The importance of adapting to a particular style of play.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have read a lot about the different game styles and the importance of choosing one, there is a lot of difference between MTT, SNG and cashgame. Nothing prevents a player from mastering both modes, but it is much more difficult to master both, there are several probabilities, strategies and objectives involved in each modality, what works for one does not necessarily work for another, which defines whether our whether or not it will be profitable depends on many variables.

starting from this point I have a dilemma, for me it is very difficult to play tournaments where the skills of the players is very different. I can not get profitable moves against players at very different skill levels, it is necessary to vary the style according to the opponents, I prefer to play against medium or good opponents, than against very bad opponents.

I'm playing the monsterseries freerolls of the partypoker and players who shoo any 2 hands, pay allin with a very wide range, almost anytwo, and also there are good players, due to the dynamics of the game I end up losing myself between the different levels and sometimes I lose for worse hand out of position.

Consequently I end up not being able to perform well when I go back to playing the modalities that I was already managing to overcome many opponents previously. so I'm controlling to not let me play is affected by the other games not so important that I participate.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
starting from this point I have a dilemma, for me it is very difficult to play tournaments where the skills of the players is very different. I can not get profitable moves against players at very different skill levels, it is necessary to vary the style according to the opponents, I prefer to play against medium or good opponents, than against very bad opponents.

I know what you mean and I find myself in the same position a lot. You have to adjust your game, its that simple. You have to know that if you are playing a micro tournament the play is going to be quite different that if you are playing a 25.00+ tournament. If I'm feeling pretty loose that day and want a lot of action I will go with a lower buy in tournament. If I'm feeling fresh I will play a larger buy in tournament. I know a micro tournament is going to be a lower level of play, I'm going to get called by the phone book. I know a higher buy in is going to be players with a more solid game.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash vs. tourney: Play what you're good at.

I'm playing the monsterseries freerolls of the partypoker and players who shoo any 2 hands, pay allin with a very wide range, almost anytwo, and also there are good players, due to the dynamics of the game I end up losing myself between the different levels and sometimes I lose for worse hand out of position.

Consequently I end up not being able to perform well when I go back to playing the modalities that I was already managing to overcome many opponents previously. so I'm controlling to not let me play is affected by the other games not so important that I participate.

There is nothing wrong with being a great "cash game" player who never plays tournaments. If you're winning at cash games, play cash games. You can throw in tournaments for fun, but if tournaments are messing with your winning cash games then i would say don't play them at all until you've solidified your cash game play a lot more. Solidified it to the extent that tournaments will not affect it.
I know that seeing those GTD payouts for tournaments can look very tempting, but first ask yourself this, "could I win at a cash game if I played for 5 hours straight?" Remember, that's exactly what you have to do to pull down a first place tourney victory if not longer. In a cash game you can play for an hour and stand up with a good size winnings, then come back an hour later and do it again. With a tournament, you have to grind it out the entire way which can be a "shocking" experience to an established cash game player.
Also, with a tournament the blinds go up rather quickly compared to a cash game where they do not go up at all. You have to ask yourself if you playing appropriately and adjusting as the blinds are increasing.
The second question is, if you took that same buy-in amount and played cash games for 5 hours over a much longer period of time by breaking up your sessions, how much could you win and is it more than what the guaranteed payouts are for the tournament. If you're beating the cash games, then odds are the answer is you could finish with a lot more money playing cash games for 5 hours with breathers in between sessions.
Ultimately, being good at both cash game and tourny play is possible, but don't allow one to hurt the other if you're getting positive results.