In satellite tournaments. Do you ever fold AA preflop? I have done it once before.

U

urchdog07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done it once before to the big stack. But that’s it

T

trixxxter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only folded AA pre-flop, once, ever. It was ACR's Million Dollar Sunday and it was the first hand and someone was all in.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No but there were times I wish I did.

Aristodemus_

Aristodemus_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're in a position where you can comfortably wait it out to the prize ticket, then I would just sit out. If you're borderline, then you can't fold aces.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now,why would i fold the Best hand in poker? :p That would be silly,,,,

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You shouldn't have done it. I can't even begin to understand why would anyone, ever fold AA pre-flop. And all the talks about being near the bubble, scared to lose to big stacks, I mean that talk is really really bad if you want to keep playing poker. The reasoning behind it is bad, the fold is bad..

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My preference of how to play it is to bet half a stack, so I avoid getting equal hands like 72, then after the flop all in

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not yet but it all depends on how close you are to the pay out

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i fold because top 10 paid we have 12 left i have top 6 stack why i shoud risk with tournament when i win whatever

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have but it was only to avoid risking being thrown out of the money. Aces get cracked all the time and if you are on the edge of making or not making a profit, put off calling.

ggf99

ggf99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only folded AA pre-flop, once, ever. It was ACR's Million Dollar Sunday and it was the first hand and someone was all in.
How did you run this MDS? It's important!!!

Sometimes you have to fold rockets in satellites.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its a 10 seat gt satellite folding aint bad but if the shorts dbl up youre gonna have to make a move to stay afloat and youre gonna be wishing for AA but hey id prolly call but its prolly mathematicallly correct to fold

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally never because even if they go all in and we are on the bubble, I'd just take the chance to guarantee myself a ticket instead of just waiting it out and potentially get too short stacked.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never folded aa preflop, ever.
but if I do, i'll let you know
I can understand where it could be the correct thing to do in a satellite,
but I have never been in that position yet

M

Milan Godhania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I may have folded 5 years ago but don't remember the reason. The only time to do that would be a hand 2 hand moment or if three or more players with big stack called all in.

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I havent folded them preflop but I have post flop if its obvious they have the nuts

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have folded KK and AA many times in sats where I am comfortably going to win a ticket if I just fold and wait it out, why would you risk it if you don't need to?

Everyone that is saying no matter the situation it is bad to fold it needs to reevaluate the situation.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK many times, AA maybe 2-3 times. Can be profitable. Actually VERY profitable in some situations.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I can and would. It would have to be close enough to winning the seat that I already have it in the bag and the only way I loose the seat is if I play a hand like this and loose a ton or all my chips.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately it depends on the situation sometimes is better to let AA's go.​

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
In satellites it is a most to be able to fold aces if it is say 90% chance or better that you can fold your way to survive the bubble. This is of course late in the tournament.

One of the hardest things to understand for players that is not used to satellites: it is about survival - knocking out other players is a bonus.

Read Poker satellite Strategy by Dara O'Kearney. One of the few (if not only books) on the subject.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I folded AA when I played at the final table with a small stack and before me 2players put all-in.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a Sat on the bubble it's fine to fold it if you have a Stack that is going to make it anyways. no reason to Risk it, even with AA because if you finish with a stack of 2bb or 200bb doesn't matter.
if you fold AA preflop in the early stage of a MTT to an all-in because you are "afraid to lose", then you should quit poker!
Now,why would i fold the Best hand in poker? :p That would be silly,,,,
OP refers to satellites. there are some situations where calling with AA would be stupid.
for example: sat to Sunday Million. 10 Tickets gtd, 11 Player left. UTG shoves 20bb, UTG+1 reshoves for 21bb, button calls for 20bb; you sit in the BB with AA and 15bb;
so 3 People all-in and chances are really high that at least 1 busts. so folding AA is the best Play because we don't have to win this pot.
I folded AA when I played at the final table with a small stack and before me 2players put all-in.

I understand the idea of laddering in this spot, but on the other Hand it would be the best way to tripple up and having a Chance to win the Tournament.
AA is too strong, so you can't fold in this spot, even with 2 People all-in. I think you have at least 66% to win the Hand.

Folding in Poker Poker Tells