How many of you win going all in with AK?

C

crazy222

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It drives my crazy to see so many people win the pot with AK, when I swear, I think I've only won twice in all the times I jumped in with it... to the point, I'm willing to fold it from now on! I start aggressively to try to weed out the fish, and still get busted by someone holding 89 offsuit.. just sayin!
I want to know if this really is the BIG slick, or a big lie???

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A) You've won more times than twice with AK.
B) 89 has ~35% equity pre.

Last edited:
vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i fold this hand..its dangerous for me...i just call to see the flop..if dont have A or k i fold its the best move for me..i have lose meny times with this hand :D

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to see real statistics, how many times you win or lose with AK hand you need to use software, for example -HM2.
at the distance, it will fall into place, and it will become clear whether you play successfully with this hand.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very treacherous hand. When I write this post, just lost with AK at QT (opponent hit a strait) but not only that U can easily loose your AK with pair or small hand if you not hit A or K.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It drives my crazy to see so many people win the pot with AK, when I swear, I think I've only won twice in all the times I jumped in with it... to the point, I'm willing to fold it from now on! I start aggressively to try to weed out the fish, and still get busted by someone holding 89 offsuit.. just sayin!
I want to know if this really is the BIG slick, or a big lie???

I win about half the time with AK and lose half the time against AK.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
depends on how many players calls you , AK is very foldable especially in early

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stronger you think your hand is, the more dangerous it will be!

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a strong hand nothing special about it to make a statistic. I rather have a pair then Ak, for example 22 vs ak got a bigger percentage.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always try to remember: DON'T OVERPLAY AK! It's the best way to lose all your chips, I know.

In the next minute, I'm shoving. :laugh:

I will learn this one day, I swear.

linaxmama

linaxmama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the hand is pre flop and I have a good stack I prefer to raise, if many players call or have gone allin, it is necessary to evaluate the situation to see if it is the best alternative, if it is all n with few blinds it would be practically 100% of the times, against 1 player too

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just realized i never answered but i am never afraid to get my chips in pre with AK.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AK is a great hand to play, not as good when going all in preflop. I would much rather have a small pair when going all in, and AK to see a flop. The worst you can have on the flop is two over cards with a 70% chance your villain missed the flop. Often, you and the villain hit one card, and you win with the kicker.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a great hand to play, not as good when going all in preflop. I would much rather have a small pair when going all in, and AK to see a flop. The worst you can have on the flop is two over cards with a 70% chance your villain missed the flop. Often, you and the villain hit one card, and you win with the kicker.
If you're comfortable getting it in with a small pair, the same should be for AK.

Lets give villain a basic all-in call range of 22-AA, any broadway, A2s-A5s. If you have 22, you have 40% equity preflop. 66 has 50% equity preflop. AK has 60% equity preflop.

Against a tighter range, say 77+, AQo+, KJs+, A10s+, small pairs have ~35% equity vs ~50% equity for AK.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you're comfortable getting it in with a small pair, the same should be for AK.

Lets give villain a basic all-in call range of 22-AA, any broadway, A2s-A5s. If you have 22, you have 40% equity preflop. 66 has 50% equity preflop. AK has 60% equity preflop.

Against a tighter range, say 77+, AQo+, KJs+, A10s+, small pairs have ~35% equity vs ~50% equity for AK.
I understand what you say, and agree that a small pair is usually 55% favorite at best, and a major underdog to any larger pairs. At the same time, AK has fair to good odds against anything except AA and KK.

I am not saying I am comfortable going all in with either. But let us say there are a few limpers and I am 20BB on the button or blinds. I might go all in with 66, but would much rather raise and play AK.

I am not saying my way is best, but it is how I play. But I am ever learning, as are we all.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ak is just a starting hand just like any other two cards.
A very good starting hand but much is dependent on how it's played, stack size, player types at your table and how close you are to the payouts.

AK is always welcome in the long run.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a tricky hand to play . Sometimes i play it very aggressive, sometimes vs stronger players i even dont mind folding preflop, if there is a lot of action.

P

Peeler2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK all in

I seem to lose against AK on the River all the time. ACR loves the river Ace or King to suck out. :elefant:

costy1300

costy1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a lot of times with AK, even though nothing came:)

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go all in with AK pre flop only in freerolls, because there are to many people who go all in with any two cards. AK is really nice hand to have in any tournament, and it should be played reasonably, not to be overplayed

L

LSTBrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with you

Lost a lot of money with AK...
more than I win

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You probably remember only the bad moments with the AK card. Statistics thing is accurate. AK card must win more than 50%. And if you play correctly with this card you will have less losses. Do not be afraid to throw it away if you notice that the opponent has a higher combination and he is confident in himself.

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against small pocket pairs and 10s Js Qs you are at a small disadvantage all in pre-flop, against Ks and As you are obviously going to be dominated, more by the latter. Most other hands you'll be a slight or major favorite over.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom line: DON'T FOLD AK

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pick my position to jam AK, it has spots it wins and spots where you cant win. Gl all.

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't say that after playing a short distance. you just haven't had any luck for a while. over a long distance, everything will come back to you.