Did i deserve to be criticized for the way i played this hand

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in the my pub poker league Tuesday tournament where we start out with 10000 chips and blinds are every 25min the blinds are 50-100 im in the sb and if folded all away around to the button. Who open raise too 300 total im next to act on the sb i look down at q-10 the histrory of the person playing in the sb is that he has a tenticy too bet with light holding on the button if action gets folded too him he had about 11000 to start the hand i had about 12000 to start the hand with. After careful thought i decided to re raise him 1000 even. the bb who had 9000 chips looks at his hand after some thought he decide to flat call the button fold. The flop goes 2-7-10 with two hearts i decide to bet out since there was 2300 in the pot. I was first too act and i decided since i hit the flop to bet out 1500. The bb snap calls are the turn the king hits i check and he checks the last card was a 2 i decided too check and he check i show him my q-10 his had only a-j of hearts and missed his flush draw. H e told i shoulnd not have re raised the button because he was the last too act. He also thought it was a very risky play i would like too know what do u think of my play in that hand.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only glanced quickly at your post but based on what I think happened I would've likely played it differently. Villain played his hand terribly ofc. Anyway all I wanted to say in here is that no one should be criticized at the table for how they decide to play a hand, regardless of how good or bad they played it.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you played it that bad, I might played it a little different.

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing in the my pub poker league Tuesday tournament where we start out with 10000 chips and blinds are every 25min the blinds are 50-100 im in the sb and if folded all away around to the button. Who open raise too 300 total im next to act on the sb i look down at q-10 the histrory of the person playing in the sb is that he has a tenticy too bet with light holding on the button if action gets folded too him he had about 11000 to start the hand i had about 12000 to start the hand with. After careful thought i decided to re raise him 1000 even. the bb who had 9000 chips looks at his hand after some thought he decide to flat call the button fold. The flop goes 2-7-10 with two hearts i decide to bet out since there was 2300 in the pot. I was first too act and i decided since i hit the flop to bet out 1500. The bb snap calls are the turn the king hits i check and he checks the last card was a 2 i decided too check and he check i show him my q-10 his had only a-j of hearts and missed his flush draw. H e told i shoulnd not have re raised the button because he was the last too act. He also thought it was a very risky play i would like too know what do u think of my play in that hand.

I don't know if this hand conversion might be of any use - taken the info above and applied it to a hand converter - not sure on the suits of the cards.

If it's helpful, feel free to copy edit and paste as your own...

Seat 1: Hero (SB) ($12000)
Seat 2: Villian (BB) ($9000)
Seat 3: Seat 3 ($10000)
Seat 4: Seat 4 ($10000)
Seat 5: Seat 5 ($10000)
Seat 6: Seat 6 ($10000)
Seat 7: Seat 7 ($10000)
Seat 8: Seat 8 ($10000)
Seat 9: Button ($11000)
Hero (SB) posts the small blind of $50
Villian (BB) posts the big blind of $100
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero (SB) [Q? T? ]
Seat 3 folds
Seat 4 folds
Seat 5 folds
Seat 6 folds
Seat 7 folds
Seat 8 folds
Button raises to $300
Hero (SB) raises to $1000
Villian (BB) calls $900
Button folds
*** FLOP *** [2? 7? 10?]
Pot $2300
Hero (SB) bets $1500
Villian (BB) snap calls $1500
*** TURN *** [2? 7? 10?] [K?]
Hero (SB) checks
Villian (BB) checks
*** RIVER *** [2? 7? 10? K?] [2?]
Hero (SB) checks
Villian (BB) checks
Hero (SB) shows [Q? T?]
Villian (BB) shows [Ah Jh]

tignutz

tignutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if anyone deserves critisism it should be him for not betting the river after you checked twice. just my opinion.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only problem I have with this hand is you not betting the river.

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am having trouble with 3 bets atm so don't take my advice word for word but... I would Ignore him, I think the play was good because if the BTN opens light then you can profitablly 3 bet most hands (even lighter than Q/10) and take it down and/or cbet the flop and take it down. I might also barrel turn sometimes depending on villain as a snap call is usually a weak holding.
Also villain played his hand pretty damn bad, he should be 4 betting or folding here I think and he should be barreling that turn card.

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my main thing is if your going to be donking around with weak holdings should be in way better position , it seems this was more of a steal than anything, when the steal didnt work and you hit flop with top pair your next bet shoulda been looking for info about your callers hand which is not what you were doing i dont think otherwise you may have been able to fire a second and third bullet, but he played his hand far worse than you .

K

kwhilborn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think many understood/read the OP and you have been given bad advice.

Whoever has Button has ultimate late position and as SB you had ultimate early position.

The reason why it would be bad to re-raise someone in a late position is twofold. They may have a monster hand and you are giving them an opportunity to go all in and their KK AA is not going to give your Q 10 a chance at 2 pair or flopping a set. Be honest; If the button had countered with an all-in would you risk your stack with a Q 10?

Another reason is simply because you are in early position and position counts almost as much as the cards do sometimes. If you had not hit a 10 pair up on the flop what would you have done? bluff or check? Either is risky. Imagine you play a check then you are giving the button a better chance to steal or bluff.

