Hyper sng edge

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering if my main focus should be hyper sngs or cash games..these have 1500chips and 2 minute blinds..is there enough edge for a studying player to stick to them you think?

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lower buyins I would say these would easily be profitable enough to grind out a moderate BR using good BRM (guessing it should be around 40-50bi or something). Once you get to the higher dollar ones though, I would guess they become more of a regfest where all the players are just passing money around and the site is the one making all the profit. Just a hunch though

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I may be wrong but isn't hyper sngs much more difficult especially in terms of bankroll management? I think there's better games to build your roll rather than specifically focusing on hyper sngs. Yes, they're definitely enjoyable because of the fast pace but in the end, you're gonna be flipping more often then not.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm wondering if my main focus should be hyper sngs or cash games..these have 1500chips and 2 minute blinds..is there enough edge for a studying player to stick to them you think?

As my experience goes, there definitely IS edge in these hypers.

I played them for a month or two across many sites (before they all got banned in my country) and there definitely IS edge if you have the proper BRM and you have good studying materials.

As far as the edge goes, your main source of edge will be that your opponents will not understand ICM and will do bubble mistakes. Most of them have no concept of this and are extremely tight. You will need to put a lot of hours into ICMizer simulations or HRC simulations. I recommend ICMizer as its easier to use.

But number one thing you have to consider is RAKE

I did a small research into this early 2019 and I found out that when we account for rakeback, the best place to play is partypoker by far. Then its Stars.es and stars.eu - there might be lower rake someplace esle than stars, but the traffic will be REALLY poor. Traffic on Party is not THAT great but you can get 2-3 tables of 11€ hypers running at a time. Other sites have just very poor traffic to even consider playing higher volume there. I have an excel chart somewhere with these rake structures so if you want that just send me a PM and I will email it to you.

EDIT:
Be prepared to face absolutely nasty variance. You can go on breakeven stretches in hundreds of these tournaments. You can go on massive downswings. I cant stress this often enough, you need AT LEAST 300 buy ins for this format. You can easily go 20-30 games without cashing just beacuse of variance and it can ruin your confidence. I dont recommend this format at all if you struggle with tilt issues. I stopped playing these partially because of this. The variance was just too high and the money I could lose in a session /even though I didnt need it for my life/ were huge when I though about it. I could easily loose 200 dollars in a few hours in a downswing and then win it all back double the other day, but the mental pressure was insane.
GL

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As my experience goes, there definitely IS edge in these hypers.

I played them for a month or two across many sites (before they all got banned in my country) and there definitely IS edge if you have the proper BRM and you have good studying materials.

As far as the edge goes, your main source of edge will be that your opponents will not understand ICM and will do bubble mistakes. Most of them have no concept of this and are extremely tight. You will need to put a lot of hours into ICMizer simulations or HRC simulations. I recommend ICMizer as its easier to use.

But number one thing you have to consider is RAKE

I did a small research into this early 2019 and I found out that when we account for rakeback, the best place to play is PartyPoker by far. Then its Stars.es and stars.eu - there might be lower rake someplace esle than stars, but the traffic will be REALLY poor. Traffic on Party is not THAT great but you can get 2-3 tables of 11€ hypers running at a time. Other sites have just very poor traffic to even consider playing higher volume there. I have an excel chart somewhere with these rake structures so if you want that just send me a PM and I will email it to you.

EDIT:
Be prepared to face absolutely nasty variance. You can go on breakeven stretches in hundreds of these tournaments. You can go on massive downswings. I cant stress this often enough, you need AT LEAST 300 buy ins for this format. You can easily go 20-30 games without cashing just beacuse of variance and it can ruin your confidence. I dont recommend this format at all if you struggle with tilt issues. I stopped playing these partially because of this. The variance was just too high and the money I could lose in a session /even though I didnt need it for my life/ were huge when I though about it. I could easily loose 200 dollars in a few hours in a downswing and then win it all back double the other day, but the mental pressure was insane.
GL
Yes, the pressure and variance doesn't make it such an attractive choice for me now I think
but the ones I played had 1500 starting chips which is much different than the 500 on other sites though those had 2 min blinds rather than the 3. this changes the format a big deal and gives a good edge against poor passive players or obvious tilted players. thanks for the informing reply I appreciate it. after experimenting with many game formats I think the cash games are the most enjoyable and dependable then maybe put some of the wins on mtt buy ins if you're a winning player to chase final table thrill )(