TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4.50 180 on demand pokerstars.

4 handed on the final.

I don't see the relevance of the stats but just in case...
Villain: 20/15/4.3 over 235

Stacks: 1) 97bb. 2) 27bb. 3) 27bb. 4) 19bb.

Action folds round to us in SB and we have 27bb. Villain has 19bb.

We have Ad9d and just open ship.
Villain calls with KQ off and gets there.

If I opened, I'd be falling off any ship pre flop. And folding a to lot of jams on the flop/ turn if don't improve.

Losing the hand is beside the point but it did prompt me to ask. Is open shipping there profitable long term or is it an icm blunder?

The table was pretty passive pre and all in crazy post flop.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You went all in pre flop with A9 and 27 BBs on your stack? That is definitely not a good decision. If you're only willing to play for your whole stack, 27 BBs is enough to wait for a better hand. I could maybe understand if you opened for the standard size and the other player 3-bet you.

In this stage of the game, thinking about ICM only makes you feel that you're better off trying to win the tournament, because that's whre you have the biggest pay jump, so playing for your whole stack is fine. I just think you chose a particularly bad hand to do it with. Also, the other player's hand wasn't that good either, I'm not sure why he called.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You went all in pre flop with A9 and 27 BBs on your stack? That is definitely not a good decision. If you're only willing to play for your whole stack, 27 BBs is enough to wait for a better hand. I could maybe understand if you opened for the standard size and the other player 3-bet you.

In this stage of the game, thinking about ICM only makes you feel that you're better off trying to win the tournament, because that's whre you have the biggest pay jump, so playing for your whole stack is fine. I just think you chose a particularly bad hand to do it with. Also, the other player's hand wasn't that good either, I'm not sure why he called.
What would the standard open be? And I think his only 3bets are all in. Say i open for the standard open, what do i do when he goes all in? Do I fold or call it off? Why? And what are some good hands I could wait for in that 4 handed scenario?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Axs is a nice battle hand all in but 27BB is to much. You still have plenty of poker to play that being said the move was not that bad. At least you had high card advantage.

TheGiantAsian

TheGiantAsian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponents were passive preflop, a standard raise should have accomplished stealing the big blind and antes. I don't see anything wrong with raising 3X and folding to a shove. Even if villain flat calls your raise, then jams on your flop c-bet (forcing you to fold), you should still have around 20bb and the button on the next hand.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponents were passive preflop, a standard raise should have accomplished stealing the big blind and antes. I don't see anything wrong with raising 3X and folding to a shove. Even if villain flat calls your raise, then jams on your flop c-bet (forcing you to fold), you should still have around 20bb and the button on the next hand.
Thank you

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The point where shoving becomes standard is at about 10bb or less. Axo is a vulnerable hand that otherwise you would play conservative.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure. Thank you so much guys. If you could elaborate so that I develop a solid why behind my decisions going forward