how to play an ante big blind tournament

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I'm going to play a live tournament the day after tomorrow and it's a tournament where all the antes are being paid by the big blind.
How do you guys deal with that? Are you even more agressive on the big blind or do you consider the ante 'lost' and don't take it in consideration on the big blind?

Thanks in advance!

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have heard of such tournaments but haven´t participated in one... IMO though since you are paying more as BB you´d be forced to defend your blind with a wider range? Unless you chose not to then I think the remedy to this is getting more aggressive with the cherry hands to compensate the antes you forgoe when you fold big blind semi good hands...

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not going to fight for your ante/blind hand, you should not be playing poker...
Every hand can be a winner, but here's the key to what you ask...
Try to have your eye on at least one blind/ante every cycle... and don't forget that that could well be your own.
Every grouping of folks is different... play the table first... maybe a guy is timid...maybe another is aggressive...
Don't shy away from goin all in to defend your blind/ante if you sense the field against you is weak and your cards can take it...
Good luck...drop back a note on how it went... I would really be interested in anything you glean from the experience!

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not going to fight for your ante/blind hand, you should not be playing poker...
Every hand can be a winner, but here's the key to what you ask...
Try to have your eye on at least one blind/ante every cycle... and don't forget that that could well be your own.
Every grouping of folks is different... play the table first... maybe a guy is timid...maybe another is aggressive...
Don't shy away from goin all in to defend your blind/ante if you sense the field against you is weak and your cards can take it...
Good luck...drop back a note on how it went... I would really be interested in anything you glean from the experience!
Well obviously I 'want' to fight for it, but I don't want to became desperate.
I have a feeling that that how I handle the Big Blind situation will make or break my tournament.

It's a 3 day tournament.
Tomorrow is day 1A, then friday is day 1B and 1C(turbo) and Saterday is day 2 and the final table is played on Sunday.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have played in a few of them and I like them better than the old way. With the BB ante you get to play more hands as the dealer is not wasting time trying to get an ante from each player. As for game play there is not really a big difference. The real difference is when you are short stacked late and you move out of the blinds you are not loosing chips as you wait for a hand for a short time but when you hit the BB then its now 2 BB. Other than these small difference there is really no change in the game or the style of play that I have seen. Good luck tomorrow,

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I'm going to play a live tournament the day after tomorrow and it's a tournament where all the antes are being paid by the big blind.
How do you guys deal with that? Are you even more agressive on the big blind or do you consider the ante 'lost' and don't take it in consideration on the big blind?

Thanks in advance!

Remember that either BB, SB or Antes are compulsory bets, which means, you are forced to bet without knowing any information about the hand you are going to play. The money that you put in the pot is no longer yours! So, every decision you make can only affect your future bets, not you past bets. I think you have to defend as a normal tournament, since the odds you have to pay to see the pot are the same as a normal tournament.

When you make decitions at poker, yo have to think of what can be likely or might happen (always looking forward), yo don't make decitions looking backwards.