slightly ahead in a flip vs 1 player but 2 players we maybe against better hand and all 3 over cards. Then taking into account the 5 bet and I think its an easy fold here. Yes this time you were ahead but how many times would you be behind, Fold and forget about it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a pretty hilarious micro stakes hand. First we have UTG limping into the pot with a stack size, where he should either fold or shove. And then we have CO mini-raising, which is just really strange against a limper, unless its a mis-click.

I think, when the action get to us, we have to already make up our mind, if we think, one of them is trapping with a really big hand like KK or AA. If a regular suddenly limp UTG with 9BB, this smell really bad, and I would probably just call and see, what happen behind me. If all hell break loose, then I can fold, and I only lost 2BB.

However if we think, they are fishy, its fine to raise this up, but then we just have to go with our hand in my opinion. We are mostly worried about CO here of course, and how likely is it really, that he would mini-raise a big hand and then only put money in, when UTG has committed his 9BB already?

Its essentially like a back-raise, and while people SOMETIMES backraise with aces, its much more common, that they show up with a hand like 77. He was trying to see a cheap flop, and when he was no longer getting the right price to setmine, he could not get himself to fold a pair, so instead he went all in.

By 3-betting and then folding to a jam, we kind of got the worst of both worlds and allowed a donkey to bluff us off the best hand. So I dont love this particular line, but in your defense this was a pretty awkward situation for JJ with the stack sizes involved. So I dont think, what you did was terribly bad.

Also if you move up, where players are better, a hand like this will pretty much never happen. UTG will jam his 66, CO will fold his 77 (this is part of the reason, why 66 should jam), and you have an easy call for 9 BB with your JJ. So I would not worry to much or beat myself up over this one.

Last edited:
bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the fold here, at higher stakes, I don't think people are going to be 5 betting 77. At low stakes though, people are going to be much looser.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good fold under any normal circumstances. JJ is a seductive hand. Looks big but isn't. I decided to not fold in a similar hand yesterday with JJ and ran into KK. Wish I had folded.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In retrospect wow - what a nice chip stack that could have been - if you only had the guts to pull the trigger!! HAHA jk
Seriously though - looking back on that a call would have worked in that spot, however UTG or CO would have at some point bluffed that runout - and it's obvious at that point your loosing to anything right, except for those hands.

I agree totally with the fold - more commonly you are up against, Ax, KK, K/Q, Q/J, QQ, and that flop would have crushed your hand.

First we have UTG limping into the pot with a stack size, where he should either fold or shove. And then we have CO mini-raising, which is just really strange against a limper, unless its a mis-click.

I think, when the action get to us, we have to already make up our mind, if we think, one of them is trapping with a really big hand like KK or AA. If a regular suddenly limp UTG with 9BB, this smell really bad, and I would probably just call and see, what happen behind me. If all hell break loose, then I can fold, and I only lost 2BB.

However if we think, they are fishy, its fine to raise this up, but then we just have to go with our hand in my opinion. We are mostly worried about CO here of course, and how likely is it really, that he would mini-raise a big hand and then only put money in, when UTG has committed his 9BB already?

By 3-betting and then folding to a jam, we kind of got the worst of both worlds and allowed a donkey to bluff us off the best hand. So I dont love this particular line, but in your defense this was a pretty awkward situation for JJ with the stack sizes involved. So I dont think, what you did was terribly bad.

Although on the surface this looks like a true/predictable freeroll/micro event hand, I wouldn't be so hasty to state that just because of the play from the two with small pocket pairs.
We don't know about UTG player. Maybe he/she just got coolered and the remaining stack is all that is left after being chip leader for over two hours. Although I would not limp in that spot either, a min-raise isn't unreasonable. If you get 3bet - either all-in or fold. Makes it easy for us in that spot - if we put ourselves in that spot. Shoving pre is also easy - but we will often be called by worse A/x and loose.
I agree shoving pre IS the more obvious choice, but with such as small stack - we ARE getting called by ANY of the remaining players with two broadway cards, Any A8+ or any pocket pair. I'm just putting myself in UTG's shoes - as someone who might have just been coolered - and min-raising isn't unreasonable.

Background on UTG player would be nice to have here.

CO player is obviously the weak player. Both the min-raise and the shove with 7s. Just bad play all around.

As for the 3bet - I'd much prefer the jam from seat 7, to get heads up with UTG, even if they are holding premium I'm not scared to be flipping head up vs that player. Assuming Seat 6 would fold - which is a terrible assumption by me with no history on that player - but now we know - that player is weak and will be exploited in the future when we play together.
I also don't hate the fold after the two shoves, but even making the call on the min-raise isn't terrible, although it really is - looking at the flop.

Tuff one - preflop fold is also acceptable with crappy JJs too! :) A/K & JJ - worst hands in holdem!

I never limp -- but when I do -- it's JJ or A/K.

Last edited:
Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not surprised at your game, because I would have done the same. I am surprised at the hands of rivals
preview.jpg

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll go with you can bluff a good player but a bad player will just stack off,you made the right fold ,with a couple of donkeys like that just wait it out and they will end up just giving you there chips:smile:

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you've played the SnG against 2 opponents throw jj was a wrong decision. In this particular hand, you would have lost Seto of 6. In the overwhelming number of hands you would have won. On the flop you give a very small range of qq, kk, aa. More chances than the Ajss hand, Aq, Ak. Playing SnG you may not have enough information against not good famous players. This means that in position against 2 opponents you would not necessarily even wait for the aggression, you are supposed to play 4b or all in if they are pretty tight. I would have gone all in, because he knew that they could be a pair with that at that depth, they will play a limp and can hit the flop, chances are minimal but their aggression on the turn I would be afraid to continue, and I would have dropped the majority of cases the best hand. Therefore, it is easy all in preflop.

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker play

I think that playing with 66 or 77 with all the chips they have without seeing the flop is a random game is not poker greetings