amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Lets say in EP/MP/LP - you average stacked and have 30+ BB

I think I used to overvalue this hand - sure, I wouldn't go all in, but on occasion have followed esp if villian was short stacked and I was in LP.

And yes, might shove myself if below 10BB - but whos calling? Ether AJ+, 55+ I guess.

These days I have really just added to my limping range - maybe min betting in LP or calling min raises in EP/MP but and folding to a 3 bet.

P

pokerfeverRC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
dont u ever play KJ o

haha, no just a joke,

i play it too maybe in late position with no raise or limp in front to steal blinds, or yes i call some bets too, up to opponent and feeling i think,

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It should be no go with 30 + BB, in my opinion min bet or 3 bet is a better option than just limping in let's say middle position in case that everyone before you fold, in other case scenarios, call up to 3 BBs. Shove with 10BBs or less, sometimes with 15BBs if we talk about MP.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i have a healthy stack, i'ts a fold in EP/MP, raise in LP (fold to 3 bet behind) and always fold to a raise. If i have a small stack, its a push if no1 raises, fold to a EP/MP raise, call if i am on SB/BB and button pushes (or push if button raises).

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to gamblingsites dot org, KJo is the 31st best starting hand out of all 169 starting hands. Perhaps you knew that already and picked it as a middle to good hand compared with all the other hands. That is just one ranking source and so position and stage of tournament are important. Also how many people are likely going to see the flop is important. you know your opponents to some degree and can guess who or how many will see the flop usually.
In my mind one of the most important things with KJo is stage of MTT tourny. Early low blinds, then I play it. Sometimes trying to steal blinds and sometimes trying to see flop to see if I hit anything. Sometimes playing it more aggressively and sometimes folding. As the MTT progresses I would play it a lot less. Even small stack should be waiting for a hand that is ranked better than 31st to go all in. Here is the link to that site:
https://www.gamblingsites.org/poker/texas-holdem/starting-hand-rankings/

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
According to gamblingsites dot org, KJo is the 31st best starting hand out of all 169 starting hands. Perhaps you knew that already and picked it as a middle to good hand compared with all the other hands. That is just one ranking source and so position and stage of tournament are important. Also how many people are likely going to see the flop is important. you know your opponents to some degree and can guess who or how many will see the flop usually.
In my mind one of the most important things with KJo is stage of MTT tourny. Early low blinds, then I play it. Sometimes trying to steal blinds and sometimes trying to see flop to see if I hit anything. Sometimes playing it more aggressively and sometimes folding. As the MTT progresses I would play it a lot less. Even small stack should be waiting for a hand that is ranked better than 31st to go all in. Here is the link to that site:
https://www.gamblingsites.org/poker/texas-holdem/starting-hand-rankings/

Cheers for that - great link. Actually didn't really select it, it really is a hand I have overvalued in the past, that site you listed give excellent explanations are why certain hands are better than others, great resource.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never, but never play with KJ, I lost a lot of hands on those cards, I tried to start playing them again but the same story, I don't know how you go, but in my opinion most players don't play them, at least I think so.:cool:

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In ST freeroll games, I will play it from middle to late position.
Around 10 bbs or less a push is always welcome.
In heads up game will play bravely.

In Normal tourneys only play from middle and late position and try to see the flop at cheap price.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play KJ maybe with a call at most with a bet depending on the position. I won a lot of hands with these cards but I also lost a lot of hands. Everyone plays them the way he wants.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, KJo from an early position is a fold. Too weak hand that can cause a lot of problems

D

DixonHuenow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
short anwser is don't play KJo. But it depends on several other important factors, such as your position, blinds, chip stacks, and your opponents playing style. Generally I do not play K J o, but if I am chip leader in late position I might even play 2/7 o.

If you do decide to play it be careful. If its a king hi flop and your opponent check-raise shoves, you should fold. A jack hi flop would be better, but if your playing reasonably tight players even then it's scary.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp from early position with the big stack. With a small short stack all in. In late position raise from the big stack raises. With an average stack limp. Against all in from a short stack is a pretty weak hand. Short stacks are all in with a pair or Kj, kq, qq, kk, Ax. There kjo with an average stack should do fold.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play KJo if I have enough chips or if it's my last blind I go All in. AXs those if I love to play them and see the Flop as cheaply as possible, of course depending on how the game develops it can also be raised a little.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree KJo is not a strong hand. If you're thinking of the top 20% of hands KJo would be right on the cut line. That being said I would play it in certain situations such as defending my BB to a standard raise or calling from LP again, to a standard raise. The main problem I see is post flop. That's where you can over value this hand when you pair up or pick up a straight draw. If I get either result I will not rush to raise. I will try to check it down or at the most call a min raise. If I end up taking this hand to the turn I will be very adverse to investing any more chips in the pot. All in all it's a challenging hand to play.

C

Cezar23927

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of The Times I lose with this hand so ussully I only play IT from position if The other players don t bet too much

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The KJ starting hand's nickname is 'rookie hand', just saying... :biggrin:

ATC can be played under certain circumstances but definitely don't limp or raise and then call off your entire stack to an all-in shove behind by a TAG player with basically the same stack as you...

Unless you like committing your stack preflop with 25% equity or less...

You look like an idiot if you do this (in my opinion)! :laugh: