Grinding advice: 45 man MTTSNGs

R

Rockettown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone one here has much experience of these mttsngs on pokerstars.

I decided to work up a bankroll and use my own rules (rules I feel comfortable with). I have kept a very detailed excel spreadsheet (i like doing things like this) and my BRM is basically:

Play 1000 mttsngs at a certain level. If my ROI is 10 - 20% or higher, move up to the next level.

I recently finished grinding $1 45 man MTTsngs (and $1.50 turbos) finishing the 1000 games with a respectable ROI and turned a $200 starting roll into just over $600.

I then moved up the the $3.50 level (uptil now playing only turbos for an increased hourly rate) but I just can't seem to beat them at all. Granted I have had some bad variance over the last 100 games but they seem a lot harder to play. There are obviously loads more regs playing these games, and the level of play is higher, but should they be that much different?

If I was doing well at the $1.50 level should I at least be doing 'ok' at the $3.50 level? Or is it quite a step up?

My roll has been hovering between $520 and $580 for about a week as I hit downswings but occasionally get lucky and finish 1st 2nd or 3rd.

Just looking for some advice. Does anybody grind these $3.50 45 man turbos? Should I be playing the non turbo versions? (even though I'd get a lot less volume in).

I don't really play cash games, and can't think of a better way to build a roll up.

V

Vaper

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It may be a long shot, but it's something I've seen in my own game - when moving up stakes, I instinctively feel more protective of my buy-in, and play even tighter (out of fear, not strategy). Throw a turbo environment in, where ranges and behaviours are wildly different, it makes for a bad time.

This may be totally irrelevant for you, but I thought I'd mention it in case it resonates with you!

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adjusting to higher stakes can take time and you are not doing a bad job as occasionally you do end up at the final table. So i would suggest stick to what you are doing and you'll pick up on the the mistakes you are making against the regs and the types of play they are trying - just small little adjustments here and there and you should be fine. The more you play these stakes consistently you'll only get better so stick to it. Would not suggest playing non turbo versions because not only will you get low volume out of it but it might upset your rhythm. So keep your focus on only one version of sng for now. I don't know why you don't play cash so if you feel like playing give it a go - you can build up a roll playing cash too.:sheep:

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, realistically if you want 45 man advice PM me.
I've played over 2000 45 mans with over a 40% AVG ROI avg buyin over $11.
No joke, used to to 45 man coaching on 2+2

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would worry about his advices ^ lol

Well, just play the usual, really tight until there are like 20 players, then have couple of swings at it in position and try to chip up to the final table.

Same as always, just don't go overbetting everything thinking you are going to get called as you did in the lower buy ins, make wise bets

R

Rockettown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for reading and taking the time to post advice.

I'm not quite sure where I have been going wrong. Are the $1.50's that much different to the $3.50's? In the past I have played too tight so have worked on shoving lighter in the end game (still assessing ranges though) and have found that people call a hell of a lot lighter. Combine that with running badly and I just can't seem to cash enough to profit.

I completely understand variance and the math behind it, so this isn't me moaning about running bad. Is it possible though that the bad players with a bit of cash completely miss out the $1.50's and just start directly at the $3.50's?

It feels like there are a lot more fish in the $3.50's but that's probably because they're all better than I am. Also I think I have to work on my short stack play, as the final tables last a lot longer (more regs/better players final tabling).

I'm just a bit disheartened so I'm dropping back down to $1.50's to try and get some confidence back and work on my game.

Anymore advice on beating these mttsngs is very much welcome.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would worry about his advices ^ lol

Well, just play the usual, really tight until there are like 20 players, then have couple of swings at it in position and try to chip up to the final table.

Same as always, just don't go overbetting everything thinking you are going to get called as you did in the lower buy ins, make wise bets

I'm not here to battle people.
That said...
Try being a winning MTT player before you cast the first stone.
STAT check.
Also your advice here is arbitrary at best and grossly incorrect at worst.
You do want to grind early, until Antes kick in it's a super TAG game then you have hopefully fostered a table image sufficient to steal some in good spots. etc etc

Dlew123

Dlew123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wish carbon would have 45 man sit n gos

weldphaser

weldphaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels like there are a lot more fish in the $3.50's but that's probably because they're all better than I am. Also I think I have to w

I'm just a bit disheartened so I'm dropping back down to $1.50's to try and get some confidence back and work on my game.

Anymore advice on beating these mttsngs is very much welcome.

first thing bro goood post, and i think your BRM strat is fine, next don't ever be ashamed in moving back down a level, im a cash player , and i've moved back down from 10nl-5nl, from 25 back to 10nl, and more recently twice from 50 nl - 25nl, currently @ 25nl again. no biggie though, its part of the game. be proud of yourself for realizing when to do thid , many a great poker players have literally destroyed themselves with their pride. **** pride, it only hurts:) (pulp fiction stab there HAHA)

I would also take into consideration dropping the turbo's for a while, variance gets to hi too fast imo, when your more advanced you can certainly play the turbos to increase your winrate,

These we're the tourneys i played when i started playin in 08, and was still allowed to play on stars, like you i started at the $1 's and eventually made it to the $50 dollar 45 man's . i made a lot of money in 2010 playing these , and the 180 man sng.

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first thing bro goood post, and i think your BRM strat is fine, next don't ever be ashamed in moving back down a level, im a cash player , and i've moved back down from 10nl-5nl, from 25 back to 10nl, and more recently twice from 50 nl - 25nl, currently @ 25nl again. no biggie though, its part of the game. be proud of yourself for realizing when to do thid , many a great poker players have literally destroyed themselves with their pride. **** pride, it only hurts:) (pulp fiction stab there HAHA)

I would also take into consideration dropping the turbo's for a while, variance gets to hi too fast imo, when your more advanced you can certainly play the turbos to increase your winrate,

These we're the tourneys i played when i started playin in 08, and was still allowed to play on stars, like you i started at the $1 's and eventually made it to the $50 dollar 45 man's . i made a lot of money in 2010 playing these , and the 180 man sng.

100% on dropping the turbo aspect especially to the variance - which is these is multi faceted; not only fewer hands etc but people tend to play much "faster" in response to the more rapid blind levels.
The 180 mans are nice as well, much slower game that I tended tow ait longer until trying to squeeze and run any lines of substance as well.

The 27 mans I also have found to be quite viable as well and can be played next to/in conjunction with the 45 mans.