How to play many calling stations in tournaments

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made a similar thread but want to elaborate and get some suggestions for a specific example from tournament I played last night. First, this is a live game. Where I play is loaded with calling stations. Many say raise big with big hands but that seems to get me in trouble more often than helps. For example, last night I got AKs early on, blinds where 200/400 , I had nearly 20k, which is starting stack. 3 limpers, I raised to 2400, they all called, plus the bb called. Guy shoves on a Q high flop. Just seems with this Many calling stations, I'm not getting hu with any raise so why not play more small ball style? So question is how would you handle AKs vs this Many calling stations and what do you think of playing more like 2.5x bb raise, smaller cont bets when you hit, then being cautious when tptk gets called, since with so many in pre, 2 pair or better is very possible.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LoL, welcome to live low limit play. The solution is simply be more aggressive and make bigger raises. Pay attention to the game. There is a point where people fold. Obviously 2400 wasn't it. Next time make it 4k and see what happens. If you are in late position and have a couple people limp in front of you, simply shove. If you start making larger raises and shoving, after a few times people start limping less. The problem is that 2400 when I have a 20k stack just isn't a big enough percentage to make a lot of limpers fold. Live is just a different game. When I play 1/2 live, there is only 3.00 in the pot. I could raise to 20-25 and still get 2 calls. Pick your spots and play big pot poker. This will settle down the table.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LoL, welcome to live low limit play. The solution is simply be more aggressive and make bigger raises. Pay attention to the game. There is a point where people fold. Obviously 2400 wasn't it. Next time make it 4k and see what happens. If you are in late position and have a couple people limp in front of you, simply shove. If you start making larger raises and shoving, after a few times people start limping less. The problem is that 2400 when I have a 20k stack just isn't a big enough percentage to make a lot of limpers fold. Live is just a different game. When I play 1/2 live, there is only 3.00 in the pot. I could raise to 20-25 and still get 2 calls. Pick your spots and play big pot poker. This will settle down the table.
Well do I really want to commit 25% of my stack with AK, and honestly I'd probably still get callers, more than 1, and do I then shove any flop. Problem imo is my choice is either take down small pot or look to build stack post flop when I hit it big

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20k starting stack makes these type of players think they have the chips to call with hands like Ax, Kx, suited and non suited connectors. You just need to pick your spots and raise more.

I like to play these types of tourneys early like this:

You already had 3 limpers and bb and sb for a total of 1800 in the pot before you decide to enter the pot. 2 x 1800 = 3600 raise or maybe even go to 3800.
This seems to get their attention a little more. Try it let me know if it works for you.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have also had this happen early in tournaments in low buy in games. I have would have raised to about the same amount as you have. I do play a tag game but have been successful using this style. The thing is I will raise the limper with my entire raising range. After a few levels they realize i may raise ande the limping stops. I would not want to raise to 4K as winning a small pot is not what i want with such a strong hand. The negative is you may have to play for a while fit and fold poker but the hands you win will be much larger that if you raise to much to get it heads up and like you said do you really want to put 20-25% of you hand in the pot preflop early in the tournament.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise preflop and bet the flop!

Good luck!

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is pretty spot on. Make them pay for their draws and pay to play.

Ninja Jyraia

Ninja Jyraia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make heavy bets and you will have less opponents for the pot.This is a good strategy,but sometimes it doesn´t work out.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did not raise enough for a TYPICAL low limit live. 3 limpers and 6x in a deep live tourney means ALL the limpers will call 99% of the time.
You need to at least make it 8 times so you can play heads up.
They think I have 20k and I will call and SEE WHAT COMES ONE THE FLOP lol

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise as large as you can and still get called by 1 or 2 players.

Goal is to put in chips while you know you are at advantage. And AK is a large fav vs a wide calling range.

E

ElRosado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question is what were you trying to accomplish by betting the 6x?
Were you trying to build pot or take it down? To me value betting if a fools game. With that many in the pot already I would of wanted to win it right there. They limped! So unless I know them to be a good trapping player(there's not many) my bet has to be 6k-7k range. Or just limp also looking for the monster flop.