How do you recommend starting a tournament?

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello everyone .. how about I am martina and I would like to know what you think of how to start a tournament to have good results! .. many of us know that sometimes a couple of aces does not mean winning the jackpot, but sometimes there are strategies that are used at the beginning of the tournament ... how to wait for a particular hand and go all in, steal blind lies, positions etc ... you what game methodology you use.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
depends of the structure, table (6,9), format (turbo...) mtt or sng, how many players, what about entry fee (freerolls, pay - low, med, high stake).

From my personal experience I can only said something about freerolls and low to mid, neve played high stakes, so I am competent to talk about this type.
I mainly play mtt, and on occasion few sng.

I do like to play a little bit lose at beginning while a bunch of them will play any 2 cards hoping to hit big from start so I can double up, then start tightening up as game progress....

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much depends on the structure, format of the tournament, opponents in the distribution and much more. Only the experience of the game will help you, the theory is weak, since in the beginning there are many shortcomings.
Here you are prompted and correctly, you need to play with an extended range and pay great attention to the game of your opponents in order to use their mistakes when playing on hands in the future. First, take notes on opponents, see how players play, if you are not already participating in the game.
There are players on the forum who conduct training, contact them. Since I am very long and tedious to explain the game. Also, I'm not as strong as a poker coach.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The deeper the stacks are the more you can play it like a cash game.

That means "normal" raises pre-flop and try to exploit post-flop mainly.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Hi there, the best way to start a tournament is to reduce any risk .There is no need of being at a huge pot etc....Try to avoid huge risk so you can be at average stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In soft online tournaments the early phase often see a lot of players, who need to see almost every flop. So there is a ton of limping going on, and a normal open raise often gets multible callers. The best strategy in that kind of environment is to play a very straight forward TAG style. Only raise preflop with strong hands and go to a large size. If you get multible callers and whiff, usually look to get out cheap and cut your losses.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had enough answers but I will add one more. What I do at the beginning of a tournament is to observe: watch your opponents, their bets, their ranks, and try to collect all the information you can. Meanwhile, do not get involved in complicated hands, open in early positions with playable hands, if you do not tie anything on the flop, analyze the texture well before paying for a cbet. Identify the fish and look for the opportunity to isolate them and make them make mistakes (pay with dominated hands, or fold when they shouldn't). Don't try many bluffs until you think they can work.
Then there comes a point where you are comfortable enough to do your maneuvers. Then you can do what you want.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I like risky start. Time between 1st and 2nd h. is much more difficult,after that is easy...

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take some risks, acquire chips, then get your bluff on

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the structure, really. It's generally easier to find super loose players at the beginning, so I usually target them with monsters. However, be sure not to play only monsters, take advantage of how deep you are and see more flops, mixing it up so you don't get too predictable.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello everyone .. how about I am martina and I would like to know what you think of how to start a tournament to have good results! .. many of us know that sometimes a couple of aces does not mean winning the jackpot, but sometimes there are strategies that are used at the beginning of the tournament ... how to wait for a particular hand and go all in, steal blind lies, positions etc ... you what game methodology you use.

Generally you want to chip up big in the beginning of a tournament. Stealing blinds isn't important or effective because the blinds are so low.

Nut flush draws could pay off big when you hit them. Also set mining with small pocket pairs can get you paid and triple up or better.

Mostly play aggressively - play position - maybe limp if you are priced in when you close to the button.

Stealing blinds becomes more important during the crunch time when blinds are so high that they are approximately 5% of the starting stack (or more).

Good luck !

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Appreciate the information from you guys. Will try it the next time I am in a tournament to see how things work out.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking risks at the start of tournament will either give you a good stack or end your tournament the choice is yours.:):):)

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much depends on what type of player be. You must not lose your essence, but what I can recommend is to observe and much the table, wait to see what rivals do. Try to figure out how to play premium hands that can bind and so make the most profit.
Do not seek to be who you are not, go your game.
;););)

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live MTTs with buy-ins between $100 and $500. I follow the principal of starting tight and loosening up after a couple of hours when the blinds/antes make it worth the risk. Somewhere around level 6-8 is where things get very interesting. It becomes a real balancing act of patience vs. aggression. You can't go crazy, but you also need to open up your range to start stealing the blinds and antes. At the same time, a lot of players who were too loose in the beginning start getting desperate and are willing to call off their stacks with TPTK hands. You need to keep an eye out for these situations and take advantage of them. If I can win a few decent pots, I have a decent shot of getting ITM.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like playing a game of reduced variance early in the game. this usually consists of avoiding flip preflop and choosing the right hands. I also prefer to play when I have the advantage of the position and do not hesitate to fold if you 4bet preflop. it is a game rather loose but which allows in the long run to achieve better results.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi Monica
Everyone has an opinion, am sure you have yours.
Everyone here has ideas and suggestions.
But the best strategy is playing your game on a hand to hand basis.
There are a lot of hands that eliminate you from the tournament going heads up.
AA vs KK where a K flops and kills your AA.
Or an AK losing to 22.

Play with an open mind is all I can suggest.
:)

Alexander Rubcov

Alexander Rubcov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My last successful MTT tournament was a bounty Builder for $0.55.I went to the late stage of the tournament.My stack rose to the top 5 in 800K chips.I was given a couple of kings, preflop I put 4bet raise, I put Olin push, I have 450k chips left after the bet.I make the decision to Bank 1 million and that's the final stack.I was unlucky.My opponent's hand is ACE King and the flop comes A. My game is over.A coin in his favor.It makes more sense to play the call and to jump on a raise flop bet and continue the fight.There were about 6 thousand players in the tournament.I took 50th place.The strategy of the game was to collect combination and play strong hands.Play outside the box.Expanding the range of calls, Narrowing the range of raises.And stabbing Olin with a strong arm.To train in MTT you will help a constant game, freerolls, homegames clubs .I advise you to start with Sng tournaments and go up the limits.I wish you good luck in conquering MTT.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages you’ll have 100+ blinds for the most part. Hands like AA should be played aggressively preflop. Once the flop comes you have to understand that speculative hands like suited connectors will be involved especially in multi-way pots. You have to understand who’s range the flop gives an advantage too. If it comes 983 with 2 hearts and you raise and get reraised you’re facing a lot of combo draws and sets. Avoid 3 betting here. You can call or fold. Depending on how much of my stack I’m committing I’d lean towards calling. Now if a blank comes on the turn that doesn’t complete a straight or the flush I’d become very aggressive. If you got outflopped by a set you take the loss and move on. You want them to pay for that last card if they haven’t made their hand. Don’t shy away from aggression because you’re affair of getting knocked out. It’s going to happen in majority of the tournaments you play

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I start with calm and simple play. No big risks and no dangerous decisions. I would not like to leave the game so early. Even with AA, KK, QQ, e.t.c. I avoid all in! I act as wiser as I can!

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recommend going all in right off the start several times if possible. If you lose out then get into another tournament. If you gain a chip stack then start to play normally. Nothing is funner in poker then having a nice chip stack at the start of a tournament. And that is my 2 cents!

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of the structure but I try to be tight aggressive, sometimes I change if I think that this way isn't work on this cases I try to be the opposite of the table.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You adapt according to the structure of the game. If it is a tournament of these long resistance I would recommend you to start as slowly as possible, studying the other players and taking your time to make only plays that will leave you a good stack, otherwise, you will end up exhausted quickly and without money.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Take 2-3 orbits to figure out how everyone at table playing.

Formulate strategy based on knowledge gained.

Sometimes it means going into attack mode right away, sometimes solid and patient, other times you wait to attack certain players.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For gipperturbo tournaments recommend doing all in with any hand A + 22+ kj, kq ,. In a typical tournament start from the position. Limp Couple 99 from any position. From the position of 66+ raise. 1010 bbza raise each limp.