How to avoid big lose when you make trips or have top pair against better hand?

B

blacknight92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all !
This is one of the scenario were I always loose all my chips or most of it . And I feel like I played like idiot.

Example:
888 Poker - 50/100 Ante 10 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 59.01 BB (VPIP: 85.71, PFR: 28.57, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, hands: 14)
UTG: 78.58 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
UTG+1: 54.57 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 7.14, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
MP: 47.81 BB (VPIP: 7.14, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
MP+1: 43.8 BB (VPIP: 7.14, PFR: 7.14, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
Hero (MP+2): 55.8 BB
CO: 81.3 BB (VPIP: 35.71, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
BTN: 71.56 BB (VPIP: 42.86, PFR: 28.57, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
SB: 101.96 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.4 BB) Hero has T:diamond: 9:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BTN raises to 4 BB, fold, BB calls 3 BB, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (17.4 BB, 4 players) T:heart: T:spade: 4:club:
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 8.7 BB, BTN calls 8.7 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (34.8 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
Hero bets 43 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 43 BB

River: (120.8 BB, 2 players) 2:spade:

Hero shows T:diamond: 9:club: (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 26%, Flop 23%, Turn 14%)
BTN shows T:club: J:club: (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 74%, Flop 77%, Turn 86%)
BTN wins 120.8 BB

Please provide me some tips to avoid situations like this were I get busted or loose most of my stacks.

Thank you

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I was expecting a hand of trips versus straight, flush, or full house really. Those ones you could somehow avoid them based on reads. But I dont think there is a way to save your stack with those hands and that flop. Its like set over set. Thats my opinion.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
OP, there's two ways to look at it. One is that this was just a cooler. You had a set and a lower kicker versus villain's higher kicker. Shouldn't happen often so you played it well. However.. you lost your stack over it and it hurts.

Second way to look at it is to consider what you are trying to hit by playing T9o. You're looking for draws and a set is on the lower end of those draws. Two pair would be worse because with T9o, two pair would have more reverse implied odds and not much room for improvement. Ideally you want to hit a straight on a dry board. So you can try setting a limit for how much of your stack you will commit to a hand if you don't hit the type of board that you want (in this particular case you would want a straight draw, preferably J8x rainbow on the flop, or otherwise to flop a boat). That way you can let go of the hand if the betting gets out of control.

There will probably be better advice too based on preflop bet sizing, but I find that on 888 this only seems to work some of the time.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please provide me some tips to avoid situations like this were I get busted or loose most of my stacks.

Dont play T9o ? :D (just kidding)

Well, when you flop trips it becomes very hard not to loose a certain ammount of
chips when you actually loose the hand. You played it hard and straight forward, making
sure any AA,KK,QQ, JJ and maybe some 99, 88, 77, 66 would have payed you off there.

Any way to play it different? Maybe slowplay the hand, let weaker hands catch up.
Maybe a A,K,Q or J could have hit the turn and someone actually hit a pair or a draw
they could pay you off with. Would also have the sideeffect that you wouldnt loose full stack to any AT, KT, QT, JT and 44 as the pot would have been sicnificant lower AND it will make
you more chips the times nobody hit the flop and all just insta fold to your trips.

Ive been in your spot many times, and it just sucks when your on the bad side of the kicker.
You should not punish yourself with thinking you did something wrong here, i think you
did just fine but ended out loosing anyway - that simply just happens ;)

Good luck out there :cool:

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a tough situation, no doubt. I think you could've bet smaller on the turn to get some info on the other player and not risk all of your chips. If you did that, the river could've saved you with the possible flush. Also, if someone calls you on the flop and on the turn, it usually means they have some outs or are even ahead of you. When that happens, if I have decent showdown value I check/call the river to see what's going on.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your turn bet is terrible because you give weaker hands a chance to fold and you're only getting called by better in this spot.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Losing on this hand is not really something you can avoid. Your preflop raise was small considering there was a limper in the pot already. When the button 3 bet small again and then with BB and limper calling I don't blame you for calling. I like your just calling on the flop to trap him but why did you push all in on the turn? There was really no draws to worry about here and once you push what hands can he really call you with here. I think you are loosing value here by doing this as the only hands he can call you with happens to have the case ten in his hand or he has a full house.

Don't worry about the loss here. Just bad luck.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you can lose it is part of the game

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands