Did I make the right play?

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! Hopefully you guys can help me out here.

3.30$ Bounty Builder, 7 left out of 10k. 230$ guaranteed and 70$ already locked up in bounties.

UTG opens 2,2BBs ( Very loose, is Chip Leader ~60BBs ), LJ Shoves his 21BBs stack ( not really loose but seen him making some agressive plays, I put him on TT+, AKo, AKs ) I'm in the HJ with 17BBs and with AcKc.

Should I call the shove?

There are 2 short stacks on the table with about 14BBs and the rest of the players ( except the chip leader ) have about 25BBs.
Against the range I put Villain on, I have 46% equity, and pot odds equate to 44%.
I called, because not only do I technically have the pot odds to call, but also because if I win the pot, I would be 2nd in chips and would probably comfortably get to the top 3 and of course if Villain has AK, we chop.
I'm not quite sure if I should have called, because I could outlast at least 1 short stack, therefore winning 100$ more due to the pay jump. But I do like to think that playing for the Win is quite important, so taking that gamble and possibly going HU ( 1st 2000$ ; 2nd 1000$ +bounties ) is a more profitable play in the long run. But I'm not sure.

( Villain had TT and I lost the flip :p )

Sorry if I didn't structure my Post very well...

I'm happy to hear any Comments/Tips/Criticism :D

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call is right if going for the win, but ICMwise I'm not sure. There is lots of AQ/AJ in his range that you dominate, plus the QQ/JJ/TT that you flip against. I would probably make the same move. You just got unlucky

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The call is right if going for the win, but ICMwise I'm not sure. There is lots of AQ/AJ in his range that you dominate, plus the QQ/JJ/TT that you flip against. I would probably make the same move. You just got unlucky
He might have some AQs, but he wasn't that loose to shove AJ I think. I would certainly have folded AQs and maybe AKo too because at first look his shove seemed very strong to me.
Well, it makes me feel better that you say that I made the right play, but honestly I don't really mind too much busting the Tournament, that's Poker ;P

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm all in every time here unless he is a total nit. While looking to move up the pay latter here makes sense I would go for the win every time. You make the correct call in my opinion,

Andrey Krok

Andrey Krok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you right call with AKs but unluck.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would do same thing like you, AKs is to strong to fold, he could have anything. For me play for win in your situation is right way. ,, Who dares- wins”

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the prize structure / what were the bounties? It's probably hard to say if the call was correct value-wise without knowing the value of going from 7th-wherever, waiting out the short stacks, knocking out Lj

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

The call should of been based on weather or not you were do for a hand or not. If you just won the previous hand it would be a god idea to fold. Those things happen when you play after a decent win. If you hadn't won a hand in a while, it was a good call. The poker Gods just smiled on him this time.

Andrey Krok

Andrey Krok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also your opponent may want to steal the blinds and UTG minraise, anyway you decided right.

Andrey Krok

Andrey Krok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the prize structure / what were the bounties? It's probably hard to say if the call was correct value-wise without knowing the value of going from 7th-wherever, waiting out the short stacks, knocking out Lj

Tournament like this, but of course the prize fund depends on the number of participants. And late registration about 2 hours, without rebuys and addons.

https://i.ibb.co/cJTY74f/20181204-090542.jpeg

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament like this, but of course the prize fund depends on the number of participants. And late check in about 2 hours.

[url]https://i.ibb.co/cJTY74f/20181204-090542.jpeg [/URL]

sorry, not familiar with that particular one - it depends on the actual difference in cash value for the prizes (if there's a normal cash pool for a certain however many places and not just bounties), and the bounties involved themselves. an icm calculator should be able to tell you for sure.

if it's a mistake, it's probably a close mistake though.

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm all in every time here unless he is a total nit. While looking to move up the pay latter here makes sense I would go for the win every time. You make the correct call in my opinion,
No, he wasn't a nit. Ok that's awesome, thanks for the reply :D

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The prize structure was something like: 1st 2k; 2nd 1.2k; 3rd ~900; 4th ~600; 5th ~450; 6th 330; 7th 230. Only one of the short stacks had a big bounty (~60$) + One with a stack of about 24BBs (<100$) and the LJ had a bounty of about 30$ and the rest ( except for the chip leader, which had a bounty of 100$, had small bounties of about 10-15$. I wouldn't have knocked out the LJ in that All In though, as he had more chips than me.

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The call should of been based on weather or not you were do for a hand or not. If you just won the previous hand it would be a god idea to fold. Those things happen when you play after a decent win. If you hadn't won a hand in a while, it was a good call. The poker Gods just smiled on him this time.
I think I won an All-In a few hands ago with ATs against KJ or something similar ( had about 9 or 10BBs at that time ). But I don't know how that should play into my decision there, could you elaborate? Thanks :D

S

Super_Gleb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play like you, so i think you made a right choice.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The prize structure was something like: 1st 2k; 2nd 1.2k; 3rd ~900; 4th ~600; 5th ~450; 6th 330; 7th 230. Only one of the short stacks had a big bounty (~60$) + One with a stack of about 24BBs (<100$) and the LJ had a bounty of about 30$ and the rest ( except for the chip leader, which had a bounty of 100$, had small bounties of about 10-15$. I wouldn't have knocked out the LJ in that All In though, as he had more chips than me.

Definitely not saying I'm right (I'd definitely plug it in an ICM calculator with those values) but with that prize structure it kind of feels like a fold to me - letting one of the stacks bust out/cripple themselves and secure yourself going from $230-$330 feels like value.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this was correct play end you have to win some coin flip to win...aks is ok.. aq, ako is fold for me to

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this was correct play end you have to win some coin flip to win...aks is ok.. aq, ako is fold for me to
Yeah, I would probably have folded AKo and certainly AQ. So that's nice to hear :)

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have lost more chips calling with AK. I usually use this hand when I am being aggressive or acting first, but when someone else shoves, it is a good time to fold. Also, let the other two players knock each other out.

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have lost more chips calling with AK. I usually use this hand when I am being aggressive or acting first, but when someone else shoves, it is a good time to fold. Also, let the other two players knock each other out.
Ye, but UTG is 99% not calling LJ's shove, UTG was opening super wide.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It would be better to have more detailed info or the hand history , in order for some guys to run it in ICMizer or something like that. Apparently the spot seems very marginal and I don't know if it is +/- EV as a play but ICM wise I feel like you have an easy fold here.

Initial opener may be a loose player but still he open raises from EP, theoretically you have 2 potential pay jumps because of the 2 shorter stacks of your table.

LJ Shoves his 21BBs stack ( not really loose but seen him making some agressive plays, I put him on TT+, AKo, AKs )

If you have a solid read of the player then why did you still call? Are you going for the split in best case scenario? Because you are a massive underdog for his TT+ range here.

The worst part is that both players have you covered , the dynamics would be way more different if your stack was bigger.

I had all the time to think over and over again this situation , you didn't have all this time and you were under pressure.
No matter what congratulations for your score!

M

malaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can make more hero calls becouse its bounty tour.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing at the final table, I would have called with your hand. Even without knowing the structure of the awards, it is enough for me that this is a mtt tournament and a final table.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably I’d play it like you.