Getting donked pot size bets

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I had a bunch of issues at the heads up sit and go's yesterday with guys who are just trying to run me over, but specifically they kept calling my pre flop raises and then donking either a pot size bet, or an overbet and I'm not sure what to make of it or how to adjust to it.

Hero raises to 40 with Q8s
Flop: 2d 6d 3h
Villain donks for 180 (just over pot)

Hero raises to 40 with JTs
Flop: 7d 4s 6s
Villain donks for 80 (pot)

Just a couple of hand examples there. Outside of those it was happening relentlessly and seems to just be a low stakes players idea of trying to win the game through blind aggression. It's not as difficult to deal with when it's just the standard half pot donk as I can defend more of my range but I'm not sure what I should be thinking when it's a pot size minimum bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these two situations there is not much, you can do, other than fold, since you missed completely, and you dont even beat some hands, he might be bluffing with. The way to punish someone, who donk bet all the time, is to raise for value, when you actually have a hand.

It seem like, he might just be going crazy on low boards, because he think, you missed. In that case any pocket pair can probably be raised for value, and even your best A high. Or you take a hand like AJ or 55 and simply call him down, if he continue to barrel, and the runout is not terrible for you.

Also if he donk bet a lot, his checking range is probably very weak, so you can C-bet almost 100% of the time. You can also fold some of your weakest hands to him and compensate by using a larger open size than 2BB. In that way you charge him more to see a flop, and you have a stronger range to defend with.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have you considered that they are simply trying to protect their hands?
The boards you posted both contain a flush draw and tricky straight possibilities. They could be betting so much to destroy your pot odds for chasing those...

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fundiver is right; you've completely missed in these examples and should fold + move on without worrying too much about it. It's a lot better that your opponent is betting right out instead of check-raising. Assuming he's donk-betting with pot or larger sizing over 50% of the time, just wait until you have a decent hand (such as bottom pair, or ace-high on a fairly dry flop) and call him down. He'll pick up a lot of small pots and lose most of the bigger ones to you.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This does not just happen online. I played in a wsop circuit event and other lately and it happens live too. These flops look to miss your range and they know it and they are most likely protecting there small over pair or top pair. Just fold and move on. They let you off cheaply.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My tactic is also to wait for a high card pair to raise, but unfortunately in these cases luck enters and not on my side. :)

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although I agree with folding much of the time, you could float your over cards that have a back door draw some of the time. The flop is often the cheapest in which to float. You may have a big decision on the turn and you have to plan in advance for how you will handle continued aggression from your opponent when the draw improves and take a stand with your best draws on the turn if you do this. But if he is constantly donking on flops that favor his range, you know he has likely missed some as well.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep folding their donk bets, then when you hit something, they will be on a big trouble!