Having to leave an online tournament ITM because of life responsibilities

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone ever sit down to play a freeroll a few hours before they have to leave just to unexpectedly make a really deep run and end up sitting out because suddenly it's time for you go to class/work/etc.? This mostly applies to freerolls, since you wouldn't want to waste $ entering tournaments you don't have time to play, but I'm curious to see who else has been in this situation.

My specific examples: A few days ago, I was playing in one of the ACR Freebuy Super Series tournaments, and I went on a heater and had a stack in the top 20%, but I had to head to class right around the time late reg ended. I ended up just min-cashing it. Also, last night I played in one of the PLO tournaments, again in the top 20-30% of stacks, but I really needed to go to bed because I had an early class (which I may or may not be in right now) - I ended up placing around 50th-60th just by sitting out.

Last edited:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you're definitely making a smart decision to leave instead of finishing it out no matter what!

For me it would mainly come down to how much equity I have and whether that's worth it based on the structure / how long it's likely to take to play out. If you want to go to sleep and have something important the next morning, and estimate that you have a couple bucks in equity, then for sure go to sleep.

Or alternatively, shove every hand. Stop when either: (a) You bust; or (b) You have enough equity that it's worth staying up :)

Aprendiz_Edu

Aprendiz_Edu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's part, responsibility and life's unforeseen events, it also happened to me to have to leave tournament for unforeseen difficulty but let's open another table gl friend.

J

jtpokerface

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s good to hear you handling your priorities and responsibilities first! If you maintain the skill you will make many cashes over a cumulative run.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That happens to me too. Some cash is better than no cash.
Were missing the best payouts, but if you play poker through instead of leaving you may have had the same result.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That happens to me too. Some cash is better than no cash.
Were missing the best payouts, but if you play poker through instead of leaving you may have had the same result.

I tell myself that I might even get a worse result too, in cases where I'm not actually quite ITM (but very nearly there). I've had a cooler ruin my dreams of winning one of these tournaments very quickly!

V

valanddon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It has happen to me to many times. Living on the west coast
of canada the time difference makes playing a lot of freeroll
tournaments cuts into the work period. I get in good and then
have to go to work, then sit out and see if I made the money
when I get home from work. Everything is set for the europe
play.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens a lot actually as others have mentioned .. I have family around a lot and sometimes they demand attention for whatever reason .... there is nothing to feel bad about in taking care of real world responsibilities .... high on that list imo is your education ... I feel you made the right choice .. poker will be there the rest of your life if you want it to be

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happens to me weekly,,,,:)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think life gets in the way for all of us at times. The worst for me was in a live tournament. We were at the final table 3 from the money when I got a call about my father in-law having a massive heart attack and my wife asking me to rush to the hospital as she pull the kids out from bed and dragged them there. Sh@t happens.

On the positive part, all the players obviously realized what had happened and why I needed to run and the agreed to put a money on the table as I needed to leave. It just covered my buy in but I will always remember that class act from the players at that table. I was nowhere close to a guaranteed cash at that moment.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just had this happen, was playing PLO freeroll last night on ARC. Got my chips up to 20K when average stack was 8K, it was 1:30 am. Went to bed and came back the next day with $6 extra dollars.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the ARC freerolls I have no intention of finishing. Just don't have the 7 hours block to play it all. My goal is run up the chips and go afk. It is a freeroll.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always falling asleep in CardsChat ACR/Sportsbetting or betonline freerolls as normally working from early in the day most days and they start at 1am.
6 hours late reg 12 hour game tried hard to stay awake after long day in work and grind,:eek:
Fell asleep in this $11 buy in game also just last night remember having a 4x starting 100k stack and 150 players left.:sleep:
Week 1 task 1

Last edited:
Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Priorities in life. Sometimes somethings just happen that take precedence over poker and you need to leave the session. Poker will be there, you can always return to it to try again.

Certainly more acceptable scenario then losing internet connection or power. Now that's just infuriating.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I start playing only when I have enough free time. Poker is a hobby for me, so if I do not have time, I just do not start playing.
Good luck.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you did the right thing. If you do not go to bed in time, it will affect your work and poker game tomorrow.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A thread full of sensible, responsible posts, nice.
icon14.gif

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is life. Not only in poker, it happen to you as long as you are still breathing.
Regardless how well your plan is, you can't keep up with unforeseen circumstances.