How to play Ace within the 2 to 9 range?

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in a tournament and I am dealt an Ace within the 2 middle position, players behind me call the blinds.

What would be good strategies to play Ace middles in the 2 to 9 range early to middle positions?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold.

Maybe shove with A9 if short enough, but yeah...fold.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Miss or a small bet, run into a strong hand a high probability

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, i'll play low aces in the blinds or button depending on villain tenancies. Middle aces middle position isn't very strong.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, i'll play low aces in the blinds or button depending on villain tenancies. Middle aces middle position isn't very strong.

What about suited aces tho? From which position would you start playing A7s on a deep stack for example?

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold fold fold ace rag will get you know where. Maybe if you have a large stack and ace rag is suited i might play it looking for a flush but other than that one specific example fold fold fold.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold anything not suited. A6-9 should be treated like the trash it is and not played unless 10-15BB short. Then you need to pick your spot. You won't see pros playing Ax very often out of position. I even throw away A2-5 away if unsuited and ready to pitch it in raised pots if suited.

Last edited:
TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
middling aces should be tossed for the most part. maybe suited aces in the HJ or CO in an unopened pot depending on the blind players and amount of antes.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only play those ranges on desperate times from late positions

imo

hehasaces11

hehasaces11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree you gotta toss most of those unless you're chasing a flush but even then you can't put too much into the pot especially with other callers .

A

alex trinh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i normally only play A10 and higher

M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A2-5s you could limp (in late position) trying to flop a straight or a flush but beyond that you should avoid playing them as you are going to be usually behind.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing with small aces we must remember that they rarely win a big pot. More often you need to fold small aces than to play them. If play with small aces A2 ... A9 - only from a late position.

Last edited:
C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A2-A9 is a bit different
For exmpl.: A2-A5 can bee god in MP due to draw potentioal so EV+, But A6-A9 is bad in MP, as you are most likely be dominated post flop, even if you are posstion, it can be hard to get of a paird A, but you will be loosing to much if you will be going to SD with it too often + in 3+ way pots drow hands like 79o are getting too good of a price to float for a few streets.