help on how to navigate rebuy mtt

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, I have played quite a few mtt that have rebuy + topup options and I've got to say i hate this format the most, I've gotten high up in these just before late entry ends, then people topup etc and I go to short stack just like that, i guess they expect me to be chip leader to be able to survive the rebuys and addons etc, i have tried super tight play to try combat the super loose players who constantly rebuy when felted, what do you guys do in these tourneys, ? Advice ?
Thanks in advance

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those re-buy add-on tourneys are notorious for their chip lead turnarounds and often cost 2 maybe 3 times the market price at minimum.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those re-buy add-on tourneys are notorious for their chip lead turnarounds and often cost 2 maybe 3 times the market price at minimum.
Yeah, notorious indeed, I've managed to cash twice in these but gotta say , i can't believe all who cash will all rebuy+addon etc? Mind you the prizes are usually quite good (for someone who has perhaps won or final tabled one of these , I can easily see them adding on etc)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to mention the really sick players who treat it like a semi cash game, rebuy to infinty and having the loosest table image ever, i can't help but call such players down when i have AA KK QQ etc, and yes i may double up or so, but they still rebuy and inevitably almost , force me to call when i have AA and they win with junk (% wise it's bound to happen) and then I'm out , grrr , i have tried to not play against such looseness, but sometimes hard to fold top tier hands to them

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean I see them as a trap because they are freerolls so they are infested with freeloaders and the structure is so that you re-buy and you must add-on. So it is a semi-clever way of getting people invested in to spend more money. The tournament director for ACR told me that they are a "dying" structure that players shun. I generally don't like them i'v seen guys rebuy over 20 times when late registration is ending.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean I see them as a trap because they are freerolls so they are infested with freeloaders and the structure is so that you re-buy and you must add-on. So it is a semi-clever way of getting people invested in to spend more money. The tournament director for ACR told me that they are a "dying" structure that players shun. I generally don't like them i'v seen guys rebuy over 20 times when late registration is ending.

trap indeed, however i never rebuy in these as my mindset screams "freeroll" , however if i were less stubborn i guess I could treat it like a $1 tourney where some people get knocked out, the main problem is the big bankroll strategy which some players use , I'm actually playing one right now (jackpot $80,000) , and i see why players would steer away from these, problem is on acr there aren't many freezeout tourneys , the funny thing with these rebuys' though is when someone doesn't rebuy, you're like celebrating that someone is actually out :) :p

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By "big bankroll statergy" i mean i vicious cash game with increasing blinds ;)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, just playing another jackpot80k , so far after 3hrs , in the money, 49th out of 108 remaining plyrs, (1461 entrants + 489 rebuys ) , work in progress, just writing it now, will finish off the post later ,
Must say though lots of glitches on acr, froze a few times (i just left it and it resumed) almost as if there are bot players, near the bubble i was watching the knock out zone players, around 216th place, they were on like 2k, and after the rebuy/add on time, all of those players , all, had added on etc and were now on 7,5k , is it possible all of them spent $ ? , i was ranked 80th or so, so i wasn't worried, just noticing things

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm , these sick blinds , 3k/6k , I'm 50th out of 60 remaining, getting close to shoving time,
Shoved A6 and split with bully who jad A8 , lol

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then I shove again with A8 get called by J8 , and i double up, still surviving :p , 36th/50 so far and we're on a break, 3hrs 25mins past ,
AJ raise and take, 27th/50 now,
KQ call but folded to preflop madness
Blind erosion, down to 40th/43 plyrs
Q9 button shove and take it
Pots are 25k before utg acts
I'm 36th/36 now, shoving finger is ready
66 shove - 2 callers , I'm out in 35th place ( $0.88 ) , 3hrs 45mins

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well myself I hate rebuy add-ons so I avoid them because there are so many kinds you can afford to be picky. I like knockouts an ex shootouts. But to as far as strategy after the rebuy add-on period play normal don't let the change in stack size change your solid play that hot you that far

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, thanks for the feedback, I hate rebuys as well and i never rebuy myself, freeze outs etc are my favorite but hard to find, so play whatever is there and have faith and determination, hopefully in the next jackpot i can be lucky enough to lead from the front as it's so much easier to win tourneys from the front (by the way just remembered I was a late entry in the last one, 50mins late, so who knows, will try to be on time next one)
i must say in the other rebuys i used to play on netbet, i tried various strategies, predominantly ultra aggressive vs the BR bullies, alas it made hardly any difference it seemed and i had better results playing my normal game , lessons there somewhere, tricks & ideas maybe all well and good, but perhaps one's normal game with more focus/bravery/determination or whatever is the way to go,