How to play in a KO tournament?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, I have some questions to ask about the KO tournaments.

1) What differences do you find in KO tournament players compared to conventional tournament players? Is the game more conservative or more aggressive?

2) Do you follow a conventional strategy for this modality or do you make a special game plan for the KO?

3) Do you prefer a conventional poker tournament or knockout?

Good luck at the tables, greetings.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I find the game much more aggreasave than not. You are also much more likely to get called when you go all in as people will try to just attempt to win your bounty. This is both live and onlune and believe me, some of the calls i have seen have been an utter amazement all just to win the bounty.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont mind the KO format, but I dont really prefer it either. It is very popular though and tend to attract many bad players, so if your goal is to win money playing tournaments, there is a pretty big incentive to play these.

They tend to play more aggressive than regular tournaments. To some extend that makes sense, because you can not contain for the bounties, unless you have other players covered, and this obviously reward a "go strong or go home" style of playing.

Some people take this way to far though. So in the first few blind levels, where stacks are deep, its still best to just sit back and let these goofballs bust each other by showeling 100+BB in the middle preflop with their 66, AQ or whatever.

And never late registrate for these events. Sure if it started 5-10 minutes ago, and you want to play, whatever. But people, who buy in after 2 hours, when half the field has already busted, are not even contending for the full price pool. And in top of that most other players will have them covered, so they need to dubble up at least once, before they can even begin to contend for the remaining bounties.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, in tournaments with knockouts, the game should be more aggressive. But in any case, it should depend on your experience and skills.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play a very tight range pre flop, which should mostly consist of poker pairs.
Dont overplay your strong AK/AQ hands.
Also play very aggressive, IMO you should adjust your preflop bets to be higher then your usual preflop bet in regular MTTs. Thats mostly because people are likely call you with bad hands anyways, so why not build the pot from the start and build a stack.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven’t played much KOs but i once saw a streamer play and discuss how playing LAG or TAG or a mix of the two is your best chance at making the most out of KOs.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the game is more aggressive on a knockout tournament. when we have a good hand we try to go all-in against an opponent to win the bonuses. for me KQ is a good hand to defend. after all depends on your stack, your position and the style of play of your opponents. If the flop is not favorable. in general I fold this hand. I have an aggressive style of play so I like more KO tournaments.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play as always, but I always want to beat as many rivals, I can't help myself, but it usually kills me

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I really like this type of tournament, but I have never played professionally in them. I am pleased to read tips about more correct strategies for playing in these tournaments. In such tournaments there should be a goal to knock out as many opponents as possible, and for this the strategy of the game should be different from the strategy of the game in regular MTT. I will gain experience and read useful tips about this type of tournament. Thank you and good luck at the tables.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Personally I think that in the KO many play aggressively, this can be for: strategy or just for wanting to win the rewards, I try to play them normal trying not to focus on getting the rewards for elimination, it is a distraction, as a game as if outside a normal tournament I have no preferences, of course KO tournaments have that extra that by eliminating a player you earn a reward, that gives you an extra point

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these tournaments, you have to play aggressive from the start, to double your chips, so you can eliminate the shorts stack later.

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as someone said out there, the KOs are more aggressive pre-flops, the goal is to eliminate many people, normally the KO prize is more or equal to the tournament itself, there is a lot of weak player in the early stages of the tournament and there you can take advantage, personally I don't like them very much but you can make good money

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
these tournaments is important to eliminate players, and if you have more chips than the rest of the table, you'll have more chances to eliminate players and win reward.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me I like to register about 30 minutes after the start of tournament, because there are lots of shorter stacks that I can bust and potentially take their bountys. Aggressive play is only right play in KO tournaments

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like KO-tournaments. At an early stage, I try to play more carefully. but much depends on opponents - many players will very often make a call with trash hands

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I have some questions to ask about the KO tournaments.
1) What differences do you find in KO tournament players compared to conventional tournament players? Is the game more conservative or more aggressive?
2) Do you follow a conventional strategy for this modality or do you make a special game plan for the KO?
3) Do you prefer a conventional poker tournament or knockout?
Good luck at the tables, greetings.
1) People Play a lot more LAG. they call/bet/raise with Bottom pair, small fd, gutshots,....
the early stage of a KO is a disaster.
2) It's more like hit or run; I don't overplay AK/AQ or top pairs. also bluffing is not a good idea. if i have a strong Hand i let them pay for it. most important is to Keep a healthy stack to be able to get the bounties if you knock someone out.
3) I mix them up but prefer non-KO tournaments

KO is the most disgusting game type in poker
If you Play them the first few times I totally agree :D

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In knockout tournaments, with people basically trying to catch more of the knockouts forgetting about the strategy and rules you have I gave advice to adhere to the same principles and structures that you are aware and bring their results and the knockouts will come together with the right game!

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Personally I do not like this mode, you have to play very aggressive and also resist the aggressiveness of the other players.

AttitudeXL

AttitudeXL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played mostly ko:s this year and i have come to cross funny phenomenon in microstakes tournaments. Players with big stacks become so blinded, ay the early stages that they will call all in by themselves just because they have stack and few knockout. They just convinced them selves that they unbeatable . I have witnessed their fall and prayed multiple times on those situations.