Hand analysis

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys, I wanted to tell you something I have a hand in my head that is spinning me, today I was playing a tournament in an App called pppoker, we were in the final stages, we were 15 people, I had a stack of 240,000 and I was number 5 They distribute them and I get an AK I was in UTG so immediately I raise 3bb (12000) the player in UTG + 3 raises me all in with a stack greater than mine question that I equal without thinking about it we stayed heads up and he with KK in the hand, they throw the 5 community cards and nothing comes out, I question that I lost the tournament and I was in position 14 but I'm still wondering if I should have called his re-raise or just left, until what point is it feasible to play an AK preflop , ok what i did ?? What do you think

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on if this villain is a maniac or not. I know I might get lit up on this post for saying this but I would be folding and not really even thinking twice about it (unless the villain is a maniac and you have been seeing him/her shove often). I think 60 BBs is way too deep to be calling a jam with AK. You would have to need villain to be jamming a non pair hand for you to feel good about it and I dont think you will see too many non pair hands do this. I would just fold and make a note of what happened on the villain. It might happen again later in the tournament(or another one) and at a shorter stack depth you can consider calling.

Just throwing this out there too that I dont think you need to open to 3x at these blind levels. You can open anywhere from 2-2.5x and should still be able to accomplish what you want to by raising. When hands like this come up and you have to open raise fold to a 3 bet you can save yourself a few thousand chips by opening lighter. If you flop what you want then you can vary your bet sizing to get it in by the river if that is your plan. You dont to raise 3x pre to get value and get your stack in by hands end.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This only depends on you.If want objective response what is most reasonable to do in the situation where are you in the money on tournament and you are 15th place then answer is NO.Unless your opponent got there by incredible mount of luck or is he going to lose internet signal in next 3 minutes.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a very though decision, but it clearly depends on the range you think your opponent might have. If she/he is opening too wide, then it's a profitable call in the long run. Personally, I have even folded QQ in those situations because I''ve gotten a bad feeling.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Experience...

I've seen this happen before. I'm pretty sure it's even happened to me before. Usually the response I would get from other players is, "That's Poker!"

A couple of things I have learned from this experience though. Typically I try NOT TO FOLLOW an all-in. I think 3BB with AK told the villain that you don't have enough confidence in your cards so he probably knew you didn't have a high pair or AA which literally would have been the only hand better than his...…... minus what the flop, turn and river would have been. I liken it to a lamb or a cow being led to the slaughter. I don't like being lead to a all-in and I use that analogy on myself for remembrance. If I go all-in with a hand I make sure to do it.....FIRST! Maybe that would have intimidated him or at least gave him the notion that maybe you did have AA and maybe he would have folded or thought longer and timed out.

Another thing I consider before going all-in is who's left to bet and what their stack size is. You will have some crazy players who will go all-in with 2/3 unsuited just because they have a bigger stack size than you. He probably figured even if he did lose to you...he wouldn't be out. He would just have a lesser stack and he would just make it back in the next few hands. So if you think you might go all-in....aside from making sure your the first to do it....also check for the remaining players stack sizes. If you still got some dudes with higher stack sizes than you.....be cautious! I'm not saying my way is the right way......I'm just sharing my opinion, my experience and the way I've developed my style over the years.

buuuuuuuut yeah...we've all been there before. That's Poker! ;)

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call at 60 BB's deep, unless their are specific ICM considerations. over 100BB's is where I don't want to call a jam w/ AKo

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
As he brought you up with all the chip leader in the ore, it was the most likely that he had a pair, since at the time of the lathe it was feasible to pay and I would have let him go and wait for an opportunity to recover the lost chips

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands