How do you play hyper-turbo?

Aalexandar

Aalexandar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask all of you guys. How do you behave in hyper turbo tournamens when it gets to a mid to lateish stage? I always find myself having a 2x the average stack or more at those times, but the blinds just get so huge and the game sort of becomes shove or fold with everyone going all in no matter their stack size. That makes it really hard to keep your A game going when you're folding everything but the best starting hands, and if you don't get a good hand soon the blinds and antes eat you up whole. Stealing the blinds from position is out of the question also because of how volatile the tables usually are.

What's your strategy if you play these donkfests at all?

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best strategy is NOT to play. But if you find this type of tournament inappropriate, why insist on playing it?

Do you know the best definition for hyper-turbo tournaments? LOTTERY. Nothing more, nothing less.

You choose your cards, push and stay cheering to have more luck than your opponent.

dominiq

dominiq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly, you don't have to play those tournaments. I don't think that there is other way to win them than pure luck. ;)

charlie2013

charlie2013

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a really sppedy tournament, one week ago, I won the 0,2 sit & go on pokerstars, I got 4,40$. You have to be very pacient because the cards come my friend ;) and this kind af tournament, all the players usually are agressive and "loose" all the time, most of them will be bluffing, so you think that you have a very nice hand, I advice to play the hand otherwise be pacient...

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I get into hyper turbo's because they are some type of satellite or they are a huge mega stack tournament (ie. 25k starting chip rebuy).

My strategy (which has been successful) is to shove or fold. That simple.

The blinds move extremely fast, but people get busted just as fast. You have to get way out in front and just sit back as the numbers drop.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are not a lottery - they have more variance. That is not the same.
1.For any hyper HUSNG or MTT it's importaint to have big BR as you will often be knoked out by a weaker hand (JT>KT) and you will have to wistand the downswin.g
2.You will have to play much more aggressively (some times it will look fishy as say - 3bet shoving TP with weak kicker). As you can not wait for ~10-20% of hands - you will just get blinded off and your AA beating QQ will double you up but you are still very short and in the "red zone".
3.Understand push/fold, as to often you game will be in <15bb range and being fancy with J9s will leave you underpaid or busted.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the middle and late stages of turbo tournaments, try to avoid difficult situations with marginal hands, play only the strongest; Be aggressive and do not be afraid to put pressure on your opponents. In general, you must enter the bank only with the intention to put your entire stack.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Underplay nut-hands, you need to ensure people bet into you as much as possible because if you even slightly warn people of your hand due to the pace of blinds increasing people will be generally tight.

Bubbling is near-impossible to avoid, play as if you are in final 3 the moment it's heading towards bubbling because the pace disallows you to let others kill each other off (you will end up the one killed off if you 'safe' it).

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play Hyper Turbo tournaments, they are almost just lucky.
The BB grows up so much more than any player can get.
By middle/final it's a bunch of all in`s.
Don't play that.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's really just a lottery, mostly every hand smb goes all-in, as for me, i wait a good card and go good raise or all-in

Djmickre

Djmickre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really didn't like to play hyper turbo.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah strategy is the famous push/fold, there is not much to think about.

Equal hands with 10bbs or less is all in / call

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trick is to play late and medium positions. Don't play early position. Don't play aggresive like these guys are saying because what happens is people raise and reraise you. Be patient and wait for a good hand. Raise when you in late position. Play your Q J , K Q , A Q, K J. If you running low on chips there comes a time you have to shove all in, do that but only late position. I've gotten into the money on hyper many times.

B

Badbunny

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The strategy to win hiperturbo tournament is only play a big hand cuz if u play all hand later u haven't enough chips to play and u see how the blind going up and so that's what I tell u take easy and play stark hand and when u have enough chips tief the people chips .

J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Tight In The Early Stages
One of the best things about hyper turbo SNGs is that many players in these games are just gambling. In the early stages of the SNG you will often see players shoving their whole stack in with very marginal suited hands or a naked Ace.
At the beginning of the SNG you should be looking for relatively strong cards from early and middle position and opening your range up a little closer to the button. Typically from early and middle position you should be looking for 77+ AJ+ to move all-in with. If the pot is unopened ahead of you then you can move all-in from the button with any pair, any ace, and a strong King. The same goes for opening the pot from the small blind.
This is one of my rules that I use in the game:cool:

AlayneBarros

AlayneBarros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope for a good hand to fold as soon as possible my stack of chips, if this does not happen soon is getting complicated because generally in hyper-turbo tournaments the blinds increase every 1 minute which makes survival difficult.

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trick is to play late and medium positions. Don't play early position. Don't play aggresive like these guys are saying because what happens is people raise and reraise you. Be patient and wait for a good hand. Raise when you in late position. Play your Q J , K Q , A Q, K J. If you running low on chips there comes a time you have to shove all in, do that but only late position. I've gotten into the money on hyper many times.

The blinds go up very fast. It is not always that you will be able to choose the best cards and the best position.

You'll be consumed by the blinds before you can even position yourself properly.

I really avoid playing.

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And since most players are short, it makes it difficult even fake moves and bluffs to steal the blinds.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One part is luck, and another part is cunning. You have to be aggressive when playing that type of game if you want to be between 15%

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my girlfriend has 2 dollars on pokerstars I told her that the only tournament that she can play is those of 0,02c hyper-turbo. She get crazy on the first week told me that is impossible to play and I believe her.

I am now think in give her $8 to let she play the .10c turbo

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I said that... why you are saying not to listen to guys like me? Think before you speak.

Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask all of you guys. How do you behave in hyper turbo tournamens when it gets to a mid to lateish stage? I always find myself having a 2x the average stack or more at those times, but the blinds just get so huge and the game sort of becomes shove or fold with everyone going all in no matter their stack size. That makes it really hard to keep your A game going when you're folding everything but the best starting hands, and if you don't get a good hand soon the blinds and antes eat you up whole. Stealing the blinds from position is out of the question also because of how volatile the tables usually are.

What's your strategy if you play these donkfests at all?

Hyper Turbo tables are easier to get out early, as many players will enter betting everything on A with 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,10. And for this reason, sometimes a strong hand can lose at the turn and the river.

I'm not a fan of this style, but when I played, I followed the others and got ITM.

We are together!
😎👊

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
What on Earth are you saying? Early aggression is very bad in hyper turbo.

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is very complex and difficult to play these tournaments. Personally I lose even with AA, I do not know why I'm so bad luck. I feel more comfortable in regular tournaments where the bets do not go up so fast and there is so much crazy playing: D

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I do not play those Hyper stuff! just analyze the denomination, No way Jose.