J8 suited on the button unsure?

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am unsure if I played this fine I mean post flop I think I played fine but pre flop im not sure I should have just folded the 3 bet raise or not ? my reasoning was to 4 bet small to see if he was actually strong so if he 5 bets all in I can just fold had this been a 6 max or a full ring I probably would have folded but where it is a 3 handed zoom table I figured he was trying to get me off the pot any insight would be welcomed even that of criticism it goes hand in hand and would help me out immensely for future games thanks so much

https://www.boomplayer.com/29937160_5F494BFE04

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand has gotten me into serious trouble and I have removed it from much of my ranges. It will be interesting to see what the collective says.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i tend to stay away from jack 8 suited even on the button

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you were both semi-bluffing pre-flop with weak'ish hands. You were setting him up for another bluff (c-bet) on the flop implying a big pair. You had position and got super lucky; he didn't. Your odds pre-flop were approx. 2:1 against you. A lot depended on who caught the flop and who didn't. In this case you hit a dream flop. He didn't believe you were playing an 8 or JJ, QQ, KK or AA. You having the latter four hands made sense as played and I'm not clear on why he continued and actually made the play on the river.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have very limited experience of zoom poker i always thought people played tighter in that format. But generally in 6 max it's not the best combo to use as a 4bet buff as you dont hold any blockers to QQ KK AA AK AQ. For me it's not personally a call either vs the 3bet that's a little loose for me so 4betting is a better option than flatting.It really depends on your Btn range if your opening say 45% on the btn your defending range vs a 3 bet might look somethng like a 40% defending range. I think that's pretty reasonable anyway.

4bet value
JJ+,AKs,AKo
4bet bluff
A5s-A2s,K8s,Q8s,J8s/Optional ATo
Call vs 3bet
TT-66,AQs-A6s,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T8s+,97s+,86s+,76s,AQo-AJo,KQo

I generally don't think you need to be that balanced in the micros though. And you can play tighter vs unknonwns until you build an image of them. I tend to look for the playablility the blockers and the nutted potential in hands. And blockers become far more important with your 4bets.

Last edited:
ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This star, the game does not depend on the right and wrong decisions .

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How I would play this hand:
Option #1, fold pre-flop, 90%.
Option #2, go all-in (bluff), 5%.
Option #3, smooth-call, 5%.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion you played correctly, made a beautiful move, congratulations.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with the chicken on this move, your just asking to loose someserious funds with anybody with a decent hand, so mnay flushes to be had online. But if you don't play something your going backwards!

This hand has gotten me into serious trouble and I have removed it from much of my ranges. It will be interesting to see what the collective says.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a hand I would fold 100 % of the time.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call the 3-bet for sure, just call I think 4bet isn't that good. In the turn I would bet because in Micro stakes players call too loose and they call flop, turn and river, you're loosing a street that you could have bet

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks everyone its definitely something that I need to work on stop being so loose even three handed appreciate all the feedback

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once you feel more comfortable with your game, J8 suited can become a very powerful hand, even in early positions. If you are unsure, try to play it very sparingly. It can cost you a lot in the long run if you don't know how to play it.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I think you got really lucky here I fold this hand preflop 100% of the time and say oh well when I see the hand play out. I just can't play that loose sorry not even from the button.
JTs is the lowiest I will go on connected suited cards it starts getting -EV from there and I'm a +EV player so you will not catch me playing the lower connect suited cards even like some of your other players will it just starts getting alittle crazy when you do because you can get beat by higher flushes when you start doing that I learned my lesson at the live poker rooms when it came to that LOL it happens all the time there so I stick to higher suited connectors and don't have to worry about that anymore.. :icon_king

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great hand...if you had just called the pre-flop raise it would probably have played out the same way only with him betting and you calling down to the river.
I think there was nothing wrong with playing J8s in a zoom format. You are correct that some players like to push players off their hands early because the zoom feature makes it easy to just fold and move on. So I would have bet to see if I could buy the pot and when the raise came I would have called. Playing zoom means you have jsut about zero information on the other player so you need to use the tools that you have left...position and aggression. And that;s what you did.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
J8 and J8s are marginal hands at best in limit Texas holdem, and borderline unplayable in any situation in no limit Texas holdem.The biggest problems that these hand present are that a single pair will almost never win and when you are able to hit a straight or flush, it will not always be the best possible hand. This leads to playing these hands in a passive manner, and the best strategy is an aggressive playing style.