Introduction to ICM - CardsChat Training Video

L

LuckyLuke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm LuckyLuke, a new coach on Cardschat. I'll be producing short theory and hand history videos on a regular basis. Whenever one goes up live I'll post a link here in the forum and would welcome any discussion / comments / questions.

This first video is a short introduction concerning ICM effects, using Holdem Resources Calculator. Do let me know what you think!

I'm also offering private coaching, and special discount rates for Cardschat members. Feel free to hit me up by PM to enquire about that. I run free 20 min consults on Skype for all new enquiries about MTT coaching, and I also coach mental game (and I'll put out some mental game videos soon too!)

It's a pleasure to be part of the Cardschat community, looking forward to working with you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the video Luke - look forward to many more!

(Trying to figure out why it did not embed - we will fix that for you)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Wonderful to have you here Luke. :) I look forward to more good things!

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice little video Luke, thanks for your insight on ICM effects.
Looking forward to viewing further submittals
Oh ya, welcome to the board….. lol

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks for the quick intro to ICM, Luke! Great to have you join us!

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this. I'll definitely watch it later.
But mods, can you please arrange this video series in a tidy way? Like maybe making a main sticky thread & keep adding the videos in the first post
Same goes with Ryan's videos as well

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for this. I'll definitely watch it later.
But mods, can you please arrange this video series in a tidy way? Like maybe making a main sticky thread & keep adding the videos in the first post
Same goes with Ryan's videos as well

Thanks! Open to suggestions - but 20-30-40 videos in 1 post is a really bad idea. :)

(but let's keep the suggestions out of this thread so it can stay on topic)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting. This is the first time I've taken a look at ICM. Could you explain what the numbers are derived from, and how/when ICM is most useful "in general terms"? I'm not sure I have the base knowledge needed to understand the video. I kind of get it, but not completely.

The "model" seems to suggest that I (and most of the players that I see in the CC League games) generally play way too tight. Actually I'm one of the looser ones, and I also have one of the worst records. When I do decide to shove with some of the weaker hands that the ICM model recommends I invariably lose (90% of the time?). I was going to say that I invariably get called by better, but that's not nearly as consistent as losing is in that situation, regardless of what I get called with. I'm wondering if this is just variance, or am I missing something bigger?

Thanks in advance for your patience Luke and for providing this series of helpful videos.

Last edited:
A

alezdsgs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for This

Thanks you friend! The videos are very good! I need practice more :D

L

LuckyLuke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone. Matt Ryder, ICM generally will have you playing tighter in late game and around the bubble than in the mid or early stages of a tournament, but do bear in mind that these ranges are for fairly short stacked poker so ranges will still look somewhat wide. ICM numbers are generated via an algorithm which looks at the relative stack sizes left in the tournament and estimates a cash expectation of your current stack size based on the frequency with which you will finish in different positions within a given payout structure. This is based on calculating every stack in relative size against all other stacks, so an ICM calculation will be unique to every given hand and attendant stack distribution between remaining players. Many, many recreational players play too tight. Many play too passive. Your 90% figure of how often you bust when shoving light is unlikely to be accurate :) but it might feel that way sometimes! We tend to remember the beats more than the times things work out. Variance is a big deal in the short term!

Best,

LuckyLuke

H

HodCohen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great video and super useful concept, especially when talking about making a deal on final table.

Thanks Luke!