pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Afternoon Cardschat Followers,

Are there any of you who play differently according to the buy in of the tourney and its subsequent value?
I have had many varying views on this approach - personally i play consistent but i know of players who are instantly tighter and more passive according to the buy in and percieved/actual strength of players involved..

What is your approach? Keen to hear your views?

Have a winning SATURDAY wherever you are..

Regards

pirateglenn:D

B

BetterNot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing tournaments with i higher buy in i usually expect my opponents to better so i change my style a little bit. I only play tournaments in which i can play free and dont have to worry about the money spent on it, so that doesnt really change anything for me.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, if you put the same effort playing a 0.50$ and a 50$ buy in, you either a very good player or a very bad. There is no in between:D:D

Playing the best poker is about playing your opponents. The general rule is the higher the buy in, the higher the skills level. So you have to adapt to that and exploit that level. Cant play a freeroll as a high stakes tourney or the opposite.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally have less variance with higher buy in tournaments.

While people feel the variance doesn't change, it actually does. The reason is that better players narrow their range. This means players aren't going to be calling off half their stack with 57os. Instead of 12 hands that are ahead of my hand there may be only 7-8 which changes the math.
Interestingly, this changes as you keep going up. If you start with freerolls you know you are going to be called by about any 2 cards. As you move up you start to see more and more calls with strong hands you would expect to call. Once you reach the nose bleeds, you are back to being called by any 2 cards. LoL.