How to Stop Making Stupid Moves Late in a Tourney

L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can seem to play beautifully up until the bubble, and then for whatever reason I will make a terrible terrible terrible play that I know is bad, and still do it. Following hand just bumped me from a tourney, (My thoughts are in Italics):

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 500/1,000 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN (BTN): 18.89 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 35)
SB (SB): 31.45 BB (VPIP: 20.78, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 79)
Hero (BB): 49.83 BB
UTG (UTG): 56.72 BB (VPIP: 30.77, PFR: 22.58, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 67)
UTG+1 (UTG+1): 68.23 BB (VPIP: 68.42, PFR: 42.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
MP (MP): 36.33 BB (VPIP: 17.31, PFR: 9.80, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 52)
MP+1 (MP+1): 20.68 BB (VPIP: 5.00, PFR: 5.56, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 20)
MP+2 (MP+2): 10.89 BB (VPIP: 10.71, PFR: 7.69, 3Bet Preflop: 18.18, Hands: 28)
CO (CO): 31.08 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Dealt to Hero:
:qc4: :10h4:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, UTG+1 raises to 10 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

- This guy has been a maniac all day, raising with things like J6o, K3o, etc. I am 3-betting Q10 because I dominate his raising range (min-raise at that) and can defend if he calls my 3-bet. I should have folded the 4-bet to begin with but IDK why I didn't, these are the dumb moves I am talking about. He hadn't 4-bet a single hand all day and was laying down his raises to any 3-bet.

Flop (21.62 BB, 2 players):
:qd4: :jc4: :6d4:

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 5.41 BB, Hero raises to 39.7 BB and is all-in, UTG+1 calls 34.29 BB

- I intended to check raise this flop with Top Pair, hoping to check raise a paired Jack or stone cold bluff. Happy with ending the pot right there with the draws available. Looking back on it, I should have open-bet the draw anyway, and would have saved myself money if he was to reraise. I should have no desire to build a huge pot here, but for whatever reason I tried to. Especially with the check-raise shove..... its like I was asking someone to stack me. IDK why I played the way I did, this all relates to my initial question.

Turn (101.03 BB, 2 players):
:3d4:
River (101.03 BB, 2 players):
:4c4:

Hero shows: :qc4: :10h4:
(One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 16%, Flop 20%, Turn 9%)

UTG+1 shows: :ad4: :ac4:
(One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 84%, Flop 80%, Turn 91%)

UTG+1 wins 101.03 BB

I played real solid poker the whole tournament. I was 5th stack (he was 3rd) with 6 players from the bubble. I hadn't won any monster pots either, I just feel like I had played really well. HOW DO I STOP MYSELF FROM PLAYING WITHOUT THINKING when running deep in a tourney? I seem to do it often, and then look back on these hands with my jaw wide open.

Any advice?

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One day I will be able to explain this situation. I am having the same problem in the Bubble. Would really like to tighten up at the bubble i would think, or i am wrong???

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last week, I was playing my A game making good calls, raises, folds, bluffs. Exploiting reads I had on opponents and winning big when I had it and losing little when I didnt.

I had built a nice stack and was waiting a couple of people to bust to reach itm. Now there was a big stack bully, that raised with all kind of stupid hands and shoving like every flop. Finally I got pocket Kings against him and decided to small ball them cause I didn't want to bust without at least min cashing. Flop was 3 clubs, and he shoved on the flop. I had no clubs in my hand and I could easily fold it at that stage but I called instead because I was frustrated. He made his flush, and I busted from a 8.19% underdog preflop hand with not even min cashing while I played my best game ever. :mad::mad:

The moral of the story is to never let your opponent get under your skin. Dont take it personally when playing against a frustrating donkey opponent. Dont make it an ego thing to win the pot if that means you are risking your tourney life on a gamble or worse.

Last edited:
Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not good

I believe the key to really good poker is to always avoid the obvious bad poker play. I always try to avoid a bad poker play.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can seem to play beautifully up until the bubble, and then for whatever reason I will make a terrible terrible terrible play that I know is bad, and still do it. Following hand just bumped me from a tourney, (My thoughts are in
Italics):
Hero (BB): 49.83 BB Dealt to Hero:
uSnUAbHhZf0MmabeXI0atm7bD4zHJ383RFynwxH_LWvUp0l4UJhsoYyj2u3IRU5pk2oCR-ypomZT_FGEsSbPFLiFcgTBLkUJ6E-hqEf37fXBRBczJU8HyAK63NpG7lAluZYZm5vD
gGMsVBZh-uFdS6G0oqZsv83BKj3VFHjtjY00qUmy8b8irqZ1ARU9dzt8mDe7_Dn6QP6vfOD9yTHUXY9CzeYTIkk3sjo0rrhLMheOC6nRM2n7vVCe_9JJiD6-leRdHtC9v1HSrFuC
fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, UTG+1 raises to 10 BB, Hero calls 4 BB - This guy has been a maniac all day, raising with things like J6o, K3o, etc. I am 3-betting Q10 because I dominate his raising range (min-raise at that) and can defend if he calls my 3-bet. I should have folded the 4-bet to begin with but IDK why I didn't, these are the dumb moves I am talking about. He hadn't 4-bet a single hand all day and was laying down his raises to any 3-bet. Flop (21.62 BB, 2 players):
cMa6uMCJRiEauHfZq4AOLCxhtZ002sDXis1petOKPkT-SlvUKP9eis4H6Avl_CS7JrgvtIn_0cD-SWGmwDZCaENgTPHgo-x1o3bZ5KLcX4Yq2_IrPNvrZX9THoIkmLN-5ksL_xSB
Crf41hU1eXOL2uzwFU8EH-X8g-syHCo7PmG4psGclXk8Ky0l2lil6UL_AGDLOLRoPR6I1EiY7XPbMyYIXMid8O9jhdpJWeRr4P7rSta2mDup7g_ZoO6tHaGH7gjaIeHspGpOpN9j
utUkV3rbtY18XBX1L669ZDkuuJYcWSVUESD7f13UZBwO-o9gnbiPuGxRvHNP5-NaB351-41N58v94O0P8YW3FhnXW2-aunhF8a6kZMQOym3rvu2lza59mTmOdIwQItLEmYvK5JQU
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 5.41 BB,Hero raises to 39.7 BBand is all-in, UTG+1 calls 34.29 BB I played real solid poker the whole tournament. I was 5th stack (he was 3rd) with 6 players from the bubble. I hadn't won any monster pots either, I just feel like I had played really well. HOW DO I STOP MYSELF FROM PLAYING WITHOUT THINKING when running deep in a tourney? I seem to do it often, and then look back on these hands with my jaw wide open. Any advice?
Hi there, I've highlighted a few things which caught my eye as I was reading. First off, I’m not sure how much you’ve looked at ICM theory but I think you overplayed this hand, and it appears to be a tilt issue. I see that you’ve already recognised this in your opening statement. So I won’t over-analyse. But I think the main issue here was how your range was adjusting to his “Maniac” range. QTo is a little too weak to be 3Betting with… I’m normally flatting with this hand in your exact situation but you had some fold equity to offset your weak junky broadway. I think your 3bet sizing was a little small, it’s a suspiciously inviting size and looks like you want to build a pot. The pot odds you offered him were so good that he could pretty much call with most of his range. So I think the question to ask yourself is “What was my min 3Bet designed to achieve here, what is the reason I am betting? …. Am I betting for Value? And if so, how often do I expect to this hand to hit a good flop and make money against his range? How do I get value with a less than min 3Bet size? …. OR am I betting as a bluff? In which case my objective is to get him to fold… does he want to fold to that raise size I just made?” … Not likely. But like you said, you were “playing without thinking”. Now on the flop, you have top pair with a weakish kicker on a moist-ish board with the two diamonds out there, and some broadway-ish straight draws. So re-raising was a decent move here. It allowed you to get some more information about his hand, and also charge the draws a heavy price. Unfortunately, your raise size of nearly 8x murdered your stack. In terms of ICM, and the relationship between your stack size and the relative differences between all the other stacks, you risked an enormous amount of Tournament equity with Top-Pair-Ten-Kicker. The presence of the MP2 shortstack and other low stacks should have tightened your hand ranges to exclude QTo. Also, this 'Brunson Trouble-Hand" is not a hand that wants to play a big pot. A raise of about 4x-4.5x would have been plenty to define the hand and move him off a lot of marginal stuff. I like to use a postflop re-raise size of about 2.5-3x and a 4Bet size of 2-2.5x. I use a similar sizing range for preflop raising also. But I tune these sizes based on my equity, board textures, stack sizes and pot commitment factors. So, overall my advice is to constantly try to stay aware of stack sizes, bet sizes and ranges at all times (I know how hard it is to remain focused in an MTT, it’s hell but you just have to find a way). If you keep your mind constantly occupied by thinking through every hand, even one’s you're not in, then you can keep yourself focused. It’s very hard not to let the mind wander in tournaments. Happens to me a lot too but I constantly try to refocus myself by asking myself “What’s going on here?” every few minutes and try to zoom in on what people are doing. It very much seems like you had gotten comfortable in the game and had switched to button clicking auto-pilot because you felt like you had the whole thing locked down. I also think you underestimated your opponent while also over estimating your relative hand strength. Try not to “Over-adjust” to fishy players. Yes they play terrible hands, but when they have monsters it doesn't matter how much of a donk they are. You need to observe them sharply and make sure you notice when they suddenly deviate from their normal behaviour. If you're sitting there spacing out and counting your prize money already, you will miss critical tactical information. As Sun Tsu said: "The Victorious General never misses the moment to kill the enemy". Queen-Ten might seem like a strong hand against a weak player, but it is still weak. It's a drawing hand that needs a lot of help in becoming a monster. Top pair is not enough. A fish with Aces is just as dangerous as a reg with Aces. I hope you made a note that he just flat calls a min 3bet with AA because info like that will go a long way to putting him on a range in the future. Focus your mind with number crunching and some relaxing music. I listen to meditation music while I’m playing to keep myself level headed. Try the ‘Meditative Mind’ channel on YouTube. It’s excellent. Best of luck out there, R

Last edited:
L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, I’m not sure how much you’ve looked at ICM theory but I think you overplayed this hand, and it appears to be a tilt issue. I see that you’ve already recognised this in your opening statement. So I won’t over-analyse.

I am aware of ICM and its importance, and the "basics" of how it works, but I have not yet integrated doing any actual ICM calculations into my play.

I think your 3bet sizing was a little small, it’s a suspiciously inviting size and looks like you want to build a pot. The pot odds you offered him were so good that he could pretty much call with most of his range. So I think the question to ask yourself is “What was my min 3Bet designed to achieve here, what is the reason I am betting? …. Am I betting for Value? And if so, how often do I expect to this hand to hit a good flop and make money against his range? How do I get value with a less than min 3Bet size? …. OR am I betting as a bluff? In which case my objective is to get him to fold… does he want to fold to that raise size I just made?”

This is a brilliant note about "why am I betting?" and it seems to be the question that I forget to ask when I run deep into a tournament. My biggest issue is that I am hyper-locked in when I am early-mid tournament. I take my time, assess every hand, run through my bet sizing and pay attention to my opponents every single hand. I do not have any issue getting through the first 60-70% of a tournament field and coming out with one of the big stacks. Whenever I get near the bubble on a longer tournament (This tourney ran just short of 7 hours), I get into an "auto-click" mode, like you said. I do not snap directly back into poker mode and I end up making stupid decisions like the one I posted about when I see a playable hand in front of me. Wonderful analysis and I think that has helped me pinpoint why I make bad moves late.

Now on the flop, you have top pair with a weakish kicker on a moist-ish board with the two diamonds out there, and some broadway-ish straight draws. So re-raising was a decent move here. It allowed you to get some more information about his hand, and also charge the draws a heavy price. Unfortunately, your raise size of nearly 8x murdered your stack.

When he checked that flop, in my head, I discounted him having an overpair and basically committed myself to believing he was on a draw. I just figured the board was wet enough for a pair to bet in front, especially since he had 4-bet preflop and had the betting lead. I didn't think it through (which shows clearly in my terrible sizing). MY hand wasn't strong, it was Top Pair 10 Kicker, and I just wanted to bet him off of the hand without having to see the next 2 cards. Looking back over the hand, I know I could have achieved that with a much much much smaller bet than a shove there. It just goes back to me not asking "what do I want, and what's the most efficient way to get there?"​

So, overall my advice is to constantly try to stay aware of stack sizes, bet sizes and ranges at all times (I know how hard it is to remain focused in an MTT, it’s hell but you just have to find a way). If you keep your mind constantly occupied by thinking through every hand, even one’s you're not in, then you can keep yourself focused. It’s very hard not to let the mind wander in tournaments. Happens to me a lot too but I constantly try to refocus myself by asking myself “What’s going on here?” every few minutes and try to zoom in on what people are doing. It very much seems like you had gotten comfortable in the game and had switched to button clicking auto-pilot because you felt like you had the whole thing locked down. I also think you underestimated your opponent while also over estimating your relative hand strength. Try not to “Over-adjust” to fishy players. Yes they play terrible hands, but when they have monsters it doesn't matter how much of a donk they are. You need to observe them sharply and make sure you notice when they suddenly deviate from their normal behaviour. If you're sitting there spacing out and counting your prize money already, you will miss critical tactical information. As Sun Tsu said: "The Victorious General never misses the moment to kill the enemy". Queen-Ten might seem like a strong hand against a weak player, but it is still weak. It's a drawing hand that needs a lot of help in becoming a monster. Top pair is not enough. A fish with Aces is just as dangerous as a reg with Aces. I hope you made a note that he just flat calls a min 3bet with AA because info like that will go a long way to putting him on a range in the future. Focus your mind with number crunching and some relaxing music. I listen to meditation music while I’m playing to keep myself level headed. Try the ‘Meditative Mind’ channel on YouTube. It’s excellent. Best of luck out there, R
I find any background noise distracting to me when I play poker. Funnily enough, I was actually watching a YouTube video when this hand popped up, so that was probably 1/2 of my problem, because I know I am easily distracted. Love the note about not over-adjusting. I do try to make adjustments quickly, and when I am focused they pan out pretty well. That hand was clearly misplayed based on ONE read that I thought I had on him, even though I missed a lot of key information from lack of focus. I know I should have just mucked when he 4-bet.. he was not a 4-betting player at any other point in this tournament. I just didn't take that into consideration because my eyes lit up that I had this guy iso'd. Top pair flashed on the flop and I lit up again because I forgot that crazy players get good cards too.

When I first lost this hand my initial thought was "holy s*** this guy just trapped me to the felt" because I literally was not thinking this hand. He didn't trap me! I trapped myself into a dumb situation that I shouldn't have been a part of in the first place. He made the bets that you would expect him to make with the hand he has. Since I was not paying attention, even after it all unfolded, I thought I got trapped. I have to start asking myself the same questions late in a tournament that I ask myself early in a tournament, which you have helped me realize. I cannot get too comfortable at any point and have to stay focused throughout.

Thank you for the thorough reply, those are not very easy to come by and I really appreciate it.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find myself having trouble in these spots online as well. For some reason live I seem to be able to stay focused for much longer.

I think your 3 bet is fine but the small 4 bet should be very strong. Calling the 4 bet seems OK since it is only 4 BB into what will be a 20.5 BB pot. But I would need two pair or better or a strong diamond and/or straight draw here to jam with. If you are jamming top pair here what are you calling with?

I am working on having a thought process I go through on every hand. What do I want to accomplish with my action. What do I think my opponents will do with their ranges, What is my plan on future streets.

I also think it is OK to play aggressive but more straightforwardly around the bubble. So 3 bet bet but when called or 4 bet play very carefully.

I would have XC the flop and then XC the turn depending on the sizing of his bet. And then probably XF the river if he shoves.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem as you. I often make mistakes at the end of the tournament and lose everything, although I am in the first place in the list of players. I knew what was going on. I'll tell you a secret)) this is a simple fatigue and nothing more. it is necessary to take a break after 1 hour of play or 1 hour and 30 minutes, it will help not to make a mistake at the end of the game .forgetting to take a 20 minute break can be enough for 10 minutes, depending on how tired you are. good luck in game

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are welcome. Maybe have a read of this article on "pot commitment" which I think will help you to size your bets better in future tournaments and not get trapped by over-investing your stack. But I do acknowledge that you needed to bet heavy to protect your hand. The main problem was that you were in a 4-Bet pot, playing a weak drawing hand Out of Position. This is not a good recipe for winning. You'll know better next time :) In general. if a passive fishy opponent suddenly begins min 4-Betting then to me that screams {KK+}. QTo should not really be in your OOP 3Betting range and definitely not in your 4Bet flatting range. I would say {QQ+} minimum to flat this 4bet and {KK+} to 5Bet shove. Fold everything else, even AKs can be mucked in this spot based on that kind of action.

Read:
http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/concepts/pot-committed/

Last edited:
mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think sometimes we trust a lot in certain situations and take the risk at the wrong time, and watch a 100% perfect tournament is not easy

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
later in tournaments its best to tighten up a bit, especially when the money starts getting good. every knockout is a payjump.

try to minimize the size of the pot rather than maximize it. sometimes, even sitting out is better than playing... especially if you have a huge stack because theyre throw you a KK to fish out on some ace rag that always hits...

but as for this hand, i think you already know what you did wrong. i read the italics, and i would agree with your conclusion. you already know the answer, you just came to the realization a little late. next time come to the realization while you're playing the pot and you'll be ok :) minimize loss.. maybe even find a fold somewhere

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Despite your opponent being very loose and showing weird and bad hands, You shouldn't be 3-betting with QTo. I mean, you are really hoping for a fold pre-flop, and maniacs just can't find fold buttons, and once he 4bets, it is an easy fold for me. Tank for a while as if you have a decision to make, and then just muck it.
Also think about how much You'v actually put into the pot - 20% of your stack. Is QTo worth that much pre flop?
Check on the flop is fine, you actually don't want to make the pot huge, because there are too many draws, possible overpairs and sets. If you feel that you are ahead of your opponent, why would you ever shove and make him fold something like AJ or KJ?

Anyways, for the initial question, I always try not to pay attention to bubble because I don't want to get excited or anything. I want to stay focused on playing my best game possible. There is no real advice to be given here except to stay focused, and not playing huge pots right before the bubble. Also try not to get tilted. If you feel fatigued and tired, take a 5 min brake, then just continue playing the best you can.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation, it sounds like you overplayed that hand a bit. Q-10, generally speaking, is not one that I find myself wanting to get my money preflop on. If he was playing like a maniac, what you want is for that move to make him fold. If hes been running hot with garbage, sometimes its best just to observe for a bit and see how things play out

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah its tough to play an aggressive good player shorthanded.
They hide there range well as youv'e seen.
Huge overbet on the flop. that was your mistake.
There really was no point in shoving over the utg that large unless you reaally think he will call/draw anything less than all in.
if villian has AK KQ QQ KK AA QJ Q6 66 they are not folding
If the Villian has K10 K9 KJ 109 Ax Kx Diamonds You optimized fold equity and would have won it on the flop and played it great!
Gl out there

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its dangerous these big stack guys raises a lot of hands also with garbage, so they get max paid if they have a monster like in you situation. In my Opinion, maybe you shouldnt play K-K in this spot slow and if you do, fold on the Flop because calling its too dangerous and will loose you money.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in 3rd position and there are 3 players with 20BB or less.
You can easily outlast these players and move up in the prizes.

In this situation you must think twice about getting into a hand
against one of the opponents that can bust you.

I understand your initial thought about entering the hand, because
of how you classify your opponent. But even the worst donk gets
top cards every once in a while.

When it's late in the tourney then ask yourself if you really are willing
to go broke with the hand you have when you play someone with a bigger stack.

His preflop re-raise already shows that this is not going to be a hand
where you can see a river cheaply. I don't know how this guy played
the weak hands he had raised preflop before, but the fact that he invites
you to call after the flop ( he is offering you great pot odds ) should make
your alarmbells ring... If he was weak he would probably bet more to
scare you out and destroy pot odds for some of your range.

For me it helps to really ask myself if i am willing to risk my tournament
with my current holding. Since Q10 is probably not such a hand, it it doesn't
seem to be for you either, then fold or at least try to keep the pot small.

But i also think this hand was simply a bit unlucky for you...
Had you missed the flop instead of hitting top pair you would probably
have folded after his post-flop bet.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love the response from Ragequit...excellent stuff. I am trying to make the why I am betting question the most important tool in my poker kit. I don't always succeed. I've learned that fatigue and emotion are the 2 factors that get in my way. Fatigue is always something to deal with after playing hard to get to a final table. Add emotion into the mix, though, and mistakes can cost you. In your scenario you decided to confront the bad guy. His past behaviour got under your skin so, as a result, your actions became emotional reactions ans you played without thinking.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Regardless of Villain stop playing QTo around the bubble.Your focus there is the FT, not out playing a fish.You have to factor in a Ace in any hand they continue with so pre-flop there is a huge chance you are dominated.
You have to play tight against weak players at this stage because you are approaching the bigger payouts. Variance is always the third player at this stage of a tournament.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can seem to play beautifully up until the bubble, and then for whatever reason I will make a terrible terrible terrible play that I know is bad, and still do it. Following hand just bumped me from a tourney, (My thoughts are in Italics):

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 500/1,000 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN (BTN): 18.89 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 35)
SB (SB): 31.45 BB (VPIP: 20.78, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 79)
Hero (BB): 49.83 BB
UTG (UTG): 56.72 BB (VPIP: 30.77, PFR: 22.58, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 67)
UTG+1 (UTG+1): 68.23 BB (VPIP: 68.42, PFR: 42.11, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
MP (MP): 36.33 BB (VPIP: 17.31, PFR: 9.80, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 52)
MP+1 (MP+1): 20.68 BB (VPIP: 5.00, PFR: 5.56, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 20)
MP+2 (MP+2): 10.89 BB (VPIP: 10.71, PFR: 7.69, 3Bet Preflop: 18.18, Hands: 28)
CO (CO): 31.08 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Dealt to Hero:
:qc4: :10h4:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, UTG+1 raises to 10 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

- This guy has been a maniac all day, raising with things like J6o, K3o, etc. I am 3-betting Q10 because I dominate his raising range (min-raise at that) and can defend if he calls my 3-bet. I should have folded the 4-bet to begin with but IDK why I didn't, these are the dumb moves I am talking about. He hadn't 4-bet a single hand all day and was laying down his raises to any 3-bet.

Flop (21.62 BB, 2 players):
:qd4: :jc4: :6d4:

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 5.41 BB, Hero raises to 39.7 BB and is all-in, UTG+1 calls 34.29 BB

- I intended to check raise this flop with Top Pair, hoping to check raise a paired Jack or stone cold bluff. Happy with ending the pot right there with the draws available. Looking back on it, I should have open-bet the draw anyway, and would have saved myself money if he was to reraise. I should have no desire to build a huge pot here, but for whatever reason I tried to. Especially with the check-raise shove..... its like I was asking someone to stack me. IDK why I played the way I did, this all relates to my initial question.

Turn (101.03 BB, 2 players):
:3d4:
River (101.03 BB, 2 players):
:4c4:

Hero shows: :qc4: :10h4:
(One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 16%, Flop 20%, Turn 9%)

UTG+1 shows: :ad4: :ac4:
(One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 84%, Flop 80%, Turn 91%)

UTG+1 wins 101.03 BB

I played real solid poker the whole tournament. I was 5th stack (he was 3rd) with 6 players from the bubble. I hadn't won any monster pots either, I just feel like I had played really well. HOW DO I STOP MYSELF FROM PLAYING WITHOUT THINKING when running deep in a tourney? I seem to do it often, and then look back on these hands with my jaw wide open.

