How to maintain a good chiplead

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In just about 7/10 tournaments where I generally build up a good chip lead where I have a monster stack it seems like I start to take a few hits and spiral out of control and get frustrated then I begin to play hands I have no business playing like 7/4 off or 3/5 off because Im trying to force action to regain my chiplead. Im just curious if anyone has any good advice on what to do as far as strategy goes on what to do about taking hits to a stack and how to shake it off and regain composure ? I hate to say it but after a bad beat I try and get revenge with a major suckout in order to punish the one that called me down with a retarded hand:eek:.....

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit out a round, take a walk, get some water. Remind yourself that even if you just took a hit you are still in good position. Don't lose focus of your game. TILT is real, don't let it get in your head. forget where you once were, and start to rebuild the right way. How did you get that monster stack? By playing sound poker and that's what's going to get you back to the top!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In just about 7/10 tournaments where I generally build up a good chip lead where I have a monster stack it seems like I start to take a few hits and spiral out of control and get frustrated then I begin to play hands I have no business playing like 7/4 off or 3/5 off because Im trying to force action to regain my chiplead. Im just curious if anyone has any good advice on what to do as far as strategy goes on what to do about taking hits to a stack and how to shake it off and regain composure ? I hate to say it but after a bad beat I try and get revenge with a major suckout in order to punish the one that called me down with a retarded hand:eek:.....

I had the same problem going after stacks that called and doubled up with marginal hands. Recently I've just played really patiently and stopped looking at the leader board. It works. Yesterday though I busted out at 50+ place after being chip leader because I just didn't get cards afterwards. But there have been other instances where I've gone down to the late 20s and have FT'd after just one or two massive hands. That's all it takes to retake the chip lead.

Having said that I play ABC poker and there are other LAGs that play smarter, bully and chip away at other stacks, who even regain chip leads after doubling other players with the odd hand.

At the end of the day if you can keep from tilting and letting emotions overrule your otherwise sound judgement you have a higher chance of making a monster run.

F

fernandoprrt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the end, you will need luck and skill to win the tourney. So, be patient and play your A game when you have good hands.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, it seems to me that you are beating yourself by playing hands you mentioned when you have a good stack already. Then you said you were trying to get more action going in order to build your stack back by playing those type hands when you should be sitting back and waiting for the hands that built your stack to start with. If you take a hit or two that's part of the game, so at that point you should tighten up your play a little more in order to protect your chips. I'll end this with a fact that you need to keep in mind whenever you play. It's really stupid to set your mind to get revenge on one player that took some of your chips because you miss read him and he did have the best hand. Remember this, you are playing against 5, 7, or 8 other players so you don't have any reason to focus on one player when you have all the others licking there chops and planning how to take all of your chips, and one last thing. Your table image is very important. Use it to get respect so your plays will set the other players to thinking. Ajust but never let your table image alter unless you have a good reason, like when you are setting a trap. They should be thinking that you are bluffing in that situation. Ok that's my 2 cents and more than you might have wanted to hear. GL to you

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too many players sacrifice too much with marginal holdings in position.. ex: your J10 os on the button may not be the best hand even with a big stack, trying to push too much will result in disaster. stay away from getting crasy, tilting, and if you lost a hand while playing your A game, stick to positional top 40 hands, unless its late and blinds are crazy, then you need to dig deep into your bag of tricks

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone on that feedback. You are all correct especially when it comes to table image but I must confess when I posted that it was before I looked up the info already posted here and it was generally aimed toward the freeroll tournaments that I had been playing at the time but also in a general sense. I have had the same trouble in live MTTs as well and thats where this information that you all have posted will be used. PapaC yes very true and well said and very much appreciated.

Thank you all,

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you are ahead with a big stack one good strategy is be aggressive pre-flop and more passive during the pos flop. I'm not saying to you stop to cbet the flop but take care of your stack is a important thing to do.

No one likes to receive a bad beat, but it happens and you have to deal with it, when I get a bad bead I use my own technique. developed by myself. I start to remember the bed beat that I made when only had 1% of chance to win on the flop and the turn and river gives me the right two of the last 3outs to make me win. It happens guys, but remember it happens to you too.

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u have a goods skills just need a little big luck

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beats are annoying but you can't take revenge. It's really important to pick your spots with the best odds for you and chances are that's not going to be against the person who took a lot of your chips.

I

Ian McCudden

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some rally good info here thanks for posting will try and use to my advantage when I am at the table

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That just makes you sofa king retarded. You should try to tighten up after getting a big stack. Only play premium hands. See if that helps.

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to look at tournaments in a different way than cash games. If you play a tourney and get a chiplead, sooner or later you'll lose that lead because others stack up. When that happens, I basically have the same mindset as I have at the start of the tourney. Pretend you just started a torunament and theres simply a higher amount of people that get in the money.

When I have a bad beat after getting a chip lead, Im generally thankful I didnt bust because of it. Because in the end, tournaments is about survival.

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

Well wasn't too sure about where I could post this so that everyone that has been so helpful to give their feedback could see. But indeed you all deserve a huge THANK YOU!!. Yesterday was one of the best days Ive had in a long while on the tables. I cashed in 3 freerolls back to back by following yalls advice and maintaining my cool after a few major suckouts instead of going on tilt and playing random hands and trying to get revenge I just sat back and waited on the right monster hand took back the chips they stole from me in the first place. Also followed another piece of advice which was wait on the premium hands and let the donks kill each other instead of getting in a hurry and trying to build up right away. All in all I just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice it was just what I needed to put me back in the right frame of mind and get back on my game. You all are much appreciated!!!

Thanks and best of luck out there,
Brandon M.

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MAKES YOU WONDER

Couldn't figure out how to make a screenshot or import the hand analysis to get it here but wanted to post this.
Sat out every hand til my BB. When it came to my BB there was a min raise to 80 so I called with 10/3s in diamonds. The flop came 10c/8c/10h. The SB bet out for a pot sized bet of 240. I called the button folds. The turn came 9c. The SB bet like 400. I thought about it for a second decide to call bc a. its a freeroll b. he could be on a draw or just a bluff. The river comes a Kc. He snap shoves. I tank for a few and decide the hell with it maybe I just have a BB special and he is obviously bluffing right ? Showdown I show my 10d/3d. He shows his 10c/5s. And its moments like this that really make you think????? Is it really that possible???? LOL!! Just glad this was a freeroll and cardschat community has really helped me to learn to cool my head after common badbeats like this.....

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
it is not necessary to play any two and every hand when you are the chip leader. If you are seeking for more action just open one or two more tables. The most important thing when you play , as many other card chatters have already mentioned is your table image. Imagine a guy who limps or play 70-80% of his starting hands. You may won some pots but eventually you will get caught by an opponent's better combination.

Selective aggression is the answer to your query!

Try to open hands with equity and be patient, without patience you won't go far in a MTT. In your initial post it is kinda obvious that you already know what you are doing wrong but you are not in position to fix it!

Good luck :)

AlayneBarros

AlayneBarros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also agree with the idea that when it is cheapleadr not all the speculative moneys should be played, only to get in a hand if you can afford to pay because they certainly saw all ins.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good advice! Is a good way to not fall into TILT ...