perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play a lot of freeroll tournaments. When a tournament starts out a lot of the same players are at your table. I play only good hands and it gets where everyone just folds when I raise. So I have what I call DONK DAY. I play almost every hand. I make bad calls, and suck out a lot and get called crazy donk and a few other cthoice things. But for the next few days I do really well at tournaments.

Does anyone else do things like this to diminish there table image?

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not like that, but I will show a bad play or bluff enough to make people think it's the norm.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally know what you mean by playing with a lot of the same players from tournament to tournament. I swear that every ACR CC Freeroll I have the same 5 or 6 people at my table every game with a couple new names scattered here and there. So I definitely agree that you have to change up your playing style every now and again to throw your opponent off so I try to do this BUT I wouldn't say I have a 'Donk Day'. I would say it's more playing a little loose every so many hands and letting others see my cards so it makes them second guess my raises. It seems to work for me because just when my opponent thinks they have me figured out I throw them off and catch them in a big hand;).

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't do this to avoid alternating bad calls with good ones. I play my game otherwise using mathematical odds on the flop.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of freeroll tournaments. When a tournament starts out a lot of the same players are at your table. I play only good hands and it gets where everyone just folds when I raise. So I have what I call DONK DAY. I play almost every hand. I make bad calls, and suck out a lot and get called crazy donk and a few other cthoice things. But for the next few days I do really well at tournaments.

You need to combine strategies you can't play only good hands and you can't often place big bets with bad hands

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these games as long as you got a solid strategy in place, there's no need to make adjustments based on your table image. It's very easy to just donk off EV under the slogan "it's good for my table image".

It's very easy to overestimate how much our opponents are actually adjusting to our play.

I reckon you're thinking the wrong way around. Start by having a solid basic strategy in place, and from there try to see how you're opponents are playing and if you need to make any adjustments to exploit their mistakes. This will be way more profitable than just donking off EV in an effort to change your image to a tiny part of the field :)

Good luck!

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sounds like a good idea, the problem is I don't think I can diminish my table image any further :)

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sounds like a good idea, the problem is I don't think I can diminish my table image any further :)

If everyone played the same who would win? It would be a game like flipping quarters.

KEEP UP THE GOOD PLAY>lol

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
donk

I dont mind having donk days at freerolls but sometimes in ring games i get impatient and make bad clls , that bothers me .Sometimes I only want to play for a few mins. and thats when I blow it.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hi there,

Do you say that you play loose and bad to make the other players to believe that you are a fish player and then you change to a TAG and confuse them?
Or you say that you play bad and it happened to do well? xD

Sorry if I didn't understand correctly, but if you say the first thing it is n interesting idea.
If I remember correctly Doyle Brunson wrote something like that in his book although he was talking about cash games. He was playing bad losing 1 to 3 buy-ins and then he was changing gears to his normal.
Can this apply to mtt as well? Isn't a little bit risky since we can't refill our stack like in cash games? I prefer to play solid all the time. You say that if everyone plays the same then it's like we flipping a coin, but the most people play bad and sometimes if you play against good solid players then it is somewhat like flipping a coin IF you play good. xD
But isn't this part of the game? We want to play solid and put the chips in when the chances are fair for us.

If you say the second, then I can't understand it at all xD

Again, if you say that you mixing your play by playing bad for some time, then although I find it interesting I'm not sure that it is a good strat to follow in a tour because of the limit that we can only have one stack. (one life xD)

Last edited:
J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do but it's not a controlled table image strategy. It's just an underlying tendency that has never been tended to. Every now and then it rises up from the depths revealing my inner donkey in all its glory.:D

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi there,

Do you say that you play loose and bad to make the other players to believe that you are a fish player and then you change to a TAG and confuse them?
Or you say that you play bad and it happened to do well? xD

Sorry if I didn't understand correctly, but if you say the first thing it is n interesting idea.
If I remember correctly Doyle Brunson wrote something like that in his book although he was talking about cash games. He was playing bad losing 1 to 3 buy-ins and then he was changing gears to his normal.
Can this apply to mtt as well? Isn't a little bit risky since we can't refill our stack like in cash games? I prefer to play solid all the time. You say that if everyone plays the same then it's like we flipping a coin, but the most people play bad and sometimes if you play against good solid players then it is somewhat like flipping a coin IF you play good. xD
But isn't this part of the game? We want to play solid and put the chips in when the chances are fair for us.

If you say the second, then I can't understand it at all xD

Again, if you say that you mixing your play by playing bad for some time, then although I find it interesting I'm not sure that it is a good strat to follow in a tour because of the limit that we can only have one stack. (one life xD)

Play any two cards to me is playing bad... So my donk day I play any two to change up my table image. It works for a while. Plus its fun to play like a beginner for a day. Of course this is in freerolls only!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The bad players don't even know when I'm playing bad.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My image is bad enough I don't need a donk day to influence anyone lol

I like the thought, its a good idea Perry!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

you have to do it once in a while isn't it my dear? to balance the value and bluff range. In freerolls it's quite a challenging task...:)