Did I make the right fold?

Mike119141

Mike119141

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing on Bovada with antes 100/200.

2 villains and me in the pot. LAG villain in EP makes it $600 to go. I have pocket 7’s and make the call. Flop comes out rainbow 245. LAG makes a pot sized bet and I call, 3rd villain goes out. Turn brings the 6 which makes us open ended and the LAG pops it up to 18K which thinking about it now he either whiffed or had a set I’m thinking. I folded open ended and on Bovada it shows the next cars which was an 8 and would have completed my straight.

Good or bad play?

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a marginal situation. Fold was fine here when the pot was too big and you didn't have enough odd to call. Don't need to focus on one hand here, just throw away and wait for a stronger hand. But you can still exploit him if you have confidence he has nothing here like AK or AQ.

Last edited:
marcopero14

marcopero14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a marginal situation. Fold was fine here when the pot was too big and you didn't have enough odd to call. Don't need to focus on one hand here, just throw away and wait for a stronger hand. But you can still exploit him if you have confidence he has nothing here like AK or AQ.

Totally agree !:)

M

meherbaba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
good play

2 villains and me in the pot. LAG villain in EP makes it $600 to go. I have pocket 7’s and make the call. Flop comes out rainbow 245. LAG makes a pot sized bet and I call, 3rd villain goes out. Turn brings the 6 which makes us open ended and the LAG pops it up to 18K which thinking about it now he either whiffed or had a set I’m thinking. I folded open ended and on Bovada it shows the next cars which was an 8 and would have completed my straight.

Good or bad play?

good play:)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot depends on the stack size as depending on your stack this might not be a good call pre flop or it may be a jam over. Since that is not mentioned I will assume you have something of a decent strong stack of 50 or so big blinds. If that is the case then calling pre flop is perfectly fine to catch a set. In this case we get an anomaly and all cards that flop are below a 7. When villain bets pot (not sure if he always bets pot or varies which makes a big difference here) you need to not only start thinking about what he could have but also start thinking about how willing you are going to be to call future streets. Most turn cards are going to be overcards to our 77 and we will not be very happy. The only turn cards we would really like are a 7 or a 6. Therefore I would be inclined right here at this spot in the hand to make up my mind that I am either going with this hand or Im not. With that being said I dont think you ever call in this spot having position. I would say you should either fold or raise to take control of the hand (raising will also allow you to pot control easier since you have the betting lead). Cant say what I would do exactly but it would be one or the other.

As played with the call on the flop, the turn card is quite good for us. It is one of the few that we don't hate and actually adds to our equity in the hand. I would say that if I am calling the flop here I would be calling the turn even if it was a jam. Can't really range the opponent at this point but I couldn't on the flop either and we called. I think the odds of him having a set are weak, I would be more concerned about an overpair myself but the bet does not make a lot of sense to me. If villain has a set why would they bet so large to make us a fold? If they had QQ+, you can say the same as they would make more by having us in the hand rather than getting us to fold out. I really believe based on action the villain has AK or AQ with JJ or 1010 being a possibility. I still think I lean towards calling (again depends on stacks and villain bet sizing tendencies) but if I called the flop I am calling the turn as nothing has changed really except we pickup a draw.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
If you ask about it then surely it cant be right decision :hmmmm2:

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stacked correctly. You should not know in advance that 8 will fall.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without knowing extra details like stack sizes and villain hand history, I'm inclined to say that you should have raised on the flop. By flat calling the entire way, you're effectively playing in the dark. A raise would define villain's hand a bit more.

Did villain overbet the turn? My calculations have the pot at around 4500 right now and you said villain led out for 18k. If that's the case, then yes, this is an easy fold.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not the fact that everything could be closed. There is no need to play for the whole bank now. You played normally and saved your game.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good or bad play?

Against an overpair or a set you had 10 outs, so folding is a little bit nitty. But it depends on his bet size, and how much was left behind. You dont have great implied odds here, since a 3 puts a straight on the board, and a 7 or 8 create a 1-liner. Its so much easier to give a good answer, if you share the entire hand history.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold OTF. He have a lot of equity with his Ax bluffs. Fold with 77 and 88, call with 99 and 66. It is not a big mistake, not at all. But think about the next streets.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good or bad play?

Hello,

Good fold on the turn bet. 18k is enough to make me fold 7,7 in this spot. Well played

Folding in Poker