How to calculate what % of hands to call

33Elias33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hypothetical: You call an open out of BB and hit top pair. You check-call all the way to the river at which point your opponent bets full-pot. How do you know what percentage of your overall hands that have made it here to call with?

I know that by calculating direct pot odds on the call in isolation, you will be profitable if you call correctly at least 1/3rd of the time. However, if you are getting to this point and folding too much you become easily exploitable.

What is this calculation?

Thanks!

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think you can look at it like that. Whether you should win or not, should be based on what cards are on the table, not how many times this happens.

posztulatum

posztulatum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes not the cards playing...
One pair of A is not life insurance mate :)
Only calling and never buy info about the other player(s) is not too clever thing I think.
Every success enterprise spends money too. Every success man spends money to his girlfriend or family.

B

biodarwin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hypothetical: You call an open out of BB and hit top pair. You check-call all the way to the river at which point your opponent bets full-pot. How do you know what percentage of your overall hands that have made it here to call with?

First off, you have to develop a range for the villain. Using said range, betting tendencies and pot odds, you can come up with your calling range on the river.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First off, you have to develop a range for the villain. Using said range, betting tendencies and pot odds, you can come up with your calling range on the river.

Sometimes not the cards playing...
One pair of A is not life insurance mate :)
Only calling and never buy info about the other player(s) is not too clever thing I think.
Every success enterprise spends money too. Every success man spends money to his girlfriend or family.

like others have said you need a range for the villain. Sometimes you have to pay the villain off to get info about how they play.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very strange approach to the game. I can not say anything about such a strategy. But I can say that it is fighting a losing battle approach to the game. You can not win the tournament kolliruya certain percentage of hands. Calling the decision on it must be based on the hand and the behavior of your opponent, as well as on the tournament stage and stack size. And when you do there is no information about the player that you give him a great advantage. Make continuous checks to the wrong river. That's why players with AA or KK losing hands worse.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands