ICM with AK suited, 4 off the bubble with 8 BBs

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a decently large "seniors" tournament with a $200 + $50 buy-in. We started at 10 am and it is after the dinner break and getting close to the bubble. I sit with a bit over 8 BBs with the BBs in middle position. There are two players milking the bubble for all they can. One of the table captains is under the gun and limps. 3 folds to me with the other active player on my left. I have AK suited.

My first thought is, its shove time. but then I start thinking about ICM. If I bust out I will have played for 8 hours and won nothing, where I can easily fold into the money. Obviously it is relatively small money to bust just after the button, but first is several thousand.

I sucked it up and shoved and was insta-called by the UTG who tables 99. The hold and I'm out either 3 or 4 off the bubble.(another player bust just before or after me) as the tournament goes hand for hand.

Is this a shove?

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your goal. Shove if you are trying to win. However, that close to the money I would have folded, gotten into the money and then started to shove and try to double up a couple of times. Were there a lot of short stacks being blinded out?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a decently large "seniors" tournament with a $200 + $50 buy-in. We started at 10 am and it is after the dinner break and getting close to the bubble. I sit with a bit over 8 BBs with the BBs in middle position. There are two players milking the bubble for all they can. One of the table captains is under the gun and limps. 3 folds to me with the other active player on my left. I have AK suited.

My first thought is, its shove time. but then I start thinking about ICM. If I bust out I will have played for 8 hours and won nothing, where I can easily fold into the money. Obviously it is relatively small money to bust just after the button, but first is several thousand.

I sucked it up and shoved and was insta-called by the UTG who tables 99. The hold and I'm out either 3 or 4 off the bubble.(another player bust just before or after me) as the tournament goes hand for hand.

Is this a shove?

It's soooo important to cash that if you could limp into the money then I would do that.

But, I think most posters to this thread would agree that you need to double up that short stack to really have a good chance of making the final table, which is where allll the big money is!

I'm ok with either move. I am impressed that you asked yourself that question and went for it...

Good luck !

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack size is a king in any tourney as it gives you cushion against any bad beats.
But again playing for 6-8 hours you should have entered into the prize zone.
Folding is always advisable in case of A K as it is just a drawing hand and against any made hand it can give you ugly surprises.

Shoving is always bad against equal opponant (in terms of stack size).

M

Milan Godhania

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Expect the unexpected once you reach hand-to-hand. Players with tournament experience knows what cards you hold & the risk they are taking. It's better to go for the money first.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's soooo important to cash that if you could limp into the money then I would do that.

But, I think most posters to this thread would agree that you need to double up that short stack to really have a good chance of making the final table, which is where allll the big money is!

I'm ok with either move. I am impressed that you asked yourself that question and went for it...

Good luck !

In truth, my brother the accountant, gave me a hard time when I told him about it. His point was, if I was at the world series of poker he knows I would have limped in, which is true. While we both are "aware" of ICM, neither of use knows how to calculate it. I was hoping some one here would.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can't win a single flip for a week or so, just fold. If you are playing poker, just shove.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While we both are "aware" of ICM, neither of use knows how to calculate it. I was hoping some one here would.

to calculate it you would Need the exact stack sizes and payouts.

but with AKs, 8BBs and the table bully limping UTG there is not much to think About.
If you want to fold in the Money, limp/fold in this spot.
But if you want to make Money, shove. I'm sure he has a lot of weaker hands in his range where he would have called aswell

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can't win a single flip for a week or so, just fold. If you are playing poker, just shove.

LOL, If I only knew I would actually win the flip, or thought previous trials effected this one...

The answer appears to what ever you are feeling that day.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're not willing to go with AK in that situation, what you're saying is that you're not willing to play any hand, short of AA or KK or QQ, until you make it past the bubble, which isn't a guarantee. I think you have to go with it.