One last comment. Tempers can flare with neighbors in Poker. How often does a SB raise over the BB to steal it, or the BB raises a call from SB. It can get annoying and trust can wear out. Do not bet from a place of anger.

I would say Reraising from early position with Q 10 is a bad call. I would also say playing a Q 10 in an early position is also a bad call. If the table were short players or was a 4-6 man table then i might play that in a later position.

I am not high stakes, but Ive won first in hundreds of MTT SNG's

Practice position is my advice here. Try 4-6 player max tables where stealing blinds and position is a lot more a part of the game than on 9-10 person tables.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho you should be happy when raking chips and happier if the person giving them to you is dumbfounded. Except for you not seeing the villian on a possible flush draw you played the hand good. I might have just flat called the raise then raised the button no matter what came but just because I wouldve done that doesnt make it right. Play how ya play and stay level headed, remember we arent trying to convince the table how good we are we just want all the chips. Good luck.

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
whenever someone loses a hand,
they are apt to say something rash.

The best thing to do is say something like
"O gee sorry, you probably right"

and take rest of the donks chips later

T

tree88

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IM SORRY BUT I WOULD HAVE LAUGHED and told him he should think twice before giving his expert commentary on the poker law when he cant even play the best hand in possition and take down an easy pot

C

cander128

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Criticism when someone is is trying to help I will listen to other than that only reply if you want to get on his nerves to tilt him. The only other advice I listen to at the table is what my chip stack and cards tell me to do.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only glanced quickly at your post but based on what I think happened I would've likely played it differently. Villain played his hand terribly ofc. Anyway all I wanted to say in here is that no one should be criticized at the table for how they decide to play a hand, regardless of how good or bad they played it.
+1MILLION

If anyone gets criticized at the table it's the person doing the talking that is the ****ing idiot regardless of how the other person played the hand.

K

kwhilborn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Half the comments here seem to be that people who criticize are the villains...

This is supposed to be a Forum though where his hand is supposed to be criticized or cheered.

This guy re-raised the Button from the Earliest position possible (SB) with only a Q-10. bluffing is better left for late positions in my Opinion, and this also gave the button a chance to go all -in if their hand was a monster.

How come nobody is actually giving real advice ...

Stuff like... "Well you won the hand so you played perfect" is not helpful to people trying to learn. BTW . I give better advice here in my last post.

I would like to add that sometimes a BB needs to defend against theft, but defending from SB seems less valid to me. I also give trust more freely to players I do not know and look for repeated high bets/steal attempts before I question if they hold boss cards.

Last edited:
SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only problem I have with this hand is you not betting the river.

I don't see a problem check/calling for pot control, very unlikely villain's calling worse and it gives them a chance to bet a river that's not all that scary considering the action.

Half the comments here seem to be that people who criticize are the villains...

This is supposed to be a Forum though where his hand is supposed to be criticized or cheered.

This guy re-raised the Button from the Earliest position possible (SB) with only a Q-10. Bluffing is better left for late positions in my Opinion, and this also gave the button a chance to go all -in if their hand was a monster.

How come nobody is actually giving real advice ...

Stuff like... "Well you won the hand so you played perfect" is not helpful to people trying to learn. BTW . I give better advice here in my last post.

I would like to add that sometimes a BB needs to defend against theft, but defending from SB seems less valid to me. I also give trust more freely to players I do not know and look for repeated high bets/steal attempts before I question if they hold boss cards.

Well the way the HA reads from DrSparky is that OP 3bet the button from the SB with QT definitely not a bad play at all especially if you know buttons range is pretty wide there. He gets called from the BB and button folds, obviously we have to know BB has a hand here but then flops TPGK and leads out and gets called and it goes check check. I don't really see a problem in how OP played the hand at all and if anyone played badly this hand it was the BB for calling a 3bet with AJ which he should 4bet pre or fold imo.

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the way the hand was played, a river bet is fine. Villain is obv. folding a lot, but he can definitely call with worse.

As far as the criticizing point, anyone who "teaches" at the table is an idiot. They may think cause PH does it, it means its ok, but it is not.

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^Maybe so I guess I just don't see many worse hands calling after it was 3bet pre unless they're getting spewy with connectors. 88 99 maybe.

What I find funny is villain floated the flop, hits the perfect card to semi-bluff on the turn then checks lol. Agree on ppl teaching at the table mainly b/c they usually complain about 60/40's or coinflips kind of like in this hand lol.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if anyone deserves critisism it should be him for not betting the river after you checked twice. just my opinion.
Why should he do that. he totally missed the board but AJ actually has showdown value.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You asked if his criticism was correct. "You shouldn't have reraised in the SB with Q 10." It wasn't a good spot to bluff IMO. You said he liked to raise the blinds with marginal cards so I assume you felt like you were ahead. In tourney play with such a big stack and another person still to act (who may be in the hand or even shove), fold is probably the best play. Since you decided to play the hand, a reraise was better than a call since it froze him. May not work that way everytime though. On this hand his criticism was incorrect. In the long run it may be correct the majority of the time though.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands