Have you ever busted on your first hand?

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just did today playing the freeroll at global poker. First hand I was looking at AA UTG and put in a standard raise. CO puts in a 3 bet. BB 4 bets with half his stack. I shove and both players call.

CO shows JJ and BB shows AT. I'm all excited about tripling up!!

Flop comes 4JK giving CO a set. Q comes on the turn giving BB a straight. Another K comes on the river giving CO a boat.

Tripling up would have given me a very good chance of getting ITM in that freeroll. But it wasn't what the poker gods had planned for me today.

Have you ever busted in your first hand?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only once and it was a few weeks ago. I flop the nut straight and get two players shoving all in before me (rainbow board). I of course call. Both had top pair. The board goes 99 giving the guy with A9 a full house. Absolutely sickening but at least that didn’t happen after putting in a few hours and on the bubble.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has happened to me several times but to be honest I prefer it to be in the first hand and not in the bubble or after playing 2 hours

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Too many times to count.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tons of hyper turbo freerolls so getting busted on the first hand is not weird at all. All it takes is getting AA or KK on the first hand (happens 0.9% of the time) and a maniac in front of you to jam with 88 or AT preflop and get lucky.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No hand on the preflop will give you a hundred percent chance of winning. All probabilities are calculated at a distance.

So you always need to be prepared to be out of the tournament when you go all in, no matter how big a favorite you are.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely. Especially if you find yourself joining at the end of late registration for a tournament with 10 or less BBs to start, if I see a premium to very good hand in position, it might be worth shoving and hoping to immediately escape the bottom of the standings.

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few times. Usually frerolls has a lot of maniacs and people get anxious to go all in. I try to play slowly at the beginning but if you have a premium hand you can't avoid do go all in against these maniacs. AA is not that strong on a multiway pot.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, you should not particularly consider the chances in tournaments with free admission, often people place bets clearly not according to mathematics, but according to the stars! And the AA hand in a multi-pot loses its original strength

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Funny is that usually when you busted at first hand that's a pair of aces.

Elny0006

Elny0006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes sometimes

Yes it has happened a few times, especially when I have played a hyper turbo game. But has otherwise also happened at some point. On the other hand, I usually tend to be quite careful at the start to have time to analyze my opponents a bit first, but with the right hand in the start and wrong on the table, it absolutely happens.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure. That will happen to everyone, if you play a lot of tournaments. And as someone said already, its a whole lot better to bust early due to bad luck than to play for hours and still not cash. If rebuy or reenter is an option, a situation like this is, what its for.

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA suck in this situation

This happened to me just yesterday had AA and raised. Villain 3 bets, so I'm thinking KK or AKs. I 4 bet and Villain shoves turning over AQo. the flop falls with 2 queens and run out with me being eliminated....

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happens all the time. In fact in a freeroll the chances of getting called if you shove are very high. So if you get AA and shove all in you will usually get at least one caller, and usually 2 or 3.

You usually can't get away with limping or raising because other players will then shove and the outcome is the same. Of course this is what you want with a hand like AA, but any time you're all in theres a chance you will lose.

I frequently get knocked out first hand.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
defo bust the first hand of the tournament

it's either with AA KK QQ AK

just move on to the next one, no worries

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always when I have QQ,KK,AA and Ak suited. In the micro mtt 5 dollars and under
bounty tournaments. Bit of a bingo show when you call off 75 bb+

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes the last time it was with QQ. but I always try not to put it all in my first hand and manage the pot because variance is rare on your side.

A

ankoum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me and it will happen to me again playing big freerolls and never I believe when I play for money

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sure I've busted online the first hand in many tournaments--particularly MTTSNGs like the stars 180-mans I used to grind.

But I will always remember busting a live tournament on the first hand lol. Yes I had aces all-in pre, and yes I'd traveled all the way to the strip from Summerlin just for the privilege of busting the first hand at the Aria haha. It was a long time ago though now, and since I would've had to wait a while to reenter behind all the alternates, I just went back home and played a session online instead.

J

J0k3rWright

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I went out first hand... i had pocket Aces and a player when all in with Pocket Kings....

He hit quads...

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've busted first hand with KK against AA

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just did today playing the freeroll at global poker. First hand I was looking at AA UTG and put in a standard raise. CO puts in a 3 bet. BB 4 bets with half his stack. I shove and both players call.

CO shows JJ and BB shows AT. I'm all excited about tripling up!!

Flop comes 4JK giving CO a set. Q comes on the turn giving BB a straight. Another K comes on the river giving CO a boat.

Tripling up would have given me a very good chance of getting ITM in that freeroll. But it wasn't what the poker gods had planned for me today.

Have you ever busted in your first hand?
happens all the time AA flops AK5 turn 4 river 2 other guy who allin preflop had K3
WHATCHA GUNNA DO

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep a couple times at least, AA once, not sure about the other time. If I hit great, if not always the next came.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands