HU SNG strategy
I started a thread about goofy hands from HU SNGs in the brags forum, but you know, the intertubes will run out of room to post all of them.
I don't know why, but HU SNG's are by far the spewiest form of poker I've ever seen. Basic plays that 2NL fish are too dumb to make happen all the time. People shoving 90 bbs into a 4 BB pot drawing dead happens all the time.
I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but I've been playing a lot of low-BI games and I have some thoughts on them. Most of these will be basic, and involves basic poker concepts, but some cannot be stressed enough.
1. Play somewhat straightforward. Like, if you raise preflop with AK and then cbet an A-high board, many HU players I've run into will do unbelievably spewtastic things. They'll call you down with king high. They'll check-raise you with bottom. They'll 4-bet fold the flop.
2. Raise the button constantly. Some people could probably get away with raising like 100+% of buttons, I play more conservatively and raise like 80-90%.
3. Use a lot of minraises. Seriously, a lot of players will fold to a minraise constantly and hardly ever 3-bet. If they do, you can profitably minraise 100%.
Try to keep pots small without a made hand. Semibluffing and bluffing
with air obviously have their place, however, you won't believe how light many players at the $1-$5 levels will call down. You can bet 1/2-2/3 pot on flop, turn and river with TPTK and you'll get value from A-high constantly.
4. Everyone floats wide OOP. I'm not saying I don't do it or that you shouldn't do it, but I can't see how doing it constantly can be profitable. It'd be nice to have a semblance or equity when you do obviously. Against some people who float too much, you need to cut down on how often you cbet with air and widen your value range and never slowplay.
5. Betsizing is hugely important and is the biggest problem I see among players at this level.
You have the type who will minbet 3 streets with the nuts and others who will mash the bet-pot button or massively overbet shove. Or they have serious bet-sizing tells
: donk min-bet with air or a weak draw and then bet pot with a real hand.