Handling the huge stacks during mid-stage

C

Caissa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed in the MTT's I play that I arrive at the middle stage with a medium or big stack only to be at a table with a huge stack, one of the chip leaders. I have a hard time adjusting myself and get frustrated at the steal opportunities I miss and probably play too tight in general. Any thoughts on how to handle a competitive stack while the chip leaders are trying to through their weight around?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed in the MTT's I play that I arrive at the middle stage with a medium or big stack only to be at a table with a huge stack, one of the chip leaders. I have a hard time adjusting myself and get frustrated at the steal opportunities I miss and probably play too tight in general. Any thoughts on how to handle a competitive stack while the chip leaders are trying to through their weight around?

Mostly I want to play them when I am in position.

Also, I don't want to slow-play against the bigstack unless I have AA.

I like re-raising him for information and generating a bigger pot in front of me.

Good luck !

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Contain not dampen your aggression.

Thanks for posting.

You have to quickly read the table to see how lose the Big Stack is. If the big stack is attacking only in the best spots then it is most likely they are not that wide in their openings.
If on the other hand they are relentless with their aggression you have to get a good not great hand and go with it.

Any hand the Big Stack folds you should be thinking time to steal. Then evaluate the situation and act.

You seem to be putting your aggression on hold, when you should be thinking aggressively every hand but the hand values and position vs big stack should dictate your actions not fear of losing your stack.

This article may have new info for you:
https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/10-multi-table-tournament-tips-middle-stage-strategy-25965.htm

:)

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No shame in folding, I know it's not the answer you want to hear but I might Play fold simulator and wait for good spot mid tourney. Option 2 Battle it out with them and Try to get in pots with them while you have position, get in cheap with small pairs or suited connectors with intentions to stack em.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really depends on the type of player you are against. Most big stack will try to avoid picking on the bigger stacks I find most times and that's a help. If they are playing against you you may need to play out or your comfort zone and 3 bet them to get them to stop. Remember they are a bid stack now but loosing a monster pot to your big stack will make them a medium or small stack very quickly. Try not yo worry about them so much and concentrate on the other stacks. Those are the ones you want to play against but again if the big guy wants to play you will probably need to get out or your comfort zone to stop him.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very patiently and from the right position. I would wait for premium hands and suited connectors and try to get in nice and cheap if possible and wait to snap them off with a nice flop. If you don't connect with the you can always run and hide. If you do connect with the flop then make them pay to play.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Press as many as you can, and if you play against the chip leader play with good game or position.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands