How to play pairs in a tournament ?!

S

SFHazzard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! This month I tried to play some tournaments and in may cases I was eliminated after going all-in with pairs like : 88 , 99, 10 10 , QQ . Do you have any advices about how to play with hands like this ? It might help me in future. I'm looking for your advice. Thanks!:p:D

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! This month I tried to play some tournaments and in may cases I was eliminated after going all-in with pairs like : 88 , 99, 10 10 , QQ . Do you have any advices about how to play with hands like this ? It might help me in future. I'm looking for your advice. Thanks!:p:D

The key to your question is in what situation where you eliminated?

Was the all -in appropriate for the situation.

Example 88 over limp 3 players flop 247
All in 5x pot on flop villain shows 1010.

This is not a good all-in.
Same as above but villain shows A7 and you lose to river A or 7 that is not a bad way to play 88.

So we need to know your actions and your read of villain to know how you played or if we would play differently.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience people seriously undervalue pairs, especially 66-99. It's strange that they will bet everything with JJ+ but get timid with 88 in spots where it's crushing the villain's opening range. Pairs are my favourite because they play well multiway and as a 3-bet jam to isolate.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In freerools everybody call allin

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless Im shortstacked I rarely go all in preflop even with AA. After the Flop I usually want to beat top pair and be bet into before I go all in. All in is over used I think especially in early stages of freerolls.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they are playable hands in some situations, but never all in. unless already in the fold push.