How do you react to monotone flops ?

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok so I'm asking how you react to 3 of a suit on the flop when you have NONE in your hole cards...

Maybe you have AKo and 3bet so you have only 10 BB left

Perhaps you have a pocket pair ?

Maybe, despite what I said above you have one of the suit, albeit a middle card or lower...

The reason I ask is cos when I first started playing... just seeing 2 suited cards on the flop would scare me... seeing all 3 would make me insta-fold

Recently, I look at these flops and instantly think bluff?... I'm looking at opponents.. chip stacks.... position... Tightness etc...

Not that I'm an aggressive player or bluffer, but I mean now, I don't necessarily insta-fold like I used to... If people are like me then they are worried others have a made flush or at least 4 cards to it...

One BIG thing I've changed in my game lately is my reaction to these flops when I'm seeing the flop heads up or maybe just 3 of us... I haven't bothered researching the odds but I'm not as freaked as I used to be as long as I have some kind of decent hand... I have seen people flip a 3 and 5 to make a flush etc... but I'm just not that phased as I used to be... BUT... I am very wary of the flop, esp. if a 4th suited card appears !

Just wondering what the thought processes are other players are on seeing this kind of board !

Thanks for reading :)

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo, those kinds of flops means either your opponent has nothing or he has it all, so naturally yuo should be in a check/fold kinda mode, unless you have a possible full house ofcourse, then you need to outweigh your odds.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The odds of flopping a flush are <1% so don't worry so much about it. If you have top pair or over pair, but no flush draw, bet out or 3bet. Especially if it's top pair, top kicker.

If you have a pair with the nut flush draw, definitely bet out or 3 bet big, or jam it in if you think they might have a draw to a smaller flush. Say you Ac,10d and the board is 10c, 5c, 2c. You definitely want to get your money in because you'll get called by over pairs (you have a redraw to a better hand), any 10 pair (910s, 10J+), and you'll probably get called by weaker flush draws like Jc-Kc. Even if they do have a made flush, you still have a redraw to a better hand.

You don't want to slow play your draw hand, though, as it'll kill your action if a club does come off. Lets say someone has a Jc and the 4th club comes off on the turn. They might be weary to get it in now if they think you have the Qc-Ac and you're still showing a lot of action with 4 clubs on the board.

Now, if 4 suits are on the board, you're 1st to act and you don't have a suit, bet out. Always bet out. Sounds crazy but heres why: it gives you a better chance of winning the pot.

-If your opponent doesn't have any of the suits either, it'll be hard for them to call your bet and will likely fold.

-If your opponent does have a flush that isn't the nut flush, it'll be hard for them to call your bet with a weaker flush (say 10 high flush) because there is a good chance you have a better one and will likely fold.

-You betting out takes away their chance at bluffing at the pot. If you had checked and they don't have flush, they could easily bet to represent one, putting you in a tough spot. So, take away this from them and they'll fold.

-If they have the nut flush, they'll probably raise, and you can fold.

So, 3 ways for you to win the pot with nothing.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how high the cards are on the board and how likely villain is to be paired. But generally these boards are pretty good ones to bluff on sure since they are usually dynamic boards, the more dynamic the board the better they are too bluff on.

so 567ddd will be better to bluff on than A27ddd, merely because of the cards you can rep on the turn, and the fact that over cards can also come and make his top pair into second pair, whereas if he has a paired ace, he will find excuses to call you down more often.