How to approach players preflop raises?

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had multiple situations where calling a traditional 3x the blinds raise to see a flop backfires and I lose chips, I'm talking about marginal to premium hands.

My question, is it better to call and see a flop knowing your opponent will c-bet or reraise and risk more chips to take control of the action?

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It depends on how deep you are. If you're deep and call the preflop raise you can raise his c-bet on the flop if you feel it missed you both. You'll get a lot of folds. If he calls/reraises you have a decision on your hands as to whether you think he's FOS.

If you're short/shortish it's reraise pre (in most cases a shove) or fold. You can't afford to play back without committing yourself postflop in most cases.

W

wildjoker68

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a rule that has served me well. if you miss the flop, don't put no more money in the pot. when you have a nut raising preflop every hand, wait for a strong pair, or AK AQ or strong pair and shove. then go back to folding until you hit another, or if there's 2 suited cards on the flop you could wait to see if there's a 3rd and shove for a bluff. this is about the only options you got.

Willroquefan

Willroquefan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer re-raise first and then see what the Vilian does.Generaly after a re-raise you put an interrogation point in the head of the vilian .

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to wide of a question.raising indicates strength = you have a better hand (will you be better thatn the ops range of he shoves on you)
calling can be shwing strength post flop.
you should also concider depth (someone mentioned it upside+) ) EV of hands like 89s are MUCH higher in ~100bb stacks and much lower in -20bb stacks.
Generally speaking calling is either for value hunting ... lets say a pair of 66s vse 2 ops or in deep stacks or trapping. But calling too much with stuff like draing gappers in 25-bb stacks will be a leak
GL =)

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's fit or fold. If your hand is worth a cold-call then some suggest it is worth a raise. Theatrically your only going to get called or shoved on by a better hand after a 4-bet. This is one reason they preach position. I fold marginal hands all day to raises. I would have caught the flop on occasion but not enough to play them without decent odds.

M

maykmar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the strength of your hand and watch others play, usually I make a reraise to leave it thinking my hand is already stronger than him!

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play a few hands
When you enter the pot always play strong
Avoid badbeats and always win many chips the few times you play
Do not be afraid to bet !!!

P

panapper

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If youre hand is strong you can 3x bet his raise pre-flop and wait for action on the flop. This will either force a shove from the aggressor or you will just get a call or fold. in that case however just by 3x bet his raise pre-flop you can give yourself some fold equity if you're feeling he really has you beat. if youre first to act sometimes a check raise will make the aggressor fold. other times they will check behind and take you to another street. in the case that both of you missed the flop it can sometimes be beneficial to c-bet your 3x bet by just putting in around 66% of pot and this will also force some calls/folds/shoves. in most cases if the turn is most favourable for yourself a second c-bet around 133% of pot will hopefully get a fold to win you the pot.

hope this helps a bit

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are afraid someone will c-bet you then you need to try to put them in a position where they are afraid to c-bet. I suggest doing this by min-raising his raise pre-flop. Min-raising gives you a few key strategic situations.

1. If he re-raises you pre-flop you're probably crushed and can get away from the hand.
  2. If he just calls then he's probably worried you're trying to leach chips off him. This should be enough to fend of a true c-bet (betting with nothing just because you bet pre-flop).
  3. If he does c-bet after you raised him pre-flop, then yeah, he probably has you beat and you can fold.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be afraid to 4 bet if someone is 3 betting often. This should slow them down and allow you to take control of the pot

P

PokerTraveler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
prefer does not call to manywait good make reize its better

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends on your position at the table, and on what hand, it's better not to raise with a 2.7 on the button (except if you have a monster stack)

S

SCKRPNCHR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer re-raise first and then see what the Vilian does.Generaly after a re-raise you put an interrogation point in the head of the vilian .

This. Also, It's like you are spending money on info with a chance of winning the pot without having to see the flop.

A

Andy3B

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't mention anything about position and/or stack and/or kind of player.
But, usually, if the one raising is in an early position, rises 3-4 times the blind, is telling you (s)he has a good hand, and is probably ready to call a re-raise. then be ready for a continuation bet after the flop.
So, evaluate your hand and stack, and see if you can afford it and still survive in the tournament.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short sighted

I have a rule that has served me well. if you miss the flop, don't put no more money in the pot. when you have a nut raising preflop every hand, wait for a strong pair, or AK AQ or strong pair and shove. then go back to folding until you hit another, or if there's 2 suited cards on the flop you could wait to see if there's a 3rd and shove for a bluff. this is about the only options you got.

This is a very short sighted way to play. If you never put more money in after you miss then you will be missing a lot of chips. This is an easy style to play against and I'd like to be at your table. It is a good and easy way for a new player to not get into too much trouble but in the end you are not maximizing your full potential.