Any advice?

I feel you and I find myself doing similar things sometimes.

I really blame your play on fatigue - low blood sugar - dehydration - etc.

It's not a coincidence that this behavior is occurring close to the bubble because that means you have been playing for hours (maybe even all day)….with nothing more than 5 or 10 minute breaks every hour or few hours. Sometimes that is just not enough recharge time.

Because you already know some of the mistakes you made - I won't rehash those.

But to tie your decision making into my theme of fatigue being a major factor...

I don't hate your 3-bet. But really you had 3-bet with Q-high because of a narrative that you began to generate in your head...."He's been loose all day....I'm ahead...how dare he.....little raise....WTF is that?" LOL There is a hint of anger, resentment....and low blood sugar.....like a candy bar would solve this. No offense meant if you have diabetic blood sugar issues or otherwise. But I think you can see my point.

That narrative led you to ignore his 4-bet (yes another min raise **ALARM**). Normally you might fold Q-high OOP but it fed into the angry narrative that he has nothing but a bluff on your BB. AND...to sort of "confirm" your theory that QT is justified you get a Q-high flop. This all feeds the angry story and you can feel yourself falling into the rabbit hole of anger....please see Yoda from SW to find Zen about anger.

Furthermore.....you check-shove and overbet the pot???? For what purpose? To get him to fold?

To me that shove was a fatigue/low blood sugar motivated move.....'I'm just gonna shove on his nothing and he will fold'

I don't want to really discuss math or what are the odds he wakes up w a monster in that hand.....etc. etc. Not that they are not worth discussing BUT....the fatigue explains (to me) your motivation at each step and the resulting decision.

People always say "I'm fine, I'm fine." But being well hydrated is sooo important that i make sure I get a full glass of water OR 9 gulps from a water fountain every brake.

Good luck !

Last edited:
KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all know we shouldn't bring our emotions to the poker table but we are humans.

Nobody wants to be fooled or feel fooled so that's why we decide to go to these stupid ego battles against maniacs.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sure this guy is probably opening to many hands, but "all day" is only 8 out of 19 hands, so calm down and be patient. Even against a 42% range QTo is not a hand, you want to 3-bet out of position, so just call his mini-raise and see a cheap flop. In that way you keep his range wider, and you can call two or three streets of betting with your top pair meh kicker and still survive with chips left, if he has you beat.

The preflop 3-bet kind of doomed you, because when you flop top pair, even with a not very good kicker, I just dont see, how you can get away, when the pot is so big already, and there is so little left. So the important is to get rid of that urge to be the sherif and come after a maniac, who is out of line. Just let him be out of line and let someone else attempt to bust him.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's called 'Fancy Play syndrome' :D
you pick a marginal Hand and have to 'outplay' an Opponent who we think is weaker than us.
good Thing is that you figured out how bad you played this Hand. I see myself in those situations sometimes aswell and thinking About it 1-2 Hours later, I see how bad I played.

1.) fold pre vs UTG open. you don't want to Play QTo OOP on the bubble.
2.) if you think he is Opening to wide and you want to win the pot with a 3bet, fine, but fold to any 4bet, even if it's a min 4bet. you might get the Right Price to call, but that's the Problem. he has you dominated most of the time.
3.) don't check raise top pair with almost 2x pot size. he has JJ KK AA and Ax combodraws. also AQ or even AJ with fd. you said he never 4bet, therefor, even if he is a LAG, his range is strong and crushing your QTo

just Play your game and don't get into the Fancy Play Syndrome ;)

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look like to me you need to know when to polerize your range and when not too. Your getting a great price to play a mid range hand OOP, there is no reason to raise here against an already tight merged range, even though they have been playing super wide. You have 46 bugs, why bloat a pot OOP for 5BBs in the pot? This an easy call pre, and an easy call down against a maniac.... if they are betting wide, it's super easy to just call them down and let them spew.