I'm not sure how to start and end my tournament play

L

lavguy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, there are several ways to go into tourneys... I like to have a gameplan in mind from the beginning... For example.. I start off super aggressive but tight... Make sure I can double or triple up early so I can skate my way into a prize.. But I always find myself succumbing to the ALL IN even when I fully positioned for a prize almost no matter what.

My questions to you are;
What do you guys suggest is the best strategy for tournaments?
How to say no to an ALL IN you think you can beat?
Is there a way to play tourneys and never go all in until you are placed?
Is it best to start agressive or slow...

PLEASE HELP!!

THANKS,

ALEX

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are succumbing to the all-in then you are lacking a little discipline. Slow down and think about the play that is taking place. What do you think the other player has, can you beat him/her or are you just trying to get lucky and knock them out.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See below:

To me, there are several ways to go into tourneys... I like to have a gameplan in mind from the beginning... For example.. I start off super aggressive but tight... Make sure I can double or triple up early so I can skate my way into a prize.. But I always find myself succumbing to the ALL IN even when I fully positioned for a prize almost no matter what.

So you are a TAG player early on? That's pretty common as many people like to protect their hands and play only premiums. When you say you succumb, what do you mean exactly? Are you always shoving all in? Are you calling all ins? How about pot control? Have you studied or practiced pot control with large stacks?
My questions to you are;

That's a broad question and it depends on the stakes, amount of people, guarantee, etc. If you are typically playing micro stakes tournaments, I would suggest playing TAG like you have been, control pots and play for value. Focus on your play and the play of others. Take notes and really focus in. As the blinds start to rise start broadening your range and make some plays for pot. Tournaments, as we all know, are insanely tough to WIN. You either need a big break (luck) or you need to make some moves.

Why are you saying no? Is it your gut? Is it the situation? if you think you can beat it why would you fold?

I know some players try their best not to get all in. I have heard Phil Hellmuth say a few times he has done this. However, it is not always the right strategy. Are you not going to go all in if you have the nuts or a solid boat or flush? What if your gut is telling you along with notes that the player is bluffing? There is an old saying..."scared money don't make money".

In my personal opinion is best to play TAG early on in big tournaments with slow or regular structures. For turbos or higher I would suggest opening up a bit more early on.
PLEASE HELP!!

THANKS,

ALEX

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the speed of the tournament I would say start tight and loosen up near the bubble to try and steal some blinds. You will need these blinds to survive the later phases.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
The main difference between the start and end of Tournaments is How much it cost you to see the Flop.
Early on, the Blinds are very cheap, so you should play as many hands as possible (play some marginal hands as long as no body Tri bet or Shoves.
During the early stages of the Tournament you should try to build the largest Chips stock possible.
Later on as the Blind levels increases, you will be paying a lot more to play or bet; so you should play tighter and watch for the Ante´s rising up. :call2:

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the end of the tournament you don't have to be tight.you must have a game plan from the beginning to the end and follow it no matter what.also if you play tight others may notice it and steal your blinds.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's wrong to call other peoples all ins. If you have a hand that's good enough such as aces on down to jacks, I think you should go with it. It also helps if you have the player covered that is all in. Poker is not an exact science. I'm of the thought that it takes a lot of gut feeling to know when to hold em and when to fold em. Good Luck!!

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After playing in tournaments online, I think it's best to play loose at the beginning of a tournament and then slowly but surely tighten up as the blinds get higher.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the game plan..

My questions to you are;

PLEASE HELP!!

THANKS,

ALEX

Other answers here are good: beginning play loose, but not out of control tighten as blinds increase, etc. A game-plan should include: not playing: junk A K Q J non-suited connectors.

Part of not going all-in is admitting my cards aren't always the best, I might lose the hand. The next huge hand, make a 2 or 3x BB bet, something you can come back from. Just had AQ on first hand, and made 3x BB. Opponent made bet, had the kicker, his AK beat my AQ, but I was able to keep playing because I didn't over-commit by shoving all-in.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure your not putting yourself in high variance situations that put you entire stack at risk. Don't overplay your hands and bet according to your chip stack.

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're playing a turbo format that shove/fold play is pretty standard in the mid/late stages. If not, then you might be shoving with too many chips. You shouldn't go all-in pre-flop with more than 15 big blinds unless you have a strong premium.

You may also need to take more risks in the mid/late stages of the tourney(around the bubble/itm). People generally play pretty tight in this stage so if you're at one of those nitty tables where everyone's trying to make the money then you can take advantage of it and steal some blinds here and there.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that for me depends on many things, I'm playing depending on situations and players, I guess I still do not have a defined strategy, at first if I play very calmly and depending on what I see more aggressive game, or less aggressive

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to start slow, get in cheap multiway pots only with suited connectors or small/medium pocket pairs. If a premium comes up I play it somewhat aggressively, not risking too much chips unless the outcome looks favorable. In the early stages, I will only call an All-in with KK or AA. As the Blinds go up, I try and play even tighter. Only playing Premiums and High Pocket Pairs from EP/MP. If action is folded to me in EP, I will raise with a somewhat wider range to steal blinds. When I get under 10bb, its Shove/Fold time. I play mostly freerolls or micro-tourneys.