Getting to the final table

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve noticed lately that I have no problem getting to top position at the beginning of a tourney but sadly loose my grip as middle looms. With even a short stack going into the bubble and final phase I can build my stack again. Why is my mid game lagging??

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve noticed lately that I have no problem getting to top position at the beginning of a tourney but sadly loose my grip as middle looms. With even a short stack going into the bubble and final phase I can build my stack again. Why is my mid game lagging??
You just won't receive the same cards thru a whole tournament,,,fold more mid-game,you'll notice alot of big stacks sitting out,and this is the reason.:icon_tong

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the later stages of the game you need to play with a wider range of cards... and increase the aggression...)) good luck)
:beerglass

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just won't receive the same cards thru a whole tournament,,,fold more mid-game,you'll notice alot of big stacks sitting out,and this is the reason.:icon_tong

Thank you! Very good advice!

art00r

art00r

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely you play too many hands. Try to narrow your range of playing hands

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
running slow worm or quick steps of the cochlea.;)

timberwolf94

timberwolf94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i seem to have the same problem. ill be in the top 5 of a tourny for about half the game then get knocked out before the money. i dont know how to stop that because i usually have the best cards when i get knocked out and they hit on the river.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hardest thing is to hold the stack, not play it. That's what happens to me. Will play a couple of good hands and hide. And then you start to play with the garbage hoping to catch the combination and eventually lose everything...

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
..in the middle you need to be active. In this stage, the more aggressive players are building bigger stacks, the weaker ones attempt to fold their way to the money. These are your targets! Use your advantage when in position to steal blinds. In the end stage of tourney, blinds are much bigger- more risk-more rewards. Open up your starting hand range to include suited connectors and small pairs to over come big kickers, with a possible set.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the game there are many bad players, as they go falling the game begins to become more difficult.

It is advisable to play tight at the beginning of the tournament, and to begin to force more as it gets closer to the end, the range of hands tends to change according to the moment of the tournament, however it is better that the player has the ability to change his game in accord of the tournament variables.

So, if you start playing loose, you have a good chance of getting a good stack early in the game because of a lot of weak players, but if you come across a better player, you're more likely to lose.

Close to the ITM is the time when many players will try to play more agressive and take advantage of players who are folding their hands to get on the ITM, and after the ITM these shortstack players have the tendency to shove more often in the intention of double their chips, for being in the ITM and do not care so much about losing, the intention is to accumulate chips to try to get in the best positions.

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya mid range is where the endurance kicks in, after u play a range of hands to build your stack in the beginning. during mid range is the time to tighten up. and once you make the money playing smart, u can become more aggressive with your stack. very easy to become bored and play loose hands when sitting big, play tigher then. we learn from our mistakes, we all been there!!!!

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mid game is where you have to play your cards more conservatively, you have to wait for good cards, not play every hand. Also pay attention to where you are at ranking vs pay out ranking as well

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if this is a problem then chances are your playing too many hands ,relax its a marathon not a sprint its ok to fold lol good luck pal.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get an early chip lead, I try to avoid the temptation of playing the weak hands. I play multiple games so that I always have something to do to keep from getting bored.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I find I lose concentration and discipline when I am a large stack, now I try and ix it up while playing disciplined. Also, it is not easy to make a final table, if I make a few in a week I consider it a good week.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i seem to have the same problem. ill be in the top 5 of a tourny for about half the game then get knocked out before the money. i dont know how to stop that because i usually have the best cards when i get knocked out and they hit on the river.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also I think it is good to look at the stacks around you. If there are some small stacks that will probably shove, don't play a hand that you are not prepared to call that shove with, otherwise you can burn chips calling or raising only to fold pre flop to a shove.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
..in the middle you need to be active. In this stage, the more aggressive players are building bigger stacks, the weaker ones attempt to fold their way to the money. These are your targets! Use your advantage when in position to steal blinds. In the end stage of tourney, blinds are much bigger- more risk-more rewards. Open up your starting hand range to include suited connectors and small pairs to over come big kickers, with a possible set.

Thank you! Very good advice

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also I think it is good to look at the stacks around you. If there are some small stacks that will probably shove, don't play a hand that you are not prepared to call that shove with, otherwise you can burn chips calling or raising only to fold pre flop to a shove.

Agreed!

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get above the average stack, I know I'm ok so far. I tend to play tight and aggressive at that point, letting the all in dummies knock each other out. If top ten get paid and there are 18 remaining, I use the clock to get max time for them to leave.I have gone from 11th or 12th to 2nd many times this way in freerolls w/o playing any more hands. I won the 100gtd precisely like that with some all in luck at the end.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing in the middle stages of the tournament, while having a large stack, you need to participate in large numbers of banks to build up your stack even more

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mid-stage is tough . A lot of the weak platers are gone , so you have many decent players on different agendas . Makes it harder to put people on a particular hand . Tighten your game up through this stage and save your chips for the end when it really matters .Good luck .

M

midmichpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The challenge is holding on to your 'big' stack from early wins while still being able to compete against folks late in the tournament. If you hold too tight during the middle you're going to to put yourself in a really weak position leading into the final tables.

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well never forget the opening of the movie Rounders... Matt Damon's character goes 'Now, you basically just want to win one BIG hand every hour'. Alas, limp, free sneak peeks if your cards are luke warm perhaps, but I find playing very conservative early on helps.

In fact, I have found lately right before cashing - everyone tightens up so this is when I tend to let loose a bit, mostly because most people I figure are thinking 'I'm just not going to risk the 3 hours I put in while I'm 15 minutes away from at least cashing in this tournament ' so they fold more often.

I'm 3 years new to poker so, this might not be good advice.

K

Kostik007

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, the rules of poker need to know But unfortunately very much depends on luck and it's very sad