Harrington on Holdém Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA, KK, QQ

AA and KK raise anywhere but limp in UTG/UTG +1 sometimes... re-raised if ur raise is called . Sometimes just call an aggressive players late re raise, if in mid pos.. then check- re raise on the flop etc etc

JJ, TT, 99

Raise strong if there is no action early .. 1-2 callers if you late position is OK .. fold if in early position or re raised - check pot odds. Never call unless in mid/late position and there has been 4+ limpers from early/mid/late positions - check pot odds

88, 77, 66

Raise if in late position, if its been folded to you or someone from late position limped in. Just limp in if there are 2/3 callers and your in mid position.... fold in early position

55, 44, 33, 22

Limp in if in mid/late position with 2-3 player limping in before you. Raise on the button/cut off if blinds are weak and there been no action early/mid position bar 1 playing in from mid/late position

AK and AQ

Raise if in mid/late position, if there is no action early . raise early position or call a early position raise, re raise a mid/late position raise. Limp in early position sometimes if UTG or UTG +1 .... if your raised, re raise 80 % of the time.

AJ suited, KQ suited and KQ

Fold in early position, raise if in mid/late position, if there is no action early . 1-2 callers mid/late position is ok to raise. Limp in, with aggressive players behind you.. pot odds on the flop.. be more aggressive if tight. Re raise a late pos raise.. and call a raise coming from from mid position... re raise a loose player sitting in mid position

AJ, AT suited, KQ, KJ and QJ

Raise if on the button/cut off/highjack and there been no action early position, 1/2 limper from mid/late position is OK. Fold if in early position... fold to UTG and UTG +1 limping.. raise in late position.. re raise a late pos raise. call a mid position raise.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So what does everybody here think about raising 99 from mid position?

Same goes for raising 88, 77 and 66 from late position?

What about raising T9s from late position?

Or treating AJ and AT suited the same as KQ and QJ?

Personally I'm use to only playing smaller pairs like 99 down to 22 and T9s, like I do suited connectors, limping in if there has been 3 plus callers pre flop - if not fold them but after reading that they should be played more aggressively, it's got me thinking... see before I was mostly playing cash games, so stealing blinds wasn't as important not to mention blinds don't increase in cash games so no need to steal to survive anyways. But yeah, what is the best way to approach online tournaments?

I mean do you sit tight and wait for goods cards and just accept that your going to end up short stacked waiting more often than not to come or when in position and play raise or fold aggressive poker but open yourself to running into someone holding AA or AK for example, what is the best way to approach tournaments online these days? I'm really sure and as I've said I more experienced in cash games but want to try some different.

I tried the waiting the playing tight and waiting for good cards but seeing as you start with 50 BB and the blind increase every 10 minutes you don't exactly have the time to wait for the cards to come, I'm starting to think tighten up in early positions and open up my range in late positions and play marginal cards like KJ or A9s, if it's folded around to you raise with them. Re raise an aggressive play from the button/cut off coming over the top, re raise them with 99 for example or just wait for good cards to come your way?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA, KK, QQ

AA and KK raise anywhere but limp in UTG/UTG +1 sometimes... re-raised if ur raise is called . Sometimes just call an aggressive players late re raise, if in mid pos.. then check- re raise on the flop etc etc

JJ, TT, 99

Raise strong if there is no action early .. 1-2 callers if you late position is OK .. fold if in early position or re raised - check pot odds. Never call unless in mid/late position and there has been 4+ limpers from early/mid/late positions - check pot odds

88, 77, 66

Raise if in late position, if its been folded to you or someone from late position limped in. Just limp in if there are 2/3 callers and your in mid position.... fold in early position

55, 44, 33, 22

Limp in if in mid/late position with 2-3 player limping in before you. Raise on the button/cut off if blinds are weak and there been no action early/mid position bar 1 playing in from mid/late position

AK and AQ

Raise if in mid/late position, if there is no action early . raise early position or call a early position raise, re raise a mid/late position raise. Limp in early position sometimes if UTG or UTG +1 .... if your raised, re raise 80 % of the time.

