How to determine your ideal buy in range in MTTs?

drbottlecap10

drbottlecap10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, we all want to cash for nice big prizes. But at the same time, my bankroll cannot afford huge hits from a few suckouts in consecutive $100+10 buy ins. But at the same time, I do not want to waste my time in $3.30 tournaments playing for 4 hours to cash for $18.00. So I am curious, how do you guys determine your "ideal" buy in range, and is there such a thing?

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. It is based upon the number of buy-ins you wish to hold at any given moment to support your bankroll management strategy. Many believe that this number should be 200+ although I think 100 would be okay if you don't deviate from your plan.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There’s an article under the strategies tab here that says for MTT your buy in should be about 3% if your bankroll is $100 or less, about 5% between $100 and $200 and 10% over $200. I think that’s a bit high personally. I would suggest having about 50 buy ins just to be safe. You can easily have a run of bad beats and got knocked out several times in a row before cashing.

Good luck.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will be more variance if you are playing MTTs with 500+ people compared to say 100. I think 50 buy-ins for non-huge MTTs is okay.

3cent

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there are so many factors, that is impossible to give you a number
judge these factors and decide what is your number
-your bankroll total
- your average buy in (ABI)
- HOW GOOD YOU ARE compared with population at your regular buy in level (this factor is huge)
-your decided risk of ruin (input your number here , in %)
-your style of play (because it creates variance or less variance this factor in itself)
-the field size (is it a 45man sng or a 10000 freeroll or in between)

i hope these are enough factors for you to consider

J

JEasyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, we all want to cash for nice big prizes. But at the same time, my bankroll cannot afford huge hits from a few suckouts in consecutive $100+10 buy ins. But at the same time, I do not want to waste my time in $3.30 tournaments playing for 4 hours to cash for $18.00. So I am curious, how do you guys determine your "ideal" buy in range, and is there such a thing?
I've been told by several good players 1% (buyin:bankroll) is good bankroll management. But I have never had enough of a bankroll to start with to do that:)