Did I made the right play? (Folded a set) (Early MTT)

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.1 NLHE MTT 6Max 2.5k

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/4879462_FEF9A17170

Seat 1: Juca Bala49 (2940 in chips)
Seat 2: davidbacu (4622 in chips)
Seat 3: 180665 (4770 in chips)
Seat 4: malkol500 (3240 in chips)
Seat 5: spindelcity (3894 in chips)
Seat 6: Airburn76 (8035 in chips)
Juca Bala49: posts small blind 30
davidbacu: posts big blind 60
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Airburn76 [7d 7c]
180665: calls 60
malkol500: folds
spindelcity: raises 115 to 175
Airburn76: calls 175
Juca Bala49: calls 145
davidbacu: folds
180665: calls 115
*** FLOP *** [5h Jh 7h]
Juca Bala49: bets 2765 and is all-in
180665: raises 1830 to 4595 and is all-in
spindelcity: folds
Airburn76: folds
Uncalled bet (1830) returned to 180665
*** TURN *** [5h Jh 7h] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [5h Jh 7h 3d] [3s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Juca Bala49: shows [Ad Jc] (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
180665: shows [Js Th] (two pair, Jacks and Threes - lower kicker)
Juca Bala49 collected 6290 from pot
spindelcity said, "wow"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6290 | Rake 0
Board [5h Jh 7h 3d 3s]
Seat 1: Juca Bala49 (small blind) showed [Ad Jc] and won (6290) with two pair, Jacks and Threes
Seat 2: davidbacu (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: 180665 showed [Js Th] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Threes
Seat 4: malkol500 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: spindelcity folded on the Flop
Seat 6: Airburn76 (button) folded on the Flop

The reason I folded was the 3hearts and the 2 all ins even though I knew I had the best hand - was sure the 4th heart will be my end
One player was loose aggresive and another passive.
I would have won the pot and triple up but was it the right decision to fold?

Last edited:
mlvn

mlvn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what a snap call, when u folded that situations never can be reached enough of chips for late phase

tony4680

tony4680

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot for your tourney life but if you called and lost you would still have over 3k to work with. I think you could go either way with this. The first shove just screams please fold to me. I'd be more worried about the 180665 guy. I don't think its a bad fold but this early on in a MTT I'd be more inclined to gamble in a spot like this if I thought I was ahead. People love to get silly aggressive on boards like this. Personally I probably would have called unless I had a really strong read that someone actually flopped the flush at this stage in the tourney. Probably less inclined at later stages when the types of players that make these moves have already been eliminated.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dang, that's some nice discipline I bet you were mad at showdown :p

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
offcourse I understand the logic in what you guys are saying I have sat their for a minute and a half trying to decide what to do.
to much hearts on the board and two all ins, I was sure if I would call I would get beat by a flush and then left with 3k of chips, Even though Im still having second thoughts about it and probably should have snap called (Was my first instict and the most logicial play)
This is a confusing hand I couldnt have known a flush wasnt coming or some1 already had 1

tony4680

tony4680

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
offcourse I understand the logic in what you guys are saying I have sat their for a minute and a half trying to decide what to do.
to much hearts on the board and two all ins, I was sure if I would call I would get beat by a flush and then left with 3k of chips, Even though Im still having second thoughts about it and probably should have snap called (Was my first instict and the most logicial play)
This is a confusing hand I couldnt have known a flush wasnt coming or some1 already had 1

I totally get why you folded and I don't think anyone here is saying it was a bad move(i wish I could get away from sets more often on bad boards). I think it comes down to your playing style and what your table was like. If everyone was just spewing chips and you felt in control then I'd probably wait for a better spot too. My playing style though I'm trying to take all my major gambling spots early and build up a stack that will allow me to avoid these situations in later stages nearing the money. I was just saying the way the action played out I would be reasonably certain that Juca Bala49 didn't have a made flush and was just trying to fold everyone out. That numbers guy would be the only one I would be worried about. He could have easily had small suited connectors and flopped the flush. Bottom line is you lost out on 175 chips and opted for a safer route. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just thought from your OP that you were reasonably sure they there were both drawing at the flush and didn't call because you were worried they'd hit.

letderbefish

letderbefish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing vs donks is too hard, i would fold that too, but i think you should have reraised preflop seeing you are the chip leader at the table and on the button.

R

RNG

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Why call preflop if you're going to fold a set on the flop. There are situations where you can fold a set but not here. Other players can have AJ, KJ, QJ, J10, a bunch of str8 draws and flush draws. Horrible fold. If you get coolered, you get coolered. Dont lose in spots where you're suppose to win.

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its unlikely that the players have made flush seeing the action but atleast one of them has a heart. So you are like 70 %favourite against two players. I think this is a huge edge and you should not let this opportunity go by for fear of others improving their hands.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot fear someone having made a flush here because its very unlikely and even if someone has you will have 7 outs on the turn to make a full house/quads and if you dont then you will have 10 outs to make full house/quads on the river.

Secondly you have to understand you are playing micro stakes poker and the sort of absolutely terrible play that the player holding JT made is not uncommon. The only hand I would fear in this scenario is JJ but again your hand is just too strong to fold especially given the fact that you arent going broke with it.

I was in a similar situation as you.

