How long until I can say I'm a profiting poker player?

Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for 1 year, and played 205 games. I have an average ROI of 13.4% with $100 profit. Is it still too soon to say that I profit?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well you are profiting by definition, so..... short answer yes.

long answer.... maybe.

your sample size is pretty insignificant even for MTTs, the problem is one cash can make a huge differance to your overall ROI, so you are better off not worrying about it and put your effort/thoughts into improving as a player.

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any profit is a good thing. not everyone do it there . if you are playing on the lower limits it's a very good result .

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long your's BR value is above your deposits you are in profit. So you are correct profitable player! Stay in profit and i wish you some serious cash! Cheers!

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
You go for a good way. Are you good play, you need learn new strategys.

N

Nutcracker69

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People really seem caught up on this and it is a fundamental flaw in not just the game of poker but in how you classify things.

The first penny you earn above what you spent, is considered profit, and technically makes you a profitable player. If you play a $10 freeroll OD on ACR and "cash" in 10th place, you have earned $0.55. If you have never deposited, you have PROFITED $0.55 and are now a profitable player. I wouldn't exactly brag about it, but it is still a fact.

Secondly, and you aren't quite asking this yet, is people wondering about being "professional poker players"... and this needs to be corrected too.

In almost every other profession, the definition of a professional is a person who is paid to do whatever they are doing. The world's worst DJ who gets paid a few hundred bucks to DJ a bar mitzvah, is, now, technically a Professional DJ.

For us, though, it's a little bit different. Like anything else that is peformance based, you actually don't have to be making a profit to be considered a pro. In a performance based profession, you just need to be focusing on it full-time to be considered a pro. You can actually be a part-time pro, too. But, think about it, a Real Estate Agents might, certainly, feel a little bit better about their choice once they see a commission check. But that first check validates their career choice, but it isn't necessary for them to self-refer and self-identify as a professional Real Estate Agent. Same goes for Poker Pros. As long as it is your only source of "income" even if you're down for the year, you're still technically a Poker Pro... just not a very successful one.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nice response nutcracker. i agree, its bad mental game strategy to think about the money. just play the game and have fun and try to win more often then you lose. the second you start to think about the money is when you start to get into your head and effect your performance.