How do you stay focused in tournaments?

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I drink coffee, red bull and no alcohol. I exercise alot and I take my 5 min break away from the computer every single hour

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like coffee or energy drinks, i try to play relaxed, dont get fixated trying to win, just play your best game and avoid any distractions.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like coffee or energy drinks, i try to play relaxed, dont get fixated trying to win, just play your best game and avoid any distractions.
Whatever works for you.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the same, and do what you have listed...

guerigueri

guerigueri

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I drink coffee and only

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I drink coffee without milk. I don't drink alcohol.

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a good tournament result, one of the more important factors is to stay focused, but now I think you have set up a great question, I agree with noplace4u it is important to stay relaxed, but it is also important that you have good conditions for the game, which means a quiet warm room in these cooler days, not to be under the influence of alcohol or other opiates and simply to give your maximum and the results should be good ...;)

Jeshua Kane

Jeshua Kane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
quiet

yeah i would say it has to be quiet for sure, there is no way you are playing more then one game with children in the room or someone talking to you, unless you just donk it off

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a good tournament result, one of the more important factors is to stay focused, but now I think you have set up a great question, I agree with noplace4u it is important to stay relaxed, but it is also important that you have good conditions for the game, which means a quiet warm room in these cooler days, not to be under the influence of alcohol or other opiates and simply to give your maximum and the results should be good ...;)
Yes complete focus is a must for success. It's interesting to hear all people's opinions, different strokes for different folks! Lol

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah i would say it has to be quiet for sure, there is no way you are playing more then one game with children in the room or someone talking to you, unless you just donk it off
I agree, I hate it when my friend phones when I'm playing a really important game, you think no way am I answering it, but then you do! Fatal mistake, because 2 mins later your in a serious hand and cannot concentrate.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question! That's why so far I only play Cardschat tourneys (League and FRC). If and when I find the answer on how to stay focussed, I'd love to get into tournaments in a much bigger way.

Till then, I going to stick mostly with cash games.

Vladimir Smugly

Vladimir Smugly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink beer, I can chat with friends or watch one eye with a movie. And nothing prevents me from playing. :)

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question! That's why so far I only play Cardschat tourneys (League and FRC). If and when I find the answer on how to stay focussed, I'd love to get into tournaments in a much bigger way.

Till then, I going to stick mostly with cash games.
Be careful, cash games are completely different to tournament play. Good luck.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I drink beer, I can chat with friends or watch one eye with a movie. And nothing prevents me from playing. :)
Are you successfull? are you able to observe how others play doing all that?

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To stay focused I drink lots of tea and no T.V. unless the Leafs are playing.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play hungry makes me more focused. Not extremely hungry but craving food.Suppose to active the mind some type of evolutionary psychology mechanism.

B

brandonnj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing only 1 or 2 tables helps me focus longer. Also during your 5 min breaks its always good to stand up and walk around.

Also I try to think of it as hand by hand rather than a whole, like every hand is your first hand, you dont want to bust but you wont let that affect your play. Helps me think through hands more clearly.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe listen to some music, watch others in a hand, and fantasize about getting 1st place. :D

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope that I will have the right mood for the entire duration of the tournament. For this, I do nothing, but I try to use the suggestion that this is just a game. I use intuition and observe the actions of other players.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm serious about every tournament seriously to play well and get into prizes and win, I listen to music and drink tea or coffee and sometimes I drink beer - and watch TV during the game, and it does not stop me from playing and watching TV!

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to clear my mind. Think only on Poker. Focus on each move and hand.

Anatoliy73

Anatoliy73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to distracted by poker, nothing else is used, although this is not always possible and very often I get emotional.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You know, that got me thinking am i stay focused in tourney or am not as a default? It would seem the easy question but not for me. Your query forced me to look back and analyse my game. I can say with certainty that i dont push me enough to enter into tournament with winning mindset. If i cant adjust my attitude for the game in order to be focused all the time at the table it is not reasonable to seek for the reasons outside. Turn the flashlights on yourself.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm serious about every tournament seriously to play well and get into prizes and win, I listen to music and drink tea or coffee and sometimes I drink beer - and watch TV during the game, and it does not stop me from playing and watching TV!
Ok if you can do others things whilst completely analysing your opponents then great 😀