How do you play when you are ahead on chips?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sometimes you are lucky in the beginning of the tournament.

Everybody starts with 5000 chips.

Suddenly you hit AA and AA again, and have 25000 chips and everybody else has 5000 chips.

How do you control the other players and steal their blinds?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sometimes you are lucky in the beginning of the tournament.

Everybody starts with 5000 chips.

Suddenly you hit AA and AA again, and have 25000 chips and everybody else has 5000 chips.

How do you control the other players and steal their blinds?

If you have many chips you can put extra pressure on your opponents, but you are also a perfect target for anyone to double, especially if you start playing too loose. I have seen countless chipleaders lose everything by playing it with J10o or other marginal hands.

Obviously it depends on your table. If it is very passive or tight you can steal many blinds, but when they rebel or if it is very aggressive it is better to continue selecting your initial hands carefully and discarding them when the spot does not seem favorable. Do not neglect the odds and outs and do not be anxious to increase your stack. Play controlled, you have enough chips to wait for the right hand.

P.S .: As an anecdote, according to Dan Harrington, none of those who have been chipleaders on the first day of the wsop have won the tournament. At least this was the case until he wrote his book.

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport in which the random influences in the short term, but which, in the long term depends in large measure on the game strategy.

1. AA 2. KK 3. QQ 4. AK (same color (suited)) 5. JJ ndependientemente of your position at the table, a hand "Premium" must always come into play unless someone has made a bet in front of you, mainly if there is re-raises (a new rise after the initial bet.!!

What you have 25000 chips and all others have 5000 chips.??

More in my favor premium game hands to win Best hands as much as possible in order to have a greater number in tabs.!!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just look at the leader board after 2 or 3 levels. You will see the 3 to 4 really big stacks. Now look again around the money bubble, you will see most of them are busted. The reason why is they try to control the table , start playing week hands and losing there stack. While its OK to use your stack to pressure others and play some more hand you must be start about it. My advise is just play your normal game. You can open it up some and use those chips but be careful to not get carries away.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to just play my normal game ... steal from button and cutoff or sb a little more often ... and a bit more willing to gamble with speculative hands in early/mid position like suited connectors and low/mid pocket pairs ... feel my play is not optimal though

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally just play my game. Much more likely to open up more when short stacked as opposed to being chip leader,

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually it happened to me in a CC freeroll on PS.

I just barely made it into the money.

If i had stopped playing and let it do auto posting the blinds I wood have done better.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
In my personal case when I manage to have double or more chips with respect to my opponents ... the first thing I do is expand my hand opening a little more ... as well as try to be more aggressive when I find myself in the button ... either to consider raising on bets that some opponent has made in early positions, or to attack the blinds and steal them ...!

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I play normal, apply a little more pressure with medium and premium hands and try to steal more blinds.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In such cases, I try to play aggressively. This is the best strategy if you are a chip leader. However, risks should always be adequately assessed.

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play by expanding my range of hands and pushing my opponents a little more

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to apply pressure with decent cards

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play as same game as before , tight aggressive ; And try not to bluff as much ;)

GL

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the most logical serious play with your stack, expand your range of hands and play with the pressure of the rival. steal blinds and exploit that do not depend on a good hand to play ..:D:D

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, I take this advantage, play much more confidently, expand my range, and look at the flop much more often. In such cases, when I managed to earn a large stack, I play very carefully, so as not to lose this stack. I don’t like when at the beginning of the tournament I manage to win a lot of chips, I usually end up badly in such tournaments. I steal the blinds from those opponents who rarely enter the game.

S

Slacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the blind level and ITM standing. Most cases I am more aggressive. Try not to get involved in hands where opponent is likely to shove behind my limp or min raise. Keep the pressure on and grow the stack!

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like playing with alot of chips is something I still have to learn.
I take (too) much risk and call this I normally fold.
And when I lose chips I want to get them back as soon as possible.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you picked up that big stack early in the tournament then playing aggressively to grab the blinds isn't the best strategy because the blinds are too small. Play your normal game until you reach the middle stages where some players will fold too often hoping to reach the money. That's when your stack can be a factor in pushing players off their hands.

wolfik1950

wolfik1950

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 Hand out a row of AA I had, and from experience I know that AA does not necessarily give a win, in my case 1 for 4 hands will be lost

Walttinho

Walttinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would try to extract as much value as possible, R, XR, XR, RR

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can play looser, see more flops, but don’t play goofy, because saved chips worth more than the chips you will probably get if you go in some questionable situation.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I had such a chip leader situation I would control my game because as poker gives you it takes you in various situations played and even more in the beginning of the tournament.

supermoto

supermoto

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the position and the players if they are very aggressive you have to wait for hands and if they are passive you must be aggressive with weak hands.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the tournament. If it is a micro-Bains most likely a strong aggression will not lead to the expected result. If this tournament with high enough Bains and no rebuys, that aggression is a good strategy.

Poker Chips - History of Chips