How to reach the top?

O

otela11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to learn how to play in high limit tournaments, where is the best place to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you already profitable over a significant sample like 1.000 tournaments and if so at which stakes? If the answer is no, then you need to start in the micros, and a good course is Cardschat "become a winning poker player in 30 days". If yes and you are already beating say up to 12$ tournaments, then maybe one of the paid training sites like Upswing Poker or Pokercoaching is the answer for you.

Its also pretty mandatory to get a program like ICMizer, if you dont have it already. In 1-3$ tournaments you can get away with making some slight ICM-mistakes, because there is always another donkey waiting around the corner to dust off his stack to you. However as you move up, margins get thinner, and so does therefore the room for not knowing the correct push-fold ranges.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for recommending the course Fundiver, and your advice here is definitely correct: There’s no substitute for grinding up the buyin ladder. You can for sure take it faster than most would recommend if you’re studying a lot and have a good bankroll, but building up properly will really pay off in the long run.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I want to learn how to play in high limit tournaments, where is the best place to start.
Please can you give your threads relevant titles rather than just calling them all "where to start".

How are we supposed to differentiate between your different topics and the content within them if they are all entitled "where to start" regardless of if the thread is discussing ice-cream or the death penalty?!

Does that make sense? :eek:

Have a little read here if you still aren't sure what I'm trying to tell you...

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/new-members-corner-76/what-a-quality-post-323519/

I'll help you out by editting the titles of a couple of these "where to start" offerings, but if you generate more- I will just have to delete or report your threads.

Nobody wants that! :love:

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
start by studying the rules of poker, then something about strategies and after that you can try watching some tournament analysis videos on youtube.

Here on the forum you can search for any topic you have doubts, or simply browse through the strategy section and look for something that can help you.

Before I can help you with information I need to know what your knowledge is, what level of game you are in, what values ​​you play, what modalities you like, if you are starting and don't know anything I advise you to start with MTT or SNG.

The basic thing about any game or type of poker is knowing how to use the position to your advantage, observing the texture of the board, and doing good bankroll management.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can get to the top by stopping in front of the mountain and then climbing. At the top you will definitely be at the top where you will soon notice that there are even higher mountains and even bigger peaks. It all depends on what your goals are, because some who have the smallest hill mean Mount Everest but some who have K2 also have only a small ascent.
It is a matter of all perspectives.

Good luck.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As they say in Las Vegas, "The best way to make a small fortune gambling, is to start with a LARGE fortune." LOL...start small and study the game; know your theory. There are plenty of free courses and videos to watch to learn the basics...apply what you learn and you will naturally start to win more...more winning means you can afford higher stakes.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a closer look at Chris 'Jesus' Ferguson's approach to acting.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Anyone on the Forbes lists can get to the top of poker bets in tournaments, since for them the biggest bets people play online are such small amounts that they don't even mind throwing them away )))
But what ROI they will have is another question :D

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to learn how to play in high limit tournaments, where is the best place to start?

Start with small limits. Practice the game more. You will feel the power and realize that you are ready to play at high stakes it will happen as and when experience.