AJ suited, KQ suited and KQ

Fold in early position, raise if in mid/late position, if there is no action early . 1-2 callers mid/late position is ok to raise. Limp in, with aggressive players behind you.. pot odds on the flop.. be more aggressive if tight. Re raise a late pos raise.. and call a raise coming from from mid position... re raise a loose player sitting in mid position

AJ, AT suited, KQ, KJ and QJ

Raise if on the button/cut off/highjack and there been no action early position, 1/2 limper from mid/late position is OK. Fold if in early position... fold to UTG and UTG +1 limping.. raise in late position.. re raise a late pos raise. call a mid position raise.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Personally I'm use to only playing smaller pairs like 99 down to 22 and T9s, like I do suited connectors, limping in if there has been 3 plus callers pre flop - if not fold them but after reading that they should be played more aggressively, it's got me thinking... see before I was mostly playing cash games, so stealing blinds wasn't as important not to mention blinds don't increase in cash games so no need to steal to survive anyways. But yeah, what is the best way to approach online tournaments?

I mean do you sit tight and wait for goods cards and just accept that your going to end up short stacked waiting more often than not to come or when in position and play raise or fold aggressive poker but open yourself to running into someone holding AA or AK for example, what is the best way to approach tournaments online these days? I'm really sure and as I've said I more experienced in cash games but want to try some different.

I tried the waiting the playing tight and waiting for good cards but seeing as you start with 50 BB and the blind increase every 10 minutes you don't exactly have the time to wait for the cards to come, I'm starting to think tighten up in early positions and open up my range in late positions and play marginal cards like KJ or A9s, if it's folded around to you raise with them. Re raise an aggressive play from the button/cut off coming over the top, re raise them with 99 for example or just wait for good cards to come your way?

What do you think?

Harrington's book is the alphabet of tournament poker. It is designed for absolutely new poker players. To understand the basics of poker.And if you are not a beginner, then no one prevents you from deviating from the ideas of Harrington and playing your game. In any case, it will be similar to the game of Harrington. This book is an icon of poker

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just finished 6th from 434 players, so I must be doing something right haha

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington's book is the alphabet of tournament poker. It is designed for absolutely new poker players. To understand the basics of poker.And if you are not a beginner, then no one prevents you from deviating from the ideas of Harrington and playing your game. In any case, it will be similar to the game of Harrington. This book is an icon of poker

Are you referring to Harrington’s original “Harrington On Holdem” books or his latest book on the modern game that came out 4-5yrs ago?

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raising these hands from mid position isn't a bad thing, yes you can just limp in, but that doesn't disguise your hand, and if you do hit your set you really are hoping that player X will completely overplay, as other places will tell you, you should never go broke on an unopened pot, so if there are no raises its so hard to get all the money in the middle with the best hand, however if you raise and get reraised, you can decide for yourself whether you want to play with pot odds or not, also if you do raise them then that means your cbet is more likely to go through as the opponent usually has to hit, but you do not, and if you hit your set, well lets hope they got a piece of the flop too

Z

Zuuchini

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Situational thinking

Hi,
A full house is usually a good strong hand, but sometimes not. A made hand with only a Top cards can sometime be strong. All comes down to the situation you are in. Theres are a lot of all-in-junkies and they love to go all in with low and middle pair, in the begining of a tournament... ...and there you are sitting with AKs, and getting busted, again...:viking: What can you do? It boils down to not getting i love with your pockets, ever, know when to fold, wait for a better situation is a big part of the game especially in the begining. You win at the end of the tournament. You must have a better hand when calling then when you go all in. When I look at my own game am I the reason for losing. There are ways to stop those junkies, but you have to find your way . The go all in in front because you prebet is standard an they are just bad players, you seldom find them at a final table.
I have now played my game differently and it makes a different, I dont fall in love with any pockets and working hard on to trust my gut feeling. I now even have the strength to fold AA, KK made hands and this pays off. This has to do with that there is no such thing as pot comitted if you know when you are beaten. The biggest problem in poker has been me, I was the problem.:dancing::dancing:It takes two to tango.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have no problem raising 99 from any position if there is no action in front of me. If I don't hit the flop, a c-bet can represent a K or A and scare other players away. I have no problem raising T9s from most positions. In EP, I might only do JTs+. I'd give AJs / ATs the edge over KQ / QJ because of the chance of hitting TPTK. KQ and QJ lead to more difficult decisions post-flop.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm really interested about the M been using it lately converting it thanks to Starscaption