O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - 1400/2800 Ante 280 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP (MP): 53.86 BB (VPIP: 18.82, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 12.12, hands: 85)
MP+1 (MP+1): 37.67 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 15.79, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 20)
MP+2 (MP+2): 12.92 BB (VPIP: 11.25, PFR: 8.86, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 82)
CO (CO): 21.27 BB (VPIP: 20.99, PFR: 11.25, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 82)
BTN (BTN): 12.13 BB (VPIP: 22.64, PFR: 19.61, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 54)
SB (SB): 22.09 BB (VPIP: 18.32, PFR: 7.87, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 132)
BB (BB): 18.69 BB (VPIP: 10.34, PFR: 3.45, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 29)
UTG (UTG): 23.43 BB (VPIP: 13.33, PFR: 11.90, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
Hero (UTG+1): 27.93 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Dealt to Hero: KcKh

fold, Hero raises to 2.05 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 2.05 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop (6.5 BB, 2 players): Jh 9s 7h
Hero bets 2.21 BB, CO calls 2.21 BB

Turn (10.92 BB, 2 players): Js
Hero checks, CO checks

River (10.92 BB, 2 players): Qc

Hero bets 6.36 BB, CO raises to 16.91 BB and is all-in, fold

CO wins 23.64 BB

This is a hand from the 5.50$ Mini Marathon already in the money, I'm not quite sure how many players remained, but I think it was like about 500 players out of ~5500. The hand left me with a short stack and I had to go all-in shortly after, where I busted the tournament.

So the first question I think would be if I made the correct play by folding.
On the River I bet to get value from maybe hands that hit on the flop but didn't improve on the turn or river and hands like AQ, KQ, QT and maybe even Q9s Q8s if he calls those preflop or hands like TT or 88 if he thinks I'm bluffing in that spot with a missed draw.
But Villain shoves, so at that moment I though he might have had Jx, that he checked the turn with, but after reviewing the hand I was pretty sure he would never check Jx (except J9s, even though Villain could certainly raise that hand on the flop) on the turn as there are too many flush draws and straight draws on the board. So the only hands that are left, are either bluffs or 99, 77, J9s and KT (maybe also QQ, but I'm pretty sure he would 3Bet that hand, maybe not though as he has a 0% 3Bet frequency, but maybe only because he hasn't gotten any premium hands)(maybe even T8s, but I'm not sure he would call that preflop against a UTG+1 raiser and because I had a pretty tight image, that's if he had a HUD or noticed that). The question is if he ever bluffs in this spot, I think if he had a flush draw, either a flopped one or a turned one, he would bet the turn after me showing weakness, and then would bluff shove the river. Anyways, I think any way I look at it, Villain has way more combos that beat me than he has bluffs, if any.

The second question is if I should have played that hand entirely differently.
On the flop I of course bet for value but I think I could have made the bet a bit larger, instead of 33% pot, something more like 45% pot, or even more, because there are so many drawing hands that will call, and of course hands with a Jack.
On the turn I check (at that moment because I didn't want to scare off hands with a 9 or 7 and to not make the pot to big for the case that villain had a Jack), thinking back, I think it would have been better to bet on the turn, because all of the drawing hands would still call. Maybe a 55% pot Bet, or even bigger. When Villain checks back the turn, I was pretty sure I had the best hand and the river was a blank, at least for the flush draws, so I decided to bet for the reasons I state above in the second paragraph. I could have checked the river and induce bluffs from missed draws, which in hindsight would have been I think a better play, but also maybe a lot more costly, as I would have probably even called a shove then.

ps: After writing this post and remembering the 'tells' ( in terms of timing and the type of player he seemed ) I got from Villain and putting all the information together, I think the most likely hand that he had is KT.

Also, why did the Images for the cards not work in the post? Did I copy the Hand wrongly from PT4?

I would really appreciate any comments, tips on the hand and how I could have played it differently or criticism of my play and thinking process.

Thanks!;)

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Definitely bigger bet on the flop. Checking on the turn is fine. On the river though if you think he could have KT you should definitely call, because you are blocking it and also you are blocking KJ, another very likely hand.

But, I personally don't think he should have KT in his range. For that reason I would fold KK with heart and call when we don't have heart, because we don't blocked busted flush draws.

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely bigger bet on the flop. Checking on the turn is fine. On the river though if you think he could have KT you should definitely call, because you are blocking it and also you are blocking KJ, another very likely hand.

But, I personally don't think he should have KT in his range. For that reason I would fold KK with heart and call when we don't have heart, because we don't blocked busted flush draws.
That's true, it just seems like the one that makes most sense.

Ok, I'll certainly keep that in mind for a next similar spot, thanks a lot.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How about betting a bit bigger pre-flop? Is this a normal sizing for a tourney to just raise kings to 2bb? Seems like an invitation to opportunistic hands. I think he hit a set on the flop with nines or sevens and completed a full house. It's a good fold.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
On the River I bet to get value from maybe hands that hit on the flop but didn't improve on the turn or river and hands like AQ, KQ, QT and maybe even Q9s Q8s if he calls those preflop or hands like TT or 88 if he thinks I'm bluffing in that spot with a missed draw.

My personal thoughts are the same like you already outlined above. I think Villain definitely holding a Q in his hand combined with missing FD or SD. In such cases, I see a lot of players pushing on the river - even they missed the nuts ...
Of course, I could be wrong, too! But if he holds the nuts - why not just calling your raise on the river??? This is not the way to setting up a trap and complete it :confused:

O

OloMeister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How about betting a bit bigger pre-flop? Is this a normal sizing for a tourney to just raise kings to 2bb? Seems like an invitation to opportunistic hands. I think he hit a set on the flop with nines or sevens and completed a full house. It's a good fold.
The reason for the preflop sizing is mainly the stack sizes. Yes, in tournaments you normally don't open to more than 2.5x unless very deep. At least that's how I learned/do it. Don't know, maybe that's a mistake in itself.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet bigger in that flop, when you check turn I think He hasn't any reason to check turn with any piece he connected, He could to have that Q but you have KK, also He has 20 VPIP, that's too much and he could have any hand like 9T, 87, QT. I would call

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Generally you played very well, and I think you fighted as much as it was possible, because why a Q on the river and not a K! On the other hand when you saw the Q and the CO raising, it means he might had a K 10, or QQ, so you should fold at that point, because the raise you did, doesn't shows so much determination as the CO does with his all-in.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first mistake - weak rise pre-flop, most players on BB call so miniraise with any hand, on CO opponent had middle connectors like JT, JQ I think.
The second mistake - a small preflop contbet - if opponent had a top pair he can easy call your even pot rise, not only 2.21BB, what he must call with any draw, even gutshot.
Third and main mistake - check on turn. If you continued to bet with JJ on the board, you could determine whether you are on the top or on the bottom of your opponent.
On the river, despite the possibility of bluffing your opponent, you fold correctly - you gave too many opportunities for the opponent to hide the strength of the hand if he had J or inexpensive to make a straight with draw.

Folding in Poker