Did I make the wrong call?

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper turbo tournament, on the bubble with 28th person, 27 is money. BB is 10k and I'm at 40. I shove A10 suited as UTG and folds all around. Small blind with 72k calls with pocket 6s. I don't hit.
Of course I hated myself for not waiting it out, but didn't want to get blinded out, and I also wasn't playing for just minimum payout.

Thoughts?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hyper turbo tournament, on the bubble with 28th person, 27 is money. BB is 10k and I'm at 40. I shove A10 suited as UTG and folds all around. Small blind with 72k calls with pocket 6s. I don't hit.
Of course I hated myself for not waiting it out, but didn't want to get blinded out, and I also wasn't playing for just minimum payout.

Thoughts?

Ooooooookkkkkkk the title says did I make the wrong call... You didn't make a call at all you jammed. you have 4 bigs and on the bubble.. If you are only caring about min. cashing. you should fold. If you are trying to win the tournament it's an OBVIOUS shove. Matter of fact you probably should have jammed a long time ago unless you just got coolered or something and left with 4 bigs. Once you get too 10 bigs the range is WIDE for a shove. UTG with 4 bigs you're shoving 37.30 % of your hands. 22+ All suited Aces All suited kings, queens, jacks, and tens, along with 56s 67s 86s 97s 97s and 910o Like I said before even at 10 bigs you're shoving 33+ A7s A5s-A4s, ATo Q9s+ J9s+ and T9s so you may have waited too long and lost most of your fold equity

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ooooooookkkkkkk the title says did I make the wrong call... You didn't make a call at all you jammed. you have 4 bigs and on the bubble.. If you are only caring about min. cashing. you should fold. If you are trying to win the tournament it's an OBVIOUS shove. Matter of fact you probably should have jammed a long time ago unless you just got coolered or something and left with 4 bigs. Once you get too 10 bigs the range is WIDE for a shove. UTG with 4 bigs you're shoving 37.30 % of your hands. 22+ All suited Aces All suited kings, queens, jacks, and tens, along with 56s 67s 86s 97s 97s and 910o Like I said before even at 10 bigs you're shoving 33+ A7s A5s-A4s, ATo Q9s+ J9s+ and T9s so you may have waited too long and lost most of your fold equity
I was looking for every opportunity, but like you said, had trash hands while someone probably shoved nearly every hand prior for quite some time, this was the first opening I had seen in some time. But thanks for the advice regarding BB shoves before dwindling. I probably should've been more aggressive early on, just was drawing cold and people were calling everything

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was looking for every opportunity, but like you said, had trash hands while someone probably shoved nearly every hand prior for quite some time, this was the first opening I had seen in some time. But thanks for the advice regarding BB shoves before dwindling. I probably should've been more aggressive early on, just was drawing cold and people were calling everything

Trust me I get it!! We don't ever want to be the one getting it in after someone shoves, but remember to watch stacks sizes and consider ranges. I give people too much credit a lot of the time and can classify that as a leak even, but think about what they are shoving and if you're ahead of their range don't be afraid to get it in. People shove light often towards the bubble cause they know people are trying to min. cash it's a great time to call someone off when you feel your slight favorite

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thoughts?

you dont call you shove..yes its writgh shove because its hyper turbo

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. depends extremely on what is "min cash"#1. 4bbs in nor here-nor there. if the closes stack to you in also 4 bb and the next 5bb you CAN justify holding and waing, but of youy have 4bb and the next stack is 10-20-30... you do understand that fom odds perspective you are not going to bubble some1 out, right? =)
2. depends extremely on what is "min cash"#2. many do not like this argument but what is min cash to you in $$$. lets say you won a satty and now playing you ABI*5min cash would be ~ a deep run in you avrg scheduled MTT. so... hold = good. On the other hand you play 1.1$ hyper and min cash is 1.85$ I am sorry bro but I would not care about that. I repeat myself, many dont like that argument as you should play poker and not care about $/Hr.
3. from push/fold bot perspective I would push 100%. I am pretty sure at you should have pushed something ~10BBs ago LUL. You can safely push K5o from BU for 10bb and be certain that its a good push unless you have some reads on you op you will be called by words aces 100%(fine 99.9) of the time and hands like K5o can not call you
GLGL

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say overall no. Great spot, loss the coin flip. Just sucks cause this time it was one the bubble :p Although yes, you did lose a bit too much equity. sometimes you just gotta get it in knowing youre not in the best spot. When the blinds start to really lay into your stack, you may just have to find a decent chance and say **** it.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think, AT not too strong hand to go all in, especially on bubble with 40bb

B

batttkins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I got called a donk for shoving utg with QJo with 5-6 lastnight lol. Had been shoving abit.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The advice's are right you just waited to long that's why you were blinded out. Our errors are the one that make us better player. GG at the tables!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found before I joined here that this was probably my biggest mistake: waiting too long to shove. I got blinded down to nothing just hoping to cash. Now I’m picking my spots better when I get down to 10 Bb or so.

That said with hyper turbo tournaments there could easily be several players with around the same stack as you since the blinds climb crazily. If the min cash was worth it to you, fold would be the better option but strictly from a poker standpoint you made the right move.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know about A 10. I haven't had much success with this hand along the way. One more till you get paid, I might have waited for a better spot. Then you could continue your assault after knowing you're at least in the money.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a bad choice

You did not make a poor choice because you gave yourself the best opportunity you might have had with only 1 or 2 more rotations around the table for you to get literally blinded out... especially in a hyper turbo tourney.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think, AT not too strong hand to go all in, especially on bubble with 40bb
I think they meant 40k. That would be only 4 bbs utg. So I think they made the right move unless they really wanted the min cash only.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they meant 40k. That would be only 4 bbs utg. So I think they made the right move unless they really wanted the min cash only.
if it was 4bb, of course it is a right choice!)

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10s from UTG is shove for shure,buton what pozition you been,28 players left you must see how players is last on list before you and then decide,if you last you must shove because in next hand you are BB,but if not proibably fold......

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would have folded. Get in the money first, then shove with your A-10. Just the way I play.

Last edited:
dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im too tight I woulda folded BUT having said that, I totally learned alot from the thread! Thanks

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After reading all of this I've been shoving earlier from decent positions and just eating a lot of limpers and blinds. It really adds up in hyper turbo. In hindsight, 5 min break started (I'm in first with 38 people left), spend too much time on a beer run(oooohh the choices) come back and I'm 16 out of 21...the hell?