I limp with 77 UTG, nobody raises and we have 4 players in the hand. The flop comes 7-4-3 with no flush possibility. The hand is checked over to the button who makes a 3 bet, the BB check raises to an 8 bet. I decide to continue to slow play the hand and call, the middle position also just calls. Now back to the button well it shoves all in which is around 40BB, the BB immediately calls and now I am like boy someone has a 56 surely? I even have a player behind me who just called an 8-bet? But I make a decision that since I cannot be in terrible shape whatever someone has and if I am going to exit the tourney with top set then so be it so I call.

The last player remaining folds and this is what the hands were,
The button had 33, he played exactly how he could have played that just a bad beat for him
But the BB who called the all-in right before me had what? A J7 lmao. I triple up there and my tournament just got so much more interesting.

I know your situation was more dangerous but as I said the only hand that absolutely destroys you is JJ but I still wouldnt worry about it. MTTs are like that you HAVE to take your opportunities to double/triple up or you are not going to make it far enough by being so tight. A stronger case could be made for folding 55 there but not 77.

Last edited:
dkoncc

dkoncc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PERSONALLY I WOULD CALL... U HAVE A HUGE HAND.. WITH RE-DRAWS... PLUS IF U WIN U WILL BE SUPERSTACKED... IF U LOSE.. THEN O WELL U MOVE ON TO THE NEXT TOURNY...

BUT AT THE SAME TIME THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH FOLDING AS WELL... AND WAIT FOR A BETTER SPOT...

B

Bkooda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Referring to this guy who limped 77 utg, ok. Alot of playeds fold any pockets below 99 from utg clearly because alof of the time your out gunned in later pos and hard to call a raise so out of position (depending on the raise).. Regarding your issue with folding the set with that board when 2 previous have shoved, yes definate fold. The second player snap calling would more likely have the nuts flush draw. Though unfortunatley, at low stakes there are say too many idiots that play poker yet dont have the slightest idea what they're doing. Tunnel vision for their own hand is the major problem like the guy jist seeing his j on the flop completley disregarding the flush draw. So early in the comp no bet jusg shove the whole situation.screams donkey . It pays you off alot with these idiots. At a good standard of tournament alot of the time if two previous players had shoved on thd flop then defo fold. Shows you have some readimg skills of the felt and odds. But at a good standard of poker no one who had flopped the flush instantly would shove. Theyd obviously milk it and extract whatever chips they could from you and check raise check call whatever depending on your reaction.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding here is ATROCIOUS.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love to know what would be my answer if you just posted this hand to plop, not rest... when i analyse my mindset i think that my answer would be literally grit my teeth and call... i guess that this makes me a donk :D

Anyway as someone already said, great discipline... I would have pissed at the end of the hand, but remember it could go either way, dont be mad keep going you are on the right track with playing like that imo...

B

Bkooda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
... continuing from previous post... if the second player hadnt called then yes snapcall his ass. You have enough stack to not be to bothered about the loss. Plus the read on him being aggressive and loose as hell. Its not all about ooo I could double triple up here. Yes thats great in hindsight...but theres much better spots to do that in than 3 handed on tht draw. Soearly in the blinds its pretty standard to start off tight and pick your spots. Let the donkeys pay you off early. Unfortuantley a complete retard put you off with his snap call.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
excelent fold, you were bigstack, no reason to risk many of your chips for a hand that you can surely lose. I would have folded also. If that hand defined the tournament I would have called, but you are in no hurry for chips. The fold is excelent

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
excelent fold, you were bigstack, no reason to risk many of your chips for a hand that you can surely lose. I would have folded also. If that hand defined the tournament I would have called, but you are in no hurry for chips. The fold is excelent

I can't even believe any of you think this is a good fold.

Withnor without results, I am never ever ever folding in this spot.

B

Bkooda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
These folds are made all the time in good standard games. Yes easy call at low stakes against idiots I agree there. But third hand in a shove from. two on the flop? No. Then again as I said any decent player would not shove on the flop if they had I stantly flopped their flush.

dkoncc

dkoncc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are afraid of losing... poker isnt the game for you.

N

nottoc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely be inclined to call here especially since you are still pretty deep stacked if you lose.

However, I don't think the fold is terrible given it is early in the tournament and you haven't invested much in the hand. Once the hand is over, I would be licking my chops that these two players so grossly over-valued their hands on that board, and look for any opportunity to isolate them and extract value.

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I would have called. I would have been scared and maybe thinked that it was a bad call, but I would have serious problems to fold anyway.. :) You had the a big stack, so even if you would lost that hand, you would have a good stack left.

How went rest of the tournament? :)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
OP. next time you post a hand edit out the results and you will get better responses, it is too easy to say snap call or I would have called, knowing the results.

Personally as there were 2 shoves I would have folded on the HHH board, way too many ppl play hands because they were soooooooooted, but I'm a nit.

M

Marsd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have been allin with that set-
First, its small stakes- so this makes it more likely that people will shove with loose holdings
2nd, this is early in a tourney-- I would rather gamble early than late, so get your chips in if you think you are ahead- you even said you thought you were ahead which you were right about.- put your chips to work.
3rd- you had a nice stack. if you were wrong and someone had a flush you still had outs to hit the house/quads twice- Plus if you lose you still have a very workable stack--

Folding in Poker