I folded KK pre flop with no action before!!!!!

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is completely right its the first time in my poker experience I have ever done that.

curious who else does this was satalite to the sunday million this sunday 251 players left 250 players go through, right on the bubble I had an average stack and there was a load of micro stacks who had just over an antee not even the BB

if I shove and get called and get unlucky i could be out and cursing there were multiple players with just over or just under 1 BB i would have folded AA here in this spot pre

curious who else would do this in that spot?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
this is completely right its the first time in my poker experience I have ever done that.

curious who else does this was satalite to the sunday million this sunday 251 players left 250 players go through, right on the bubble I had an average stack and there was a load of micro stacks who had just over an antee not even the BB

if I shove and get called and get unlucky i could be out and cursing there were multiple players with just over or just under 1 BB i would have folded AA here in this spot pre

I would hope everyone would in the spot you described.

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah logically speaking ur right, sometimes I pushed all in with AA close to ITM in a tournament, but that's different. On such moment though I push all in making the chance smaller for someone to call so I don't get a bad beat and bust out... So at least you take the blinds then, but ofc if u have for example 100 players get the same prize then ye u shouldn't play anymore whatever hand u got, sometimes I did that once u reach a certain place or stack just sit out and don't waste energy or chips anymore :icon_thum

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is correct play here, as you said you had an average stack you maybe even could sit out and never know you had the kings and make the money without this decision having to be made.
But kudos for the discipline, some players may not be able to make this choice..

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
even AA I'm going to super tank until I sit out fold

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I folded KK preflop as well, but thats because I timed out worried about Aces. Would have tripled up and been in great position. I dont give it much thought anymore.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah logically speaking ur right, sometimes I pushed all in with AA close to ITM in a tournament, but that's different. On such moment though I push all in making the chance smaller for someone to call so I don't get a bad beat and bust out... So at least you take the blinds then, but ofc if u have for example 100 players get the same prize then ye u shouldn't play anymore whatever hand u got, sometimes I did that once u reach a certain place or stack just sit out and don't waste energy or chips anymore :icon_thum

In a regular tournament, yes, absolutely, apply pressure because the big money is in the top three positions. You hope that someone woke up with Queens or AK, because those are probably the only two hands calling you that you beat. If someone (unluckily for you) wakes up with Aces, that's the way it goes.

But, based on OP's description of their situation, they were in NO danger at all to qualify for the Sunday Million, and as such, the ONLY CORRECT play would be to fold your entire range, including Aces. The value of the seat is the same whether you have 50 big blinds or 5 big blinds. I've yet to be convinced that there's any other play that is correct here. I might limp in however,, if there is s a stack that's all in and my hand is probably going to win the majority of the time, and if anyone else is in the hand, they should check it all the way down. That strategy would be alright too.

D

Dimitris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you're in the bubble of a satellite just fold your hole range. There's no extra value if you finish first or last. The ticket is the same.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very correct decision. The main thing in this situation is not to drop out of the table and get a prize.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Folding here is totally correct. Nice job understanding this advanced strategy!

Great title too, definitely had me saying 'wtf? I gotta read this thread!' lol

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had this situation yesterday in a freezout. I've raised, someone else made 3bet, and other one all-in. I've called. One of them had AA, other guy had Q6s and made a straight so won the hand. That was a big mistake near bubble.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GamingOn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've done this right before the bubble it was no bad decision in my opinion cause I made it ITM after doing so :) Good luck continue with good strategy.

K

kkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once i folded AA, when 4 players left and all of them go all in. This was satellite tickets for 2.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Folding here is totally correct. Nice job understanding this advanced strategy!

Great title too, definitely had me saying 'wtf? I gotta read this thread!' lol
There is no description of position or stack sizes on the table in this example.

Sure, if you're on the Button, it folded to you and the blinds both have huge stacks - fold. If you are in Middle Position and everyone behind you is a "micro stack who had just over an ante" - then no, do not fold. Situations between these extremes could also require an action that is not a fold.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

100% I would have folded. Who cares what the hand is. You fold, you're in. If it was a case where you take the chips you finish with to the next tourny, I would have tried to use the timer and play it if someone got knocked out in time..

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that is a good decision! In this case the important thing is get ITM 🙂 I prefer fold KK and enter in the prizes!

Sorry for my english 😬

B

Berzerker2x

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KK?

its only a pair. only gives your money back in video poker.

B

Berzerker2x

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KK...

I pushed with big stack into lil man with AA... smacked him with a straight 9-K.

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Circumstances

There is no description of position or stack sizes on the table in this example.

Sure, if you're on the Button, it folded to you and the blinds both have huge stacks - fold. If you are in Middle Position and everyone behind you is a "micro stack who had just over an ante" - then no, do not fold. Situations between these extremes could also require an action that is not a fold.

While I believe you are right that in different situations a different play could be made, I think the right play was made here as our Hero only needed to get ITM to accomplish the goal, and had no need to put themselves at any risk for a bigger stack to continue playing with.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No doubt in my mind I’d do the same.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course this is very correct!) I congratulate you! When I throw out a very strong hand it gives me a lot of adrenaline and improves my mood! :) I don't know why), of Course, when there is 1 player left, and then the prizes (of a serious tournament), and your Bank allows you to be there for sure, it doesn't matter AA, AK or KK there is no point in taking a risk) it's not easy, but it's very right! :) It's cool) I like it :)

Folding in Poker