Have I played this hand correctly?

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I know there are good players here and I want to share my yesterday experience and I want your advice on what was the best I could do. So here it is:

The tournament was a freeroll:
I have A5s (spades) and I just limped with it since the players in a freeroll have no respect for raises and also there were other people that limped before me and the only reason I played that hand was my late position. Anyway the flop is:

2(spades)3(spades)5(clubs). One guy in early position raises to 4 big blinds and all other folded. I re-raised him to half of my and his stack(this was the first hand dealt in the tournament) and he went all-in and I called. Was I wrong to play that hand that way since I had a heavy draw with a top pair and options for runner runner of a full house or even four of a kind? Oh and yes he had 64o.

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No you played the hand terribly from the start. Even though in a freeroll they always call raises and don't respect them you still need to raise. What if your opponent in this case was one of those players who does respect the raise...probably folds then huh. On the flop there is no need to 3 bet your opponent with a draw. If you are first to act and want to make a cbet semi bluff at the pot then that's okay but you were not the one to act first so your opponent decides to be the aggressor so let them. If a blank hits the turn you can fold and still have a decent stack left to make a move. The third thing you did wrong was your 3 bet size why not go all in you called the 4 bet all in so why not make that move first. You were unlucky that your opponent happen to flop the nuts but you didn't know that, hope this helps. Good luck on the felts!

N

nenkov407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No you played the hand terribly from the start. Even though in a freeroll they always call raises and don't respect them you still need to raise. What if your opponent in this case was one of those players who does respect the raise...probably folds then huh. On the flop there is no need to 3 bet your opponent with a draw. If you are first to act and want to make a cbet semi bluff at the pot then that's okay but you were not the one to act first so your opponent decides to be the aggressor so let them. If a blank hits the turn you can fold and still have a decent stack left to make a move. The third thing you did wrong was your 3 bet size why not go all in you called the 4 bet all in so why not make that move first. You were unlucky that your opponent happen to flop the nuts but you didn't know that, hope this helps. Good luck on the felts!

Thank you for the honest opinion :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands