ICM on the fly

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in 9th place out of 12 remaining in a tournament that paid 9. I got pocket nine's in middle position but wasn't sure whether it was time to shove/fold (despite having a chart in front of me i was unsure of icm consideration) or wait it out for a min cash. How do you calculate that kind of thing on the fly? Seems like there would be far too much math to do in the 30 seconds or so one has to decide on a hand, so I'm looking for general principles that would help me in that kind of play.

In that case, I pushed, was called by K5 (??) , who hit a K on the flop, but i hit trips on the river.

Last edited:
MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What’s your Bb effective Bb at the table, we can’t fold our way to cash as we are 9th of 9 cashing and 3 to eliminate. If your sitting with around 10bb- and it folds to you is an auto open shove

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What’s your Bb effective Bb at the table, we can’t fold our way to cash as we are 9th of 9 cashing and 3 to eliminate. If your sitting with around 10bb- and it folds to you is an auto open shove

my BB was right around what shoving 9/9 would be without icm consideration, but i don't recall it exactly. i think i was 1/3 of the average stack or something around there.

is the primary consideration whether i can fold into it or not? and if i'm big stack i would press if i could afford to lose an all in against that person, correct?

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
https://floattheturn.com/wp/pushfold/

Take a look at this , it will help you but ok everything in poker depends.. Just to know the ranges.
Top of the page has to set the antes. Hope not to have any copyright issues by sharing that link :D

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the 3 players behind you have a huge gap between stack size with you then its a fold, if you are all around the same kind of stack size then I'd shove all day.

for example if you have 10bb at 9th place and the 3 players behind all have -5bb then fold.
But if you are all sitting with around -10bb then shove.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to look for the stack of players on Bottom, SB and BB. If they have a stack approximately of yours, you can shove with 10bb or less.

Careful with what are your target, if you had seen they call some allin with A higher, middle pair or faced cards, he can call your allin, but 99 are a good hand in this stage.

With 15BB I will prefer raise, and I will fold or call depends of the villains image.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99 is really dangerous but I like it.I push all of my chips easily with 99.If I lose,I lose with pleasure.Put your head up and register at another